setting up on multiple birds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
scratchnpurr

setting up on multiple birds

Postby scratchnpurr » April 14th, 2013, 10:10 am

Here's a problem I've never had before. I joined a new club this year and they have a very large population of turkeys on the property. Most of the members are deer hunters so the turkeys are only seeing a few hunters per season, so they are not pounded like public land birds are. :shock:

What do you do when you're crow, hawk, owl gets answered by multiple birds? what bird do you setup on and why? this would be early morning. Do you pick one bird or try to find a location that gives you a shot at two or maybe 3 birds?

I've never had this problem before so I'm a bit clueless, yes I know poor pitiful me...serious question though, how do you pick which bird to setup on?

Thanks again.

ylpnfol

Re: setting up on multiple birds

Postby ylpnfol » April 14th, 2013, 10:25 am

yes thats quite a problem you have ;) , personally i would go to the one that i knew i could get closest to w/out flushing him, this will entail that you know the property, the closer the better at flydown, or if you can't hunt long on a given day, go to the one that is closest to the truck....it depends on the circumstance of the day really.....imo
David

You never know, unless you go

maineute

Postby maineute » April 14th, 2013, 12:27 pm

I agree with yipnfol you have to know the area and set up on the one that gives you the best chance for a kill. It would also help to know which one does not have a hen with em.
Personally I would set up some where in the middle at a place where I thought that they would strut and see what I could call in.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 14th, 2013, 1:07 pm

If you out early enough in the morning well before daylight and you hear the first bird that gobbles, most times that's the boss gobbler. Most times I don't make the birds gobble in the morning, I wait for them to gobble on their own. Once the boss gobbles the rest will answere him, once they all start gobbling I'll pick a bird that's off by itself away from the others. I'll move in as close as I can and set up. When that bird gobbles again I'll answer him, and him only, the others will hear you calling and answer you, just ignor them answere only the bird your set up on and talk only with him. He may not gobble much, it might be the boss or a bird that got his butt kicked and does want to attact a lot of attention. Work that bird with your calls, if he answers you cutt his gobbles off with your calls, if not just give him some soft talk and show him your interested only in him. The others will gobble often trying to get you to answer them, just ignor them. If it isn't the boss, the boss may come to make sure another gobbler isn't getting one of his hens, the others may come trying to steal you away from the boss. At flydown get excited with your calls, then tame your calling down to a mix of calls, loud and soft calls. Your the new girl in the neighborhood and if your only paying attention to one gobbler than the other will come to see who you are.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

scratchnpurr

Postby scratchnpurr » April 14th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone,

I know where the boss gobbler lives but I can't get near him without getting busted. He's the oldest for a reason and he's in the thickest tangle he can find when he turns in for the night.

The area they are roosting is along a big creek and it makes a hairpin turn around the area I'm hunting so finding a smaller bird to chase may be just the idea I needed. All of the birds will be able to listen in and might come to horn in. I've only been working on the boss bird, I've seen him several times and he's a monster. Maybe I need to find a higher percentage target.

I'm still learning the area, which is one of my biggest problems right now but I know this ridge and surrounding creek bottom quite well now.

Thanks for all the advise, I appreciate it.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 14th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Your old birds and ones that have gotten their butts kicked most times will roost away from the others sometimes 50-200 yards, those are the ones your looking for. If you can't find one or they are roosted closely together, try running some fighting purrs right when they're on the roost or just before flydown and keep running them until one shows up. If I have one roosted away, when he gobbles I cut his gobbles off with some mid volume cutting, then go to the soft tree talk, I do that everytime he gobbles. That tells him "Hey I'm Talking To You", that's worked numerus times for me. First you have to have that birds full attention to where he talk to you and you to him, then you can control him and make him do what you want him to, not what he wants to do. I cutt at him n tree talk on the roost, then I do a flydown and aggessive cutting on the ground with a mix of other softer sex calls in with it, breeding yelps and sex purrs, if he still hasn't headed my way I'll throw in some Jake yelps or gobbles after a bit of ground time. More times than not they'll be headed your way on or off the roost. Veiw the Turkey School post in Calling, to learn the different type calls.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies