What type call ??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
spitten and drummen

What type call ??

Postby spitten and drummen » April 8th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Just want to know what type call you have used to call in the most gobblers. Box fiction diaphragm wing bone tube scratch box or another not mentioned. Also please give the brand. Such as wood haven cherry crystal with lights out diamond wood striker. Thanks all
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

Gopherlongbeards

Re: What type call ??

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm

I've probably called in more turkeys, spring and fall with a mouth call than any other. They're just so versatile, can make every vocalization with a single call (hen sounds, gobbler/jake sounds, kee kees, gobbles, loud, soft etc.). I like a 2.5-3 reed cutter or batwing cut. Have tried a lot of different brands and custom made calls but Zink calls seem to work for me. After that I would probably say a slate pot call.

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 8th, 2013, 5:12 pm

One for mouth calls. I'm gonna say out off the truckload of calls I've got my lynch 1974 fool proof call seems to always come through. I have a lot of custom calls that I think sound awesome but that old lynch box just has that right tone that they love year after year. It may also be that I have out if this world confidence in it so I use it more than the others.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 8th, 2013, 6:04 pm

My old Lynch was responsible for success early on, but I broke it when I slipped and fell crossing a creek. I never bought another, even though I was tempted to.

Lately, my Q.B. Boat Paddle has done the distance calling and the closer in stuff is finished with a Willow Ridge Bronze Glass or slate pot call. My H.S. Strut 360 SL slate has 18 notches on it, but it lost it's place in my vest to the Willow Ridge slate.

For mouth calls, I have also called in a good number with Knight & Hale UHT 001, XT Calls Ultimate Kee, and Tom Teasers Redneck Hen. I just got Tom Teasers Cracked Corn that sounds pretty good too. I expect it will get a workout this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 9th, 2013, 12:10 pm

No one else?? Come on.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

A Cody glass call with a rosewood striker has been my go to call. I planning on retiring it this spring due to the wood has a couple of cracks in it. Hopefully one of the calls I got from Scott will takes its spot. I will find out come Saturday when the season opens.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 9th, 2013, 12:53 pm

I run my Death Wish with a dymondwood or purpleheart striker, or my Gibson coffee/walnut box, my Cedar slate/hichory, locust or chechen striker, I also use my blk locust Gobbler Pot, bronze glass/blackwood with purpleheart or blackwood striker. I also carry Dixie Belles cedar scratcher or my SS limba scratcher just to have something different sounding.
Mouth calls are a problem with me, I sound like a cat stuck in a screen door, but I do carry a few just for close work if I need to while holding my gun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion