WI Youth Season

ticklishtompro

Re: WI Youth Season

Postby ticklishtompro » April 8th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:My hat's off to all of you guys participating in the youth hunts. You've kind of hinted at it, but for a lot of these kids it isn't really about the hunt, it's about having a mentor to help get them started down a path for their lives. I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, and would never have gotten into it if I didn't have friends who were willing to take a clueless newbie out and show him the ropes. You've inspired me to get involved with the youth hunt next spring, either here in MN or western WI.

Gopher, I am the same as my family didn't hunt. My brother had some friends that took him deer hunting after he was out of high school, and he in turn got me involved. I actually got him to try turkey hunting after I got hooked, and well the rest is history. That is why I have such a passion for the LTH program. I would have loved to participate in it, but it didn't exist at that time.

Scott, you are a good man for what you do. This year for our LTH program we had a kid who has had a rough life. His father is in prison for abusing his mom and him, and we paired him up with a great father-like figure for him. He missed a bird, but the thanks I have gotten from his mom for the mentor I put him with has been awesome. He loved the hunt, but he got so much more out of the whole experience that it makes it all worth while. The rewards from a hunt like that are so much deeper and meaningful than harvesting a bird. It makes all the work worthwhile.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 9th, 2013, 10:41 am

sunday was a much better day weather wise .........The turkeys on the other hand had other ideas. Lots of gobbling and could hear the hens clucking all at once sounded like hundreds of them . Unfortunately the birds are flocked up and although they answered my calling they wouldn't budge .tried being quiet ... tried gobbling all to no avail... did see alot of deer some very close and sandhill cranes up close ... amazing how big they are .dozed in the afternoon sunshine ,so although no bird i believe my daughter had a good experience none the less. her tag is for week 3 so we'll try again then.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 9th, 2013, 11:45 am

Go get em boys and may God bless your every effort as you try to reach troubled youth. I see these kids after they mess up their lives. I am chairman of a non profit Christian group that mentors, provides lifestyle coaching, material assistance and spiritual counseling to juvenile felons in prison. We hear this story over and over of how they done as they please and that no father figure was present. It's either that or mom, dad or both are on drugs or in jail. Most have never had a positive influence and you'd be surprised how many will straighten up when they see someone cares and why it benefits them. By the time we see them they have made some serious mistakes that will make getting into a normal productive life much harder. Most wish they could redo their lives, but face reality of what is done. Now there are some that are just plain deranged and insist on being criminalistic and you just have to leave them to their own destruction, but it is great to see the light come on. Sadly I can not offer hunting as a sport to these young men, but I do take them fishing and most of them love it. Scott, tell that young man you have a friend who knows if he doesn't like life now it sucks even worse in prison.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 9th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Do you think some youth would be interested in some fall turkey dogging? If so Jon and I should be able to arrange some days.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 10th, 2013, 9:23 am

Hmmm, wonders if I'd shave if I could pass as a youth :P I'm about the same height as a kid :lol: .
I would think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some youths that would be happy to go with you guys?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 11th, 2013, 1:18 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Hmmm, wonders if I'd shave if I could pass as a youth I'm about the same height as a kid .

:lol:
Any time you want go out and Vic won't make you shave.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 18th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Totals for our youth hunt.
26# 9"-7" beards 1" spurs
23.8# 10-1/4" beard 1" spurs
22.8# 9-1/4" beard 3/4" spurs
22.11# 9-3/4" beard 1-1/8" spurs
22.10# 10-1/4" beard 15/16" spurs
22.4# 9-3/4" beard 15/16" spurs
21# 4" beard 1/4" spurs
16.8# 4" beard 1/4" spurs
20# 4" beard 1/2" spurs
17.4# 3-1/2" beard 1/4" spurs
15.8# 4-1/4" beard 1/4" spurs
14.8# 4" beard 1/2" spurs
13# 3-5/8" beard 1/4" spurs
18.3# 4-3/4" beard 1/2" spurs
We had 66 Youth/LTH hunters this year with only 14 birds taken, we only had 5 birds taken Sat. the rest were taken Sun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Previous

Return to Wisconsin