Illinois

ads1

Re: Illinois

Postby ads1 » April 2nd, 2013, 8:47 pm

Thanks Chief, Turkeys were in the wheat fields today. They are still all grouped up and they were quiet this afternoon. It was 25 degrees last night. The 3 long beards were hanging together; only one was fanning and he was missing some tail feathers. They were enjoying themselves! :D

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 3rd, 2013, 10:40 am

Here in central Illinois they are still all grouped up, on Easter Sunday I saw about 30 together in a field and 7 were strutting. They don't like talking much yet either. Hopefully warmer weather coming will get them going for our youth season this weekend.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 4th, 2013, 9:31 am

where are you hunting in central IL, ilhunter?
i have tags for fulton, henderson and knox
i am still seeing big groups of birds and some flocks starting to break up. this warmer weather should help things catch up.
this time last year i already had found a couple batches of mushrooms! 8-)

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 4th, 2013, 10:07 am

I hunt in Shelby County, This time last year i was picking mushrooms and consistantly watching about 5 different gobblers with diffent hens just counting the days until season starts. This weekend my 7 yr old boy is going to try to get his first bird and most of the birds weve been seeing are a few miles south of were we hunt. They seem to migrate up into my area every year when warm spring weather gets here, but this year they jsut havent made much of a move yet.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 11th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Birds were still grouped up on Monday of this week. It has rained and although there are still groups of birds, I am now seeing some single birds and small groups of 2-3 birds. A major rain storm passed through Illinois last night and it is still misty today. Total rain around 1.5 inches. Birds are out in the fields. Second season opens on Saturday and it is suppose to be sunny but much cooler from high 70's down to the 50's. Mushroon season is close! :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 14th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Noticed Saturday April 13 that the turkeys have definitely broken up into small groups and frequently see single hens walking in the fields. Saw a long beard and hen in a canola field this evening and a single hen in a wheat field. Since I did not draw a 3rd season permit, I will have lots of time to scout and observe the birds for the next 10 days.

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 15th, 2013, 10:31 am

birds are still moving around a lot her. Had a real nice tom with 6 hens on trail camera 2 days straight last week, went and scouted to try to find there location this past weekend and it seems they have moved somewhere else for now. I thin its going to be a tough season.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 17th, 2013, 6:36 am

Turkeys were gobbling this morning when it thundered. It rained last night and may rain this morning before clearing off this afternoon. Since I don't have a tag for this season, I located the gobblers and came back home for some coffee. :D I believe the breeding season is in full force.

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 17th, 2013, 8:15 am

I've had a hard time hearing them this week because of the storms and rain that has been rolling through. I hope your right that they are bredding good now that will help out a bunch, cool front coming in on friday but im going to hit it hard this weekend.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 17th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Saw a couple of pairs today out in a wheat field and a hen in a breeding position , but no gobbler. Breeding season is in full swing in southern Illinois.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois