Opener

ylpnfol

Re: Opener

Postby ylpnfol » April 10th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Nice job Charlie , strange y'all's season starts before ours, aren't you lucky, except of course for the sh$tty weather. Good for you for even going. Nice bird. 2 beards is cool. 97in the sun here today, the other end of the spectrum. We open Saturday can only hope my outcome is the same . Good luck on the rest of your seasons.
David

You never know, unless you go

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 10th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Congrats on the bird Charlie!! :D
It will be interesting to see what more birds weigh this year in your area. The birds taken so far around here in the LTH and youth season have been average size. Most of the 2 year olds around the 22lb. mark. We did not have the ice crust like you guys did, and with all the agriculture here there was always freshly spread manure for them to pick through. It will be interesting to see as the season goes on what the weights are.

We are in flood warnings here till Saturday, hopefully the turkeys have their scuba gear, and chest waders might be good for hunting. I will be out Saturday calling for a lovely young lady, so we will see how it goes, perhaps floatung the boat for turkeys like Mr. Elk????
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 11th, 2013, 6:21 am

congrats on a nice double beard and big kudos for stickin out the crappy weather.
i am getting out the rain gear and tent today with showers forecast for the first three days of my opening season next week.

putt

Postby putt » April 12th, 2013, 8:05 am

charlie elk wrote:
More gravelly yelps from me, he gobbled from the trail; 16 feet and the snow net separated us, as you can see he did not win the race.

I checked into the forum to see if anyone was having first-period luck in this weather. I'm not surprised to see that it's you, Charlie.

Nice hunt & great story details. Looks like I've got to be the one that asks what everyone else apparently already knows ... what's a "snow net"? I may need one when my period starts next week in NE Wis. Either that or steal one of wife's sheets & cut a head hole in it. My camo doesn't look like it will match what I'm seeing out my window today.

Again, great story. Thanks.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 12th, 2013, 10:16 am

putt wrote: what's a "snow net"?

I am sitting against the tree dressed in snow camo with a sleeveless Mossy Oak Breakup Elite One vest. A bit of camo paint on my face, a head net would have fogged up my glasses. With the dark vest my chest blends in with the tree while snow camo arms and legs blend in with the rest of the scenery.
snow net set turkey view 04102013.jpg
Picture taken from the turkey's last point of view
snow net set turkey view 04102013.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 587 times

I purchased this Camo Systems net from Cabela's 3 years ago. Usually I use it to hide in plain sight in open fields while hunting in DECEMBER! :roll: not April. Oh well - whatever works. eh?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 13th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Tough hunting this morning. The wind was howling and the snow and sleet pelted you in the face. We hunted the pines on a downward slope out of the wind where I hoped the birds would also find refuge. We ended up having one great encounter with 5 strutters coming in with a bunch of hens. The hens figured out something was up and a shot was fired, but the birds won the battle today. The war is not over and hopefully with the winds laying down tomorow morning we will try again. The woman I am calling for has never shot a mature gobbler yet but has shot a jake. So wish us luck before the weather turns ugly again sometime tomorow.
Attachments
ResizedImage951365903299379.jpg
ResizedImage951365903299379.jpg (451.21 KiB) Viewed 563 times
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 13th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Yeah these birds still aren't broken up much, my hunting partner had a flock of about 40 come into the field this morning out of the wind, there were 7-8 toms in that bunch. They wouldn't listen to any of his calls, but he was only using soft hen talk. Told him forget that, get nasty with them you need that loud deep rasy sound to get them to even look at you, he said I'll try that in the morning if they come around?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 14th, 2013, 9:36 am

ticklishtompro wrote:The woman I am calling for has never shot a mature gobbler yet but has shot a jake. So wish us luck before the weather turns ugly again sometime tomorow.

GOOD LUCK! and most importantly enjoy your hunt.
We are in the middle of another snow storm here on the west side of the state hopefully it gives you time to hunt before it arrives on your side.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 14th, 2013, 11:52 am

A good morning in the woods, but not the outcome we had hoped for. The birds were gobbling off the roost, but mostly at the crows and an owl and giving us a courtesy gobble every now and then. They flew off the roost straight away from us and gone. We made a move after a little while and did see 3 gobblers, followed by 2 hens. Kind of weird as usually the gobblers are trailing behind the hens. We sat for a while longer, but the birds didn't make a sound after they hit the ground. We decided to go try and find some birds to play with. Right across the road was a gobbler strutting on the old railroad tracks, so we snuck along a pine planation and got within 60 yards of him. I tried some soft calling and finally found he liked a lot of purring and throwing in a cut every now and then. He began gobbling but would't come any closer. Then a hen appeared out of the pines and joined him on the tracks. I began doing some more purrs and the hen started coming right down the tracks to us with tom in tow. She got about 20 yards and my gunner moved a little to much and the hen busted us. She stood there alert, but a few more purrs settled her down. She then did an about face and walked past the tom and down on the other side. The gobbler was at about 35 yards and I told her to take the shot. Just then 2 jakes came flying in right above our heads and landed in the trees. This was as she shot, and I don't think either she got her barrel completely out of the brush, or the gobbler moved quickly as the jakes came in. It was a good hunt, but then the sleet and snow started and she called it a day.
Oh, well, we will try again next week as my wife has a tag.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Previous

Return to Wisconsin