Rain chalk

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
spitten and drummen

Rain chalk

Postby spitten and drummen » April 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

How many use it and does it make a difference. Also does anyone use it on their pot calls. Also if you use it on pot calls what surfaces. Please give the benefits if there are any. Thanks
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

retranger

Re: Rain chalk

Postby retranger » April 15th, 2013, 7:26 am

Never heard of rain chalk only the water proof calls.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 15th, 2013, 11:04 am

Yeah they make it. Need opinions from people who have experience with it. Does it improve sound quality. Does it make your calls useable in the rain. I still thought that even if a wood box call would play in the rain wouldn't soak into your box and cause it to swell and potentially ruin it. Same as a striker. Wouldn't it act like a wick and soak all that moister into it and potentially ruin a good striker. I know you could let it dry out but I would be worried that it may change the sound quality Of the call or the strikers. Thanks
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 6:32 am

I will admit I never do use chalk so I might be wrong on this. If I remember correctly I think there is some type of oil in that chalk and I think it will mess up the call or striker. With that being said, I would take a striker that I hardly use and try the chalk out on it.

Hey Morgan, what was that chalk you used that messed up a box call last year or the year before? Was it this type of chalk or something different?
Is it turkey season yet?

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 20th, 2013, 9:21 am

Like Dewey, I've never heard of it. However, according to the custom call maker, Billy White of White Hunter Game Calls, the only chalk one should use on boxes is white because it has no color pigment that contains the culprit, oil. I will say that I have used colored chalk and have "gotten away" with it. It seems that call makers that sell the colored chalk wouldn't do it if it would run the calls they're sellin'. Just sayin' :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 20th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I used my kids play chalk. It is put together using some kind of wax that will ruin a good call.
South Carolina Low Country

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 20th, 2013, 8:09 pm

It is white chalk that has no oil or resin in it. Look up woodbutcher game calls and check it out. There is a good video on it also. I ordered some and it came in. Gonna try it out.

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 20th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Oh and they sent me a hickory striker for free. They put a drop of super glue on the tip and put some of the chalk on it. Put one of my slate calls under water and went to work on it with the striker. Really good sound and consistancy came out of it.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 21st, 2013, 5:23 am

Now that's truly amazin' :shock: Guess ole Billy was right about the white chalk :D You are a braver soul than I for even tryin' it
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 21st, 2013, 9:53 am

I really wasn't trying to push people toward it I was just inquiring about it. To be honest I like it so far. I really believe if y'all would try it out you might be surprised . I know I was. I did my experimenting on some calls that I never use anymore until I see if there is any negative effects. The only bad thing I see so far is that I'm not the one who invented it.lol.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion