Changing up calls??

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
spitten and drummen

Changing up calls??

Postby spitten and drummen » April 11th, 2013, 11:55 am

Ok , you get a bird responding but he is not really fired up. Do you continue to try and work him with that call or do you try to change up to a different sound to get him more interested. Next , you walking old logging roar and one gobbles fairly close. Your pretty sure he has no hens. He responds time to time to crows but not to any calls you are making. What's your answer to this. Just a couple of scenarios to play with passing time
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

spitten and drummen

Re: Changing up calls??

Postby spitten and drummen » April 11th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Come on. Nobody acts like they want to reply to the topics that get posted.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 11th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Well I don't call much, but I would definitely change up my call in both situations. More importantly, I would change my location and see if that helped. I may even try to sneak up on that old boy and shoot him. I'm new to turkey hunting so take the info for what it is worth.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 11th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Everyone has their own way of calling bird, so this is just my opinion on it. When your set up and strike a bird with a call, I use that call to bring him to the barrel, no matter what call it is. That's why we practice so much with our calls, it's not just to be good at calling, it's more to learn to be sufficient with running each call. Learn how to control it, how to make it sing, how to run it softly, everything you may need to do with it to seal the deal on a bird. With that said, if I'm sitting there runninng calls, which ever call I get that bird to strike with is the call I'm using to finish him off with. I don't like switching calls half way through a bird. That bird answered that call because something triggered him to, the sound, the pitch, the tone, and if you switch calls for whatever reasons you run the risk of that bird not liking what you switched to? Even though your better running a different call, that bird liked what that call said to him and the way it said it, switching may send that bird a different direction? Even though a call may sound very closely the same to our ears, that bird can tell the difference, that's why he answered that call and not one of the other calls you may have run.

If that bird won't respond to hen talk, I'll switch up and run gobbler or jake talk at him to see if he'll respond to that first before I try hen talking him to death. If he still won't respond, then I'll get more aggressive with my hen talk and may throw some gobbler talk in with it. If he still won't respond, then it's time to try him from a different angle, relocate and see how he responds to that? If not than try whatever you want to, your not out anything, he won't respond to anything you've tried so you have nothing to loose.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 12th, 2013, 12:01 am

I
spitten and drummen wrote:Ok , you get a bird responding but he is not really fired up. Do you continue to try and work him with that call or do you try to change up to a different sound to get him more interested.

I would try to be easy with calling at first since the gobbler isnt fired up. If he hasnt moved to me within say 30 mins then I would try and go from a different angle on him if the terrain allowed. If I couldn't move then I would try and get aggresive with him and see what happens.

If strolls off a different way then I will make sure to try him the next day and see if he is a little more cooperative. :D

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 12th, 2013, 7:03 am

I think it matters what time of the season and where you're hunting for how to call and move on a gobbler before I could give an accurate answer. I've had early season, henned up gobblers courtesy gobble back and not come any closer because they were already with hens. I've also had pressured, late season gobblers in an open strut zone area that would call back and not budge because they were waiting on & expecting that hen to show herself. By the second week of the season, some public land birds have also already heard most every song and dance hunters of varying calling skill levels could throw at them and they wouldn't act/react the same way as a lightly pressured private land bird that has almost zero experience with hunters calling to them. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to your question without being able to evaluate the circumstances of the hunt first.

In general, I try to get them fired up with a few cutting sequences and see how he reacts. Something as simple as leaf scratching and lightly purring on your call may be all that's required to seal the deal. If I know which way he's going and can get out ahead of him, my chances are better. If a gobbler is walking a logging road by himself & gobbling, I don't see why he shouldn't react well to calling, especially if it's late morning. That turkey should end up wearing a tag. Gobblers don't always need to be fired up to be huntable either. It sure helps, but is not absolutely necessary. Turkeys are some pretty curious birds. They may take their own sweet time investigating the source of the calls they heard and if you push the issue, the hunt could be ruined before it has the chance to happen.

Just how I see it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 12th, 2013, 8:11 am

Great answers. The only thing I would try differently than the above is I sometimes will walk away from him calling about 50-75 yards and ease back to where I struck him from and quit calling completely. This has worked for me several times.

shaman

Postby shaman » April 12th, 2013, 10:18 am

My view on this is a little different. I do a lot of pre-season scouting at my place and I sit for long period during season and do very little except listen.

I frequently hear these one-gobble-wonders, and I chalk most of them up to a bird that just isn't motivated, at least not yet. Let's say sunrise is at 7. At 0730 I hear a gobble 200 yards off. He ain't stomping on my hen calls, but he is at least seeming to honor them. I do a few more, and all I get is silence. I figure all that was was a gobbler that just had to get a gobble out of his system, and now that it's out, he's fine and happy. On the other hand, I may have a gobbler at that same distance and azimuth at 0900 that closes the distance and gobbles louder when I go silent. It might be those are two gobs, passing through the same chokepoint, or that might be the same gob getting some food in his belly and deciding to look for some love.

I listen to hens a lot too. What I generally hear is a lot of fuss surrounding flydown and then mostly clucking and feeding calls except for those few hens that get cranked up and want the nasty. Most of them don't stay lit up for long though, so if a gob wants it, he has to come on the double if he wants a date.

My point is this: a gob that gobbles once in the morning and does not follow up on every opportunity is not going to get much noogy, unless he already has hens in sight. Therefore, most gobs that gobble only once and then disappear are probably not warmed up enough to be of bother or they are henned up. An hour or two later, they may be receptive.

Overall, my strategy is a bit more theatrical than most folks. I go somewhere and make the noises of a hen or hens out doing their daily business -- a little turkey tableau of sorts. I try and fit into the overall fabric of the morning woods and let gobblers know that there are hens in this given area and they are receptive. Once in a long while I get gobblers at flydown, but mostly what I am setting up for is the later part of the morning. By 1000, I may have half a dozen gobblers closing the distance on me, trying to find that little horny hen and her frends. When that happens, I go mostly silent and let the gobblers' drive bring them in. A stray one-gobble-wonder does not usually perturb that strategy in the least.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 12th, 2013, 10:38 am

I don't think I'd change calls, Scott gave a very good answer. There was something in that call that got that gobbler to respond so I'd keep using that one. The last bird I harvested I worked for about 30 minutes and was close to running out of time, I figured I would just stop calling and wait to see if he came in or I'd just back out and try again the next day. Well, after about 10 minutes his little red head popped up over the hill and was met by a swarm of #6's. I was running a mouth call and a push pin, I guess it was too much for him. Like they say curiosity killed the turkey ( or something like that ) lol.
Twitter: @edvogler

Return to Strategies