WI Youth Season

daniel ripley

Re: WI Youth Season

Postby daniel ripley » April 7th, 2013, 2:47 pm

so glad i was raised on a farm i know how to dress warmly :lol: . i wouldn't ever do that because my dad would make me go home and stay home and most likely wouldn't let me go hunting for the rest of the week :lol: . thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Unfortunately Daniel, not all the farm kids are as smart as you, we had one last weekend who didn't dress warm enough either, a farm kid that should know better.

The weather was better today for hunting, helped a kid get a nice 3 year old bird. 2 came in, only one walked away under it's own power. 23lbs. 11 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs. Happy kid.
Unfortunately the pic with him had an issue.
Attachments
0407130732.jpg
0407130732.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 7th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Way to go randy! nice bird for anybody, especially someones first!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 7th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Way to go randy! nice bird for anybody, especially someones first!

Agreed! That is a nice gobbler. It is great that you and Scott take the time to show those youngsters the greatness of turkey hunting.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 8th, 2013, 1:13 am

Congrats on getting that bird in for your youngster Randy, great bird.
Well my hunter did show up this morning, and was dressed warmer :lol: . We got to the blind and I set out the decoys, crawled back in and waited for sunrise. The wind had laid down nice and just as it was getting light a bird sounded off. The woods exploded with gobbles and jake talk. There was at least 7-8 gobblers screaming and the other end of the woods had the jakes bunched up in it, sounded like 4-5 jakes. Thought OK this should be a good hunt this morning, birds were responding to calls good, everything looked good. Gobbling went on for about an hour, then they shout down after they were on the ground for a few minutes. My young hunter didn't like that and started cussing me out, because I didn't call the bird right so it would come running out of the woods so he could shoot it :lol: . I explained to him, that not every bird does that, most you have to work hard just to get them to come your way, when they are bunched up with other birds, he said that I needed to learn how to call, because he's seen it on CD's and that's the way you hunt turkeys :lol: , where as he proceded to throw his gun out the front window of the blind, barrel first into the mud, because he didn't want to waste any more time hunting where he couldn't shoot at anything he saw or heard. Needlessly to say dad gave him a fast exit out of the blind and back to the truck by his collar, while I cleaned the mud out the end of the barrel, which was packed full about 4" deep. I saw the truck fire up and down the road it went back home. Dad came back about an hour later to get all his sons stuff, and apologized for his son's behavior. Then he asked what my plans were for the rest of the day? Told him I had no other plans, other than pack up the blind and clean up anything left behind, he then asked if we could sit a while longer because he'd like to see how to work birds and learn more about them. We sat until about 1:00, and chatted about turkeys and kids, then packed everything up and headed out. Late morning we had 3 hens and 2 jakes come to the decoys, but none of the big boys, which didn't suprize me any with all the hollering going on at the morning hunt, I could see dad was a little hot and needed some cooling off time. First time in a long time I didn't help fill a youngsters tags, but figured today shouldn't have been to much of a problem with that bunch of birds hold up in that woods? It was quite an interesting weekend, but that's turkey hunting :P .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 8th, 2013, 4:47 am

Scott, I would have to say that you have had some interesting hunts with that kid so far. Sad thing is I have a kid thats 13 that I took hunting several times and he is the same way. I took him squirrel hunting this past fall and after about 15 mins of seeing very few squirrels he started acting up. Well I tolerated it for a few minutes and when I started to get annoyed with it I decided I would walk his butt to haitis and back.

He started to get tuckered out and wait for me. I got about 50 yards from him and I saw 3 squirrels and shot one of them. Well he starts shouting what are you shooting at? I just ignored him. I shot another one. He asked the same question again. Again I ignored. He finally walked down to me and asked again. I told him what do you think?

I see the last squirrel running up the tree and tell him to get in front of me and shoot it. As Im watching the squirrel I see the barrel end of the gun out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and hollar at him dont pull that BOOM.

The end of the barrell was a foot to my head and to my left side. I gave him an old fashion military cussing for about 30 mins. It took every bit of energy of me to keep from whooping his butt. I still havent decided if Im going to take him turkey hunting this spring. Im still a "little" pissed over it.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 8th, 2013, 7:59 am

Congratulations to your young hunter and yourself on that gobbler TTP. That sounds like the type of morning we all dream of.
gutpiler, your daughter has stamina, good her and here's a hat tip I'm sure you and her will be out again.

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: My young hunter didn't like that and started cussing me out, because I didn't call the bird right so it would come running out of the woods so he could shoot it . I explained to him, that not every bird does that, most you have to work hard just to get them to come your way, when they are bunched up with other birds, he said that I needed to learn how to call, because he's seen it on CD's and that's the way you hunt turkeys , where as he proceded to throw his gun out the front window of the blind, barrel first into the mud, because he didn't want to waste any more time hunting

Oh man, you are a patient fellow willow. :( This story saddens me from several points, but I hesitate to comment too much as I do not know all the background. There are a lot of things going on...
From time to time many seasoned hunters have expressed concern over the wildly successful video hunts where the heavy editing has removed reality; What will this do to hunter expectations. Occasionally I meet adult hunters who feel like failures because they can't get a hunt going like the videos. They should know better however, a young first time hunter has no background to make a sound judgment.
I did not introduce my kids to any video hunts prior to taking them out hunting because of my concern way back then.
Fast forward to my grandkids, they have not been introduced to any hunting videos either and after seeing your experience I will encourage their parents not to show them any. At least not the "edited into fakeness" ones.
Another concern I have had is about pushing too hard and too early to get kids out hunting before they are emotionally and physically ready. I was really looking forward to getting my 10 yr old grandson out this year. However he could not handle even a small 410 effectively, he is just too light framed. My 11 yr old granddaughter is not emotionally ready yet. I admit, I'm bummed but there are many more years to come. In the meantime I take them out with me every chance I get and make sure they have fun watching and learning all the other basics.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 8th, 2013, 10:54 am

I totally agree with you charlie, there is a huge difference between TV/computers and real life. This young man has the wants to learn, but has no experience in a real life situation, which is what these youth hunts are supposed to accomplish and help our youth learn without being in a heavy hunting situation, they get their own weekend to learn, not like we had to do it in the heat of an opening day crowds. His father blamed himself for that, and in more ways than not he's wrong in doing so. The only experience this young man has had is a hunting game on a computer, and yes they are fun to play, but you learn nothing from them other than how to beat the game, but real life isn't a game that you turn off if you screw up. I have a neighbor here that is a young boy that was getting himself into a lot of trouble around town. I caught him trying to steal something out of the shop and gave him the what for and how comes. I found out that he didn't have a mom and his dad worked 7 days a week, he has a home school teacher that watches over him and teaches him school things, but that's about it, when he's done learning the schooling he's on his own to learn real life situation, and at 12 years old thats not a good thing. I've been teaching him a few thing and questioning the hell out of him when he wants to do something, to stop and think about it before he jumps in and does it to get yourself into more trouble. It's a slow process, but it's helping him to stay out of trouble and make something for himself. I've taken him along on a few hunts and teach him the what for's and how too's of a hunting situation so he learns. Even though he's 12 he hasn't been brought up in a hunting life style and still has a lot to learn before he's ready to try it, at least that's how I look at it? That's one of the reasons I get involved in as many of the youth programs as I can and help teach people what I know about it. I've been looked down upon by a few old time hunters for giving away old secrets about hunting styles, but what good are they if they live and die only with yourself, if they can help someone become a better hunter, hell all the better.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 8th, 2013, 11:32 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: I have a neighbor here that is a young boy that was getting himself into a lot of trouble around town. I caught him trying to steal something out of the shop and gave him the what for and how comes. I found out that he didn't have a mom and his dad worked 7 days a week, he has a home school teacher that watches over him and teaches him school things, but that's about it, when he's done learning the schooling he's on his own to learn real life situation, and at 12 years old thats not a good thing.

Situations like this just break my heart. This young lad is so lucky to have you in his life. Even though we outsiders are powerless in many ways it is good to try in the areas we can. There is no greater reward than when we can make a positive difference in a young adult's life.
After spending almost 20 years as a Scoutmaster and Explorer Post Advisor I occasionally have one of my all grown up scouts approach me (they recognize me not usually the other way around) and proceed to tell me what a positive influence their scouting experience was. As you know it really makes your day when that happens.
Keep up the good work.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 8th, 2013, 11:38 am

My hat's off to all of you guys participating in the youth hunts. You've kind of hinted at it, but for a lot of these kids it isn't really about the hunt, it's about having a mentor to help get them started down a path for their lives. I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, and would never have gotten into it if I didn't have friends who were willing to take a clueless newbie out and show him the ropes. You've inspired me to get involved with the youth hunt next spring, either here in MN or western WI.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin