Yute Hunt a bust

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

Yute Hunt a bust

Postby shaman » April 8th, 2013, 8:38 am

KY Yute Season was a complete bust for us. Angus and I spent his second-to-last yute hunt waiting desperately for something to happen. Saturday we heard gobbles way off the property and two gunshots. Sunday, there was one gobble about 150 yards out around 900 and a couple of hens that hopped down off the roost and disappeared. The rest? Complete and utter silence.

About the only thing I can think of, and this is the only reason I'm not staying quiet is that I suspect two things are at work:

1) The drought left very little for the turkeys to eat on our ridge. The turkeys are mostly elsewhere at the moment.
2) We had a cold bleak March. That might have put the gobs a week or so behind in their normal schedule.

We are forecasted to have unseasonably warm temps and lots of rain this next week. It will all clear out for the adult Opener next Saturday. My hope is that clover will be out by then and the turkeys will be out gorging on it. I'm also hoping the perturbed schedule will mean we gobs are saving all their hot emotions for next weekend.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

ilhunter

Re: Yute Hunt a bust

Postby ilhunter » April 8th, 2013, 8:56 am

I feel your pain. The illinois youth season was about the same. We did finally get on one but he wasnt leaving the hen. We have a lot ofa areas that they havent moved into yet, and like you said im blaming it on the late spring weather.

shaman

Postby shaman » April 8th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Of all the seasons I hunt, that KY Yute Turkey Season has been hands-down the biggest disappointment. In 12 seasons with two sons I've only been able to get 3 shooting attempts set up for the kids. One, Angus missed the shot. Another, I put him on the wrong side of the tree and the gobbler came up from behind and pranked us. The third? The gobbler was close enough, but bushes intervened. This is Angus' penultimate season as a yute, I was hoping the action we'd had the weekend before while we were scouting would carry over. Oh well.

I know a lot of gobblers have gone down in KY Yute Season over the years, but it always seems to hit us, up in the Trans-Bluegrass at just the wrong time. The gobs are usually as unreceptive as they get during the Spring. Usually the weekends to either side are awesome as far as gobbling is concerned, but there is no season open. Although we don't have it this year, that bye week between yute and spring gobbler is usually tremendous for producing hot flydown action. I always try to get out and scout that one, just to hear the hens and gobblers going at it.

The good news? That unhuntable bye-week is, due to the vagaries of the calendar, the Opening Weekend of KY Spring Gobbler Season this year. I'm stoked and so is Angus.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Weather never seems to cooperate does it? Oh well, the birds are still out there and I'm sure you'll both but the hurt on a few this spring Shaman ;)

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 10th, 2013, 9:13 pm

It sounds like the gobblers were preoccupied with hens and didn't need to come looking for distant hens. I hate it when that happens. It is best to go ahead and get that stuff out of the way. Before long the hens will be sitting and the gobblers will be lonely. Good luck this Spring. Things are bound to improve.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion