Not Neighborly

charlie elk

Not Neighborly

Postby charlie elk » April 11th, 2013, 2:05 pm

After Wisconsin treats you all so neighborly by letting all our neighbors buy all the turkey tags they want at $15 each. Minnesota comes along and raises the NR fee to $96 :? for a 5 day one bird hunt?! $100 with "convenience fee"
Sure hope there is a good weather guarantee included in this price. ;)
Where did the MN nice go?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Not Neighborly

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 11th, 2013, 4:54 pm

To be fair its $60 for the 1st non-res Wi tag and 15$ for each one after, but I hear yah Charlie. WI is tough to beat. Don't feel too bad, us residents only get 5 days and a single bird here as well...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 11th, 2013, 6:11 pm

That 20% NR increase over 2012 was quite a jump above and beyond the "inflation" rate. But yeah, I know when does a government ever worry about inflation when they're doing the inflating.
The welcome mat is still out to all here in WI the new wild turkey capitol of the world. :D So come on over and enjoy. You get 3 tags here and 3 weeks to hunt for the same price...
OK I'm done with my commercial... ;)
later,
charlie

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 12th, 2013, 3:54 am

Lets see $100 equals to maybe one and only one turkey? I would be willing to bet that is there way to outsiders outside the door.

Is the turkey pop. in MN that bad to where you can only kill one turkey?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 12th, 2013, 9:13 am

kygobbler wrote:
Is the turkey pop. in MN that bad to where you can only kill one turkey?

No, not really, especially since spring gobbler harvest has almost zero impact on populations, and there have been so many left over tags the past few years they have decided to go to unlimited OTC tags for the last few seasons. People here don't like change much and love to be regulated. Some were up in arms two years ago when MN DNR consolidated turkey zones from 40+ to 12. MN has always been a bit slow/conservative with their game laws.

As a result turkey hunting really isn't that big a deal in MN. Most people only get to hunt a max of 5 days a year and take one gobbler, so hardcore turkey hunters (in my mind people who identify themselves as turkey hunters first and foremost, as opposed to people who also hunt turkeys) are rare here compared to other states where people simply have more opportunity to hunt and improve their skills. The end result is a bunch of deer hunters who dabble in turkey hunting and will kill a turkey each spring the same way they deer hunt. They spend a week scouting out their stand location (blind) on some field or food plot, then sit there for 5 days and wait for a bird to walk by. The small group of dedicated turkey hunters in MN do a lot of traveling to other states. I do most of my hunting in WI. If it wasn't for the tradition I have of hunting in MN with friends I wouldn't even bother hunting here. My hunting areas in WI are closer, see less pressure, have more birds and more liberal seasons. Plus every tag after the 1st is cheaper in WI for a non-res than a resident tag in MN.
Last edited by Gopherlongbeards on April 13th, 2013, 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 13th, 2013, 6:50 am

Pretty much "spot on" Gopher I am little disappointed in the increase, but tell me something that has not gone up except my
wages. When I started coming to MN in 2000 or so I think it was 63.00 bucks, so that is roughly a 30.00 increase over 13 years. No different than most other things. Dump out your turkey vest; get a pen & paper, then add up what you have in there, plus some of your other toys.
This may be my last trip to MN for a while but not because of the cost, I have had the best vacations of my life there.
Minnesota "nice" is priceless, anybody who lives there no's what I mean...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

dewey

Postby dewey » April 16th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I don't think Minnesota is that far out there on NR turkey tag costs compared to most states. However it looks that way since WI is such a great bargain for NR hunters. I just hunted in Kansas and my two tags cost me $130 but compared to the gas, food and motel it was only about 20% or so of my final bill. So my point is if it cost me $40 more for tags in Kansas I would still have went and had a great time.

As far as the turkey population in Minnesota it is getting better and the population is better than the MnDNR had expected according to their turkey hunting plan. I would not be surprised to see the bag limit raised to two gobblers in the next few years. Perhaps it starts with just a few zones.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 12:51 pm

When I posted this thread I meant it a little tongue in cheek. I am a born & bred Minnesotan and still consider myself only a CHIT (cheese head in training). Or as I sometimes say a Minnesotan in exile. :D

That being said we can continue this friendly debate.
I do think the MN NR license fee is out of line compared to nearly all other states. In all those other states who charge the same or more they allow several weeks of hunting time. MN only allows 5 days. So on a cost per day basis MN is in a high price league all by itself.
Justifying the high fee by comparing the other costs associated with hunting are red herrings.

The establishment outdoor writers in WI are trying to build pressure to raise license fees here too. So stay tune WI may catch up.
later,
charlie

dewey

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2013, 1:45 pm

charlie elk wrote:When I posted this thread I meant it a little tongue in cheek. I am a born & bred Minnesotan and still consider myself only a CHIT (cheese head in training). Or as I sometimes say a Minnesotan in exile. :D

Good one Charlie :lol: This is a good talking point. You are correct in the fact that many states have much longer seasons but I think that when most people go to hunt out of state they are only there for a few days up to a week then it is back home. So having a moth long season doesn't typically do much good for the NR hunter unless a NR hunter lives in close proximity to the state he plans to hunt and then would make numerous trips back and forth.

For instance I know turkey junky is in OK, KS and NE and probably only in those states for 3-5 each even though they have seasons that are much longer. Of cousres those states have bag limits of 1-3 birds. My point is that the money is about the same as other states, except WI which is a crazy good bargain, and the season may be longer but the average hunter will only spend 3-7 days in those states.

Good topic for discussion.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:As a result turkey hunting really isn't that big a deal in MN. Most people only get to hunt a max of 5 days a year and take one gobbler, so hardcore turkey hunters (in my mind people who identify themselves as turkey hunters first and foremost, as opposed to people who also hunt turkeys) are rare here compared to other states where people simply have more opportunity to hunt and improve their skills.

I think you nailed the fact that a buddy of mine and I were talking about this last week that hardcore turkey hunters in Minnesota are rare because of the reasons you stated above. Just think with all that time in the woods we may even have invented our own signature turkey hunting move, aka the Hembrook log toss. :lol:

Dewey

       

Next

Return to Minnesota