anybody ever..

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyklr

anybody ever..

Postby trkyklr » March 10th, 2009, 4:02 am

practice fall strategies in their spring hunts...like bustin up the flock & trying to call the gobbler back to you?

is this practice acceptable to the old skool standards??

trkynut54

RE: anybody ever..

Postby trkynut54 » March 10th, 2009, 4:17 am

I thought about trying that last spring. There was a gobbler below me that wouldn't budge, then a hen comes along to the right of him and her and I had a mouth battle for about a half hour. I thought about getting up and running down to her to get rid of her but chickened out at the last minute. She took him away.[:@]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 10th, 2009, 4:57 am

I have busted up a flock accidently and used fall tactics to call in and kill a gobbler.  I would not do it intentionally because of my belief that the more pressure you place on a gobbler, the harder he is to kill in the future.  I recall vividly walking around a curve and getting a good accidental bust up of three fine gobblers.  I constructed a hide at the site of the scatter, waited one hour, made one call, my best interpretation of a gobbler yelp, and in five minutes I was standing over one of the fine gobblers.  This was a relatively late afternoon hunt and I went back the next morning and took one of the remaining two.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 10th, 2009, 6:58 am

congrats on a coulpe of good hunts silv...i busted a flock of gobblers once in the spring ,figured i scared them to death so i went home...that was in my first year of hunting...haven't spooked a flock like that since...i did spook one last year & made a large circle set up & 45 min. later called him to the gun gobblin' his frickin' head off..never would have known he was ever spooked....you never did answer the second part of my question...is it acceptable by old skool standards?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 10th, 2009, 12:26 pm

2 years back ,,,and one week after season ended,,,there were 2 longbeards a struttin' in a big cornfield. the corn was about 12inches high . they were really carryin' on . they came in to my gobbler yelps from about 300 yards . they hung up at 30 yards and proceeded to threaten me with their thunderous gobbles for about 10 minutes . then they shut up and walked back to where they came from.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 10th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Old school standards?  Hmmmm, I don't know.  I would not intentionally bust up a flock of gobblers for fear of affording them too much education, but I will always bust a bunch of hens from the roost if they are far enough away from the roosting gobbler.  I am also certain that busting the flock from the roost in the afternoon can often result in a pretty quick kill the next morning.  Again, I have only done this accidentally.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » March 10th, 2009, 1:30 pm

I feel turkeys are busted up alot in nature..After seeing a red fox split up 5 gobblers I was watching at 75 yds...My thoughts were confirmed...I had worked those birds for almost 2 hrs..Once they were broke up they went nuts ...To bad I ended up missing..I have scattered a flock here and there with great success but I do use it as a last chance tactic...
turkeykiller

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 10th, 2009, 3:17 pm

thanks silv,your tactics are as old skool as i know...i've never busted a group of birds in the spring in order to call them back for the kill...although i have thought about it several times...when the hens were bein' the usual...B's with itches

Return to Strategies