How tough you think?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Gopherlongbeards

Re: How tough you think?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Scott you sure do have a way of dumbing this down so we can all understand :D. Your posts on calling, call types, and the applications of specific calls always blow me away with their practicality and the wealth of info they provide. . Someone should compile all your calling tip posts on here into a book (If Dewey hasn't done it already).

dewey

Postby dewey » April 3rd, 2013, 10:06 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Scott you sure do have a way of dumbing this down so we can all understand :D. Your posts on calling, call types, and the applications of specific calls always blow me away with their practicality and the wealth of info they provide. . Someone should compile all your calling tip posts on here into a book (If Dewey hasn't done it already).

Gopher, shhhh!!! It is my book and I am not sharing it, lol. You are right Scott has a great way of running things find for me/us to understand.

Understanding turkey language and when to use what call is a tough thing to learn as I am learning. I think it would be a great idea for the T&TH newsletter to do a series on all of the calls while discussing what they mean and when and when not to use them. Possibly tie them into Scott and scoot's threads last year with what they sound like.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on April 5th, 2013, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 3rd, 2013, 11:25 pm

Here is a vid of a guy playing calls on a windy day, they say a high pitched call carries better in the wind, listen to the calling and see if you think a high pitch or a low pitch carries better? Just some food for thought.

http://youtu.be/QJZUr0q72IA
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 4th, 2013, 9:15 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Once you have a bird coming and he's coming straight at you, there is no need to ever yelp at him, he knows were you are and he's coming. If he starts to angle then give him a couple quick short yelps, that tells that bird he's going the wrong way and needs to get back in the direction he was coming. If the bird is within 70 yards then just cluck and purr, or whines or keeyelps, scratching the leaves, so he knows that your still there even though he can't see you. Learn what calls to give him to close the deal, if all your doing is yelping at that bird, that tells hin your a hunter and not a hen. Real birds don't yelp to a gobbler coming towards them that they can see, they get excited and will call faster and short little calls in a high pitched sound. If your hunting high preasured birds, "It's Very Important" that you learn what calls to give them, how much calling you give them and most important the volume your calling with, if that bird is 50 yards or less and you can hear your calls your too loud, call very softly!!! If that bird turns to leave, that's when you blast him with volume and fast yelps, or a short series of cutts, that tells him "Where You Going I'm Over Here. Learn to control the volume of your calls...

great post, scott. all turkey hunters should read, re-read and memorize this.
thats a condensed, ph.d course in turkey calling. 8-)

dewey

Postby dewey » April 4th, 2013, 3:57 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Here is a vid of a guy playing calls on a windy day, they say a high pitched call carries better in the wind, listen to the calling and see if you think a high pitch or a low pitch carries better? Just some food for thought.

http://youtu.be/QJZUr0q72IA

Here is a video of Scott Ellis talking about call pitch on a windy day. Scott says that a low to mid pitch call travels farther and is scientifically proven.

http://www.scottellis-eliteturkeyhuntin ... ction.html

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 5th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Willow is spot on with his calling instructions.
I do respectively disagree with those who advise backing out of the area for a few days. Given this is public land I would stay on the turkey even if I bumped him a time or 2. Using willowridge's advice I have called turkeys back into the same area even after they have seen me. Leaving a bird "alone" in a public area only gives another hunter an opening to hunt it.
Good luck.
I wanted to post my opinion here earlier but could not get logged into the site.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 5th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Just an update. Answered my own question this afternoon. 10" beard 1" spurs 22 lbs. can't say it's the same bird but I took him 75 yds from where I was duped Tuesday with the same call. Even if it wasn't him I'm happy.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

dewey

Postby dewey » April 5th, 2013, 10:11 pm

spitten and drummen wrote:Just an update. Answered my own question this afternoon. 10" beard 1" spurs 22 lbs. can't say it's the same bird but I took him 75 yds from where I was duped Tuesday with the same call. Even if it wasn't him I'm happy.

Congratulations on the big gobbler!

Dewey

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 5th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Great job SnD! Thats a fine bird indeed.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 8th, 2013, 11:48 am

Well done, SnD. Congrats on the bird.
That call of yours is one that should never leave your vest, birds come to it. As a call builder I've found there is a huge difference between what may sound pleasant to our ears and what the birds come running to. Even though that call may sound very close to what you've used to take birds before with, there is huge difference between what they will answer to and what they come running to. My buddy has a call that he took a couple of birds with, but has found a few other calls that he liked the sound of better, but hasn't been able to fill his tags with the last couple of years. I told him to go back to that call that the birds came running to, there was something they liked about it better that what he's now using? Even though we may not like the sound of it, the birds do, and they are the only judge that matters.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies