Thermo-Cells

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
maineute

Re: Thermo-Cells

Postby maineute » April 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

Thermo cells are worth every penny, they work, had one run out on me and it was like I flipped a switch and the bugs were all over me. crazy. Always carry a refill now.

ncturkeytalk14

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » April 17th, 2013, 11:58 am

Here in Eastern NC, between the coast and swamps, ya need to look out for the skitters, you could probably shoot'em with a shotgun, and we are wrapped up in pine tree's (tickhaven).

The best tick prevention that we have seen is the pemethrin, (if you go to walmart it is in the camping section), spray your clothes, shoes and socks (not your body) and let it dry you'll be good for several weeks. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Produc ... r/19887389

Thermocell is the bomb for skitters and black flys. They will keep them away, they have reproduced the smell of a chrysanthemum flower, "The repellent is allethrin, a copy of a repellent that naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers. It repels mosquitoes, black flies, and no-see-ums, and will not harm humans or pets". They are worth the money from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... nstraint=0

If you were to buy a couple of boxes of Winchester Turkey load shells you could send off and get one free. It just probably want be in, in time for this turkey season.

Great Huntin'

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 17th, 2013, 8:09 pm

We have those mosquitoes with tiger-striped legs along the NC coast that are just plain mean. They can almost stand flat-footed a hump a turkey. I wish I were kidding. All the barely moving black water creeks to the sounds, in the ditches beside the road where they borrowed soil to build the road, and the swamps are ideal 'skeeter breeding grounds. I can remember duck hunting at Bodie Island along the outer banks and seeing swarms of mosquitoes I mistook for flocks of ducks. You learn to set the thermo cell upwind of you when the breeze gets up so you're protected. I love mine. They even make an earth scent repellent pad for 'em now too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 19th, 2013, 7:08 am

Ditto what "Cut" said. Powdered sulphur for ticks and chiggers. Works good around ankle openings, waist, wrist and neckbands and dust your "drawers", being careful not to swing the sock too hard in the crotch area :lol: . Put it in an old sock and dust liberally. Keep away from eyes.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

retranger

Postby retranger » April 19th, 2013, 7:48 am

Have any of you fellows ever checked out the "bug skinz" at cabelas? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

I ordered a top and pleased on how it works, they have tops, bottoms, hood and gloves. could be a alternative
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion