Unusual bird

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
spitten and drummen

Unusual bird

Postby spitten and drummen » April 7th, 2013, 3:30 pm

For the last three days I have been hunting a particular bird. I have never ran into one like this. He gobbles well but at only one certain box call. He comes in but stays just outta sight 45-50 yds away and just drums until he gets tired or a hen shows and takes him off. The only thing he responds to is loud yelps. He ignores soft clucks whines putts yelps and leaf scratching . One certain box call with loud yelps and nothing else. I have ran a arsenal of calls to no avail. Other boxes slate aluminum glass crystal several mouth calls and nothing gets a sound outta him. Wanted to know if any of y'all have encounterd a bird that acted this way.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

spitten and drummen

Re: Unusual bird

Postby spitten and drummen » April 7th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Nobody??????
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 7th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Sounds like he's only shock gobbling at you, and you only have one box that's loud enough to make him shock gobble. You said you've been after him for three days, is he going to the same area to drum each time, but not leaving that area? Chances are that's an old bird, that won't go looking for hens, just stays put until one shows up or he moves off to his other strut zones until he finds a hen that'll come to him. If that's the case, forget about hen talking to him, set up in that exact area, do a little hen talking then switch and do mostly gobbler or jake talk, super raspy yelps or deep clucks, keeyelps and kee kees. Try that the next time he's in your area. I'm betting he's not gobbling much once he's in his strut zones either? Most old birds that get any preasure on them won't set foot 10 yards out of their travel paths, no matter what you throw at them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 8th, 2013, 6:11 am

Sounds like a good scenerio to have a buddy go with you. Have him set up 60-70 yards behind you and let him drag the bird to you.

If that isn't a possiblity, then I would setup in his strut zone well before day light and wait on him to come in on his own.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 8th, 2013, 11:28 am

Both good ideas. I would do both if you could, get in his strut zone and give him some gobbler talk.

dewey

Postby dewey » April 16th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Do you have him patterned well enough to change your set up location to just flat out ambush him. I know it is fun to try and call him in but killing him would be better.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 18th, 2013, 9:16 am

Naw. It isn't just about killing him. As strange as it may sound if I can't call him up and kill him one one then he will not be taken by me. I fault no one for harvesting a bird the way they want to as long as it is legal. Just personally I will not take a bird any other way. I have taken a lot of spring gobblers in my 30 plus years so if I never kill another it will be ok. I am not saying by any means that I don't ever wanna take another because after all that's why we hunt. So for me if I can't call him into range then he won't be coming home with me.

Return to Strategies