Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

dewey

Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

Postby dewey » March 18th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Here are the rules according to Gobblerman's Contest Rules:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=883

The number of teams and number of team members on each team will be determined by the number of forum members that sign-up; Teams will be determined mostly at random, but with some consideration for the experience and expectation of success of those that sign up to play. We want to have a mix of experienced hunters that will likely kill one gobbler (or more) combined with less experienced hunters that may not be as likely to harvest a gobbler.
The sign-up information will be used to categorize each entrant in the contest so that we can create teams of approximately equal experience and expectation of success. After all the entrants have been categorized, the teams will be chosen randomly from within each category as much as possible.

Scoring:
a) the winning team will be determined first of all by the total number of team members on each team that kill a gobbler. For example, if a team consists of ten members and each team member kills a gobbler and no other team accomplishes that, then that team is the winner.
b) First tie-breaker....if two or more teams tie, then the winning team will be determined by the total number of mature gobblers in each teams score from the above (jakes killed will be subtracted from the team score)
c) Second tie-breaker...if two or more teams tie in the first tie-breaker, then the winner will be determined by the total number of gobblers (jakes and mature) killed by each team during the season. (each team adds up the total number of gobblers killed by team members for the season)

Oath of Ethics and Participation: This contest is completely on the honor system. All forum members who sign-up must agree to compete fairly and ethically in the contest. Further, all that sign up are expected to participate fully in the contest and report on this forum as to their success (or lack thereof). Please, if you are in the contest, do not disappear on us!

It would be nice to have everybody post photos of their birds, and we would like to see a single thread where everybody posts pictures if they can get it done. However, picture posting is not a requirement. Please try to take good pictures to post...recommendations...clean the bird up, smooth the feathers, respectful pose with good background, hunter smiling, take in the sun (if possible) to show feather coloration, etc.

The contest will run until everybody who is participating in the contest is finished hunting this spring. I suspect the final tally will be made around the 1st of June, or thereabouts.

Most importantly,....have fun, and hunt safely and ethically!

Good Luck to everybody!

Please post a picture of your gobbler here, along with a story about the hunt if you have time, so we can keep track of who has harvested gobblers.

Good luck to everyone on team #2!

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on April 17th, 2013, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Re: Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

Postby ylpnfol » April 13th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Well not really sure if this counts or not but here goes. I took the landowners son this morn. I had a plan to get one early if they were where I hoped, cuz he had to leave early to take his kid to t-ball. Couldnt have worked any better. Gobbler gobbles,I call couple times no response. No more calling from me. Gobbler flies down. I hit glass call. Do fly down cackle,gobbles back. Hen sails off hill lands 60 yds away. Starts feeding our way.Tom is gobbling every now and then getting closer.He pops out into field halfway down hill. Runs to bottom of hill. Crosses a small ditch and jogs, strutting up to decoys which are 15 yds in front of me. Partner shoots, I think he missed, bird got airbourne, shoots again, hit it but bird still gaining, his gun jammed, I swing and knock it down. So it was a team effort so to speak. Verrry good hunt. Done by 6:35. Season is young. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself if'n this one is dq'd :shock: ... dang if my partner didn't miss again today, i'm beginning to see a pattern..... :evil: Hey, how 'bout that hat 8-)
Attachments
13 gobbler.jpg
13 gobbler.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 16th, 2013, 12:22 am

Your hats bring you good luck so far David :lol: . Congrats on the bird, glad he didn't get away from ya ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » April 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Hat looks great Ylpn,

I'll have to wear mine and see if it gets the same result. ;)

Great story and way to go!!
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 16th, 2013, 2:00 pm

sorry to report that my trip to Ky for the opener there went by with zero turkeys tagged. In our old honey hole we heard zero gobbles opening day and only a few at daylight off in a distance. We moved tot hose birds Sunday and still had tough going. I finally had position and a bird working when some yahoo literally walked into the spot the bird was and flushed him off. He wasn't 75 yards from me and coming. Then On Sunday evening a hooked up with my Kentucky buddy and we called three long beards in to 40-60 yards, but never pulled the trigger. I had a nice longbeard at 40 paces, but two more were strutting just 20 yards back and I wanted to double up. After 45 minutes of sitting dead still and hold my gun propped up I had to let down. Of course you know I got busted and they ran off. I guess I was greedy and should have just shot the one in range, it ranged at 43 yards which is on the high end of my effective range.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 16th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Hey Dewey, should I start a "miss" thread? I'll start it off. Had one coming down a woods road at the back of my property this morn. He gobbled right in front of me and stuck his head up behind a dirt pile that was between us. When he lowered it, I put the gun on an opening on the left side of dirt pile, aimed at the road, you know he came into the woods on the right hand side of dirt pile, came about 10 yds, stretched out saw me, started puttn turned and started to hi tail it, I swung, put it on him and shot a dogwood 6 ft in front pf me, didn't touch the turkey :( .. I sure hope after he cleans his pants he'll come out to play again.... I wonder what tomorrow will bring.....
David

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 17th, 2013, 10:14 am

back in the late 80's i belonged to a hunt club in cumberland county va., there were a few " turkey hunters " in it, but one kind of took me under his wing, so to speak, we would go up to the cabin in the fall and spend the week turkey hunting before anybody else showed up to deer hunt, we lost our prime land in '92 and the club disbanded more or less, but we have hunted together EVERY years since then at various places, i attended his 75th birthday party back in march, and he had a knee replacement in jan., but you just can't keep this guy down, he went w/ me today, we set up on the turkey this morn, i got behind him to call the bird to him, but the dang thing did an end around, [ i can't believe what he came thru to get to me, guess i sounded ok to him ] anyway, he wasn't going in my buddies direction so..........so we head to the other end of the farm, we set up on a cut corn field, and put out 2 hens and a jake, we settle in , and i pull out my phone to post my kill, i look up and a turkey is strutting out at 100 yds headed to the decoys, just a little soft stuff to keep him coming, as he could see the dekes for a long way and they weren't moving, he got just over 3/4 of the way to us and ran the rest of the way, up to the jake....big mistake.....we agreed that this was the first time, in all the years we've hunted together, that we both got a bird on the same day, it was a good day in the turkey woods, i sure hope we have a few more....
Attachments
mc rv gobbler.jpg
mc rv gobbler.jpg (91.93 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
dt rv gobbler.jpg
dt rv gobbler.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
David

dewey

Postby dewey » April 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Dang David you are off too a great start! It is hard to beat hunting with a good friend but both of you getting gobblers the same day is awfully tough to beat.

I did get a Jake on Thursday, April 11th, in Kansas and I spent the rest of the time slowly tightening the noose for a gobbler but I couldn't tighten it enough. I will be back at it in Minnesota May 3rd.

I will post my Kansas story under the Kansas state thread hopefully tomorrow.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 18th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Sorry to report guys the turkeys are torturing me this year, i drove down to Ky today for a one day hunt. would you believe I had 6 different Gobblers within 50-60 yards and could not get them in to the shot. It was a fun day but empty. I saw a total of 11 gobblers. They would not answer calls and i walked up on three different birds on access roads. Two I had just called before going around a bend. Maybe i'll get a late season trip down and they'll be ready. Ohio opens Monday so maybe then I can tag a bird.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

dewey

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2013, 8:46 pm

eggshell wrote:Sorry to report guys the turkeys are torturing me this year, i drove down to Ky today for a one day hunt. would you believe I had 6 different Gobblers within 50-60 yards and could not get them in to the shot. It was a fun day but empty. I saw a total of 11 gobblers. They would not answer calls and i walked up on three different birds on access roads. Two I had just called before going around a bend. Maybe i'll get a late season trip down and they'll be ready. Ohio opens Monday so maybe then I can tag a bird.

Sounds like a great day in the woods even though you couldn't get one into range. Good luck on the next hunt.

Dewey

       

Next

Return to Team 2