effective range of #6 shot on gobbler

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
wpshooter

effective range of #6 shot on gobbler

Postby wpshooter » April 15th, 2013, 10:34 am

What is the maximum effective (killing) range of #6 shot for a gobbler head shot ?

Reason I ask is because I had a nice bird that stopped at about 50 yards last Saturday and I didn't think he was going to come any closer, so I put the cross-hairs mid-ways between the top of his head and bottom of his neck and the shot knocked him down on the ground and he flopped a couple of times and was back up on his feet and was walking away (not running) and was about 70 to 80 yards away before I could get back on him, so I did not shoot again.

I can't believe that some of the shot did not hit him in the head area, unless he just happened to lower his head just as I let the shot go.

So my question is, is it possible that some of the shot hit his head but did not have enough force to kill him at that range ????

Thanks.
Last edited by wpshooter on April 18th, 2013, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Backlash

Re: effective range of #6 shot on gobbler

Postby Backlash » April 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

To your question, yes. I'm sure you've patterned your gun so maybe it was a bit of gobbler fever?

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 15th, 2013, 8:39 pm

You patterned or gun? 50 yards was probably too far to shoot. see what kind of penetration you get on a piece of tin or plywood at 50 yards. You need to know your equipment and what it's limitations are.
Twitter: @edvogler

wpshooter

Postby wpshooter » April 16th, 2013, 5:24 am

Backlash wrote:To your question, yes. I'm sure you've patterned your gun so maybe it was a bit of gobbler fever?

Thanks but I don't believe it was gobbler fever because I have killed groundpigs out to almost 400 yards, of course, that was not with a shotgun.

I just had a chance to talk to an experienced local turkey hunter and he told me that #6 would not have enough energy at 50 yards, recommended that I switch to at least #5 and possibly #4 combined with #2.

air leak

Postby air leak » April 16th, 2013, 7:49 am

My sons and I shoot Remington Magnum Turkey Loads. Copperplated, 3 inch mags, 2 oz of # 4's.

I believe that too much is made of counting pellets in a 10 inch paper plate, @ 40 yards.

Number 4 Shot hits harder than Number 6 Shot, at 40 yards. Number 4's have greater penetration and knock down power.

IMO, 4's would have killed that turkey.

wpshooter

Postby wpshooter » April 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

air leak wrote:My sons and I shoot Remington Magnum Turkey Loads. Copperplated, 3 inch mags, 2 oz of # 4's.

I believe that too much is made of counting pellets in a 10 inch paper plate, @ 40 yards.

Number 4 Shot hits harder than Number 6 Shot, at 40 yards. Number 4's have greater penetration and knock down power.

Air Leak:

Thanks.

I am starting to come to the same conclusion.

Seems like everyone concentrates on how many shot can be placed into a pattern of a certain size at a certain distance BUT give no thought to the idea that if you place for example 200 hits in that circle and if they don't have the energy to sufficiently penetrate the intended target, then all of those hits are off little consequence.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 17th, 2013, 10:32 am

A heavier pellet will carry farther than a lighter pellet will and won't be effected by gravity as much. You hit that bird hard enough to knock him over, but didn't have enough penetration to kill him on the spot. A lighter weight shot tends to open the pattern up more at a distance, you'd of been better off aiming at the top of his head, not half way up his neck. Most of your pattern hit him in his chest not in his neck. 6's will kill a bird at that range if you consider the gravity effect and hold higher. 4's would of been better because they fly flatter and have enough weight to penetrate deeper at a longer range and doesn't loose energy as fast as a 6's does. When I load, I put a 5 in for the first shot and 4's second, if your shooting a single then your much better with the heavier shot 4's.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm

wpshooter wrote:What is the maximum effective (killing) range of #6 shot for a gobbler head shot ?

Reason I ask is because I had a nice bird that stopped at about 50 yards last Saturday and I didn't think he was going to come any closer, so I put the cross-hairs mid-ways between the top of his head and bottom of his neck and the shot knocked him down on the ground and he flopped a couple of times and was back up on his feet and was walking away (not running) and was about 70 to 80 yards away before I could get back on him, so I did not shoot again.

I can't hardly believe that some of the shot did not hit him in the head area, unless he just happened to lower his head just as I let the shot go.

So my question is, is it possible that some of the shot hit his head but did not have enough force to kill him at that range ????

Thanks.

Over the years I have evaluated many different shotshells, chokes and guns with most conventional sizes of shot, #4, #5 & #6, that we normally use for turkeys. Those evaluations have included lead and various tungsten-based shot types. There is one common thread and that is that after 40 yards, regardless of the shot type used, patterns start to open up very quickly. Pellets may have enough retained energy to cleanly kill a turkey, if you have enough of them strike the head/neck area but the likelihood is that pellets will hit the turkey in non-vital areas, that will not cause immediate death but may cause death at some later date.

It is for that reason that organizations like the NWTF and others, have recommended that we take shots at 40 yards or less. It's not to say that you can't kill a turkey at longer ranges but the possibility of wounding him increases exponentially beyond the 40 yard range.

To directly answer your question, a swarm of #6 lead pellets does have sufficient retained energy to cleanly kill at 40 yards.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dawei

Postby dawei » April 18th, 2013, 2:06 pm

air leak wrote:My sons and I shoot Remington Magnum Turkey Loads. Copperplated, 3 inch mags, 2 oz of # 4's.

I agree. I use Pb #4's in my 20ga gun(s). My longest shot was in April 2011 (42yds) on a big 25lb Merriams and he was dead before his beak hit the ground. I held in the base of his neck and put 19 pellets there; launched from a Mossberg® Mdl 500C pump through a Wrights® SWARM™ .555" choke.

The specific load I use is.....
• Winchester® Supreme® 20ga 3" Magnum 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 Cu Plated Pb #STH2034

Last edited by dawei on April 20th, 2013, 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 20th, 2013, 8:17 am

I would think some more information is needed here. No?

What type of shot and shell are you shooting? Lead or heavier than lead. That can make a big difference. 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch 2 3/4 inch?

What does your pattern look like at 50 yards? 6's will give you a denser pattern than 4's.

4's have more energy but you have fewer pellets so will your pattern be dense enough at 50 yards?

Can you hit the small vital area of a turkey's skull and vertebrae at 50 yards with enough pellets to insure they are hit every time?

At 50 yards I am sure you hit that turkey, maybe in the head but not the vital area of the head and neck. Surely you hit the body as your pattern is pretty wide at that range and it would be hard to miss a turkey totally.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Next

Return to Shooting