Report from Turkey Camp -- Wow! What a ride!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

Report from Turkey Camp -- Wow! What a ride!

Postby shaman » April 13th, 2013, 3:51 pm

This was The Opener here in KY. Angus and I went out to the Honey Hole. I've never seen it like this. We had a bunch of gobblers honoring our calls. It went quiet after sun-up; my theory is the sandwich truck comes by and they all go out on break or something. A little later we had hens come in on us, then a gobbler showed up and started to mount a hen just on the other side of a bush from us. Then there was some serious flogging going on just out of view, then a gobbler showed up less than 10 yards from us and poked his head out. . .

Drat! I could not get my gun up before he was gone. He hung around for a while though-- thought we might call him back in. Funny thing is I nailed a gob in the same exact spot there last year on the Opener, and he never saw me. The diff? Today it was sunny. Last year it was cloudy.

Then another gob came out in the road about 40 yards out. In the past, I've nailed three gobs from that same stretch of road, but this gob found the one spot where it was easy to make me. Curses! Foiled again.

The wind came up. We got up to stretch, and three jakes showed up at the blind. As long as we stayed still, they just stood there watching us, but as soon as Angus reached for his gun. . . Vooom! Gone.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Report from Turkey Camp -- Wow! What a ride!

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 13th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Hang in there Will, later this aft or tomorrow morning could be the ticket? At least your into birds and they're working your area.
Good Luck.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 13th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Yeah with all those birds around. It's just a matter of time. Good luck
David

You never know, unless you go

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 13th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the report and I'm glad the sun is shining somewhere!

Been cold, cloudy and trying to snow here for a week...
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 13th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Sounds like you've got a lot to look forward to this season, shaman. Have fun & good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 14th, 2013, 7:12 am

Go get 'em and introduce the "dirt nap" to an old gobbie :D
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » April 15th, 2013, 11:03 am

Thanks for that report Shaman, I got excited just rolling it over in my mind. Good luck, and luck forward to the update.

shaman

Postby shaman » May 5th, 2013, 1:11 pm

I'm back. I survived. I cannot be certain, but I think no gobblers were seriously harmed. For 15 days of hunting and a total of 5 tags between us, the shamanic dream team drew a zilch. There were some close calls. I hope to get some podcasts out of the material I recorded, but as far as meat in the freezer? Zip. Nada.

I'm spent. I need a shower. I need to pick ticks. I need to crawl in a hole and lick my wounds.

Details:

It's Over
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

dewey

Postby dewey » May 5th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Sounds like you had a pretty exciting hunt! Good luck and I am sure it is a matter of time for the shaman dream team.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 6th, 2013, 4:19 am

Dewey, unfortunately our season is over in KY.

Shaman, this was a weird spring to say the least. I saw more hens than anything else and none of them had a gobbler in tow. The only hunting tactic that worked for me this spring was to setup camp in a spot that I knew the turkeys liked to be. One hunt I sat for 4 hours and the other successful hunt required sitting there for 12.5 hrs, not fun at all.

Now the count down is for October 26th, the first day of the fall shotgun season.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion