double barrel

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

double barrel

Postby grizzly » March 8th, 2009, 11:52 am

i have been thinking about buying a double barrel to hunt with i've been looking at a stoiger mainly because of price it'll most likely be a 20 but maybe a 12 clark if you read this have you done any testing on reduced recoil loads my old shoulder can't take mag. powered loads any more for you guys who have double barrel what do you think is better side by side or over and under the side by side come in 26 or 24 inch barrels the o and u 26 any suggestions what be helpful thanks

trkyklr

RE: double barrel

Postby trkyklr » March 8th, 2009, 4:20 pm

stick with a side x side

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 8th, 2009, 4:43 pm

A double will help with recoil as it usually weighs more.  If it is a dedicated turkey gun you could do well with either.    My brother had a Ruger O/U that paterened 2-3/4 very well.  If you want to use it for other hunting or shooting find out how the second shot is cocked.  Some use the recoil to cock the second barrel and they can be somewhat fussy on light loads.  O/U are preferred for clays.  On a double a 26" barrel is about the same length as a 20" pump or auto.  It would be eaiser to attach sights to an O/U.  You can have an instant choice of chokes too.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm

to me it seems the bottom barrel on the o/u shoots low & therefore i have to try and compensate my aim point...with the sxs it doesn't seem like i have to compensate for it...now i have only been doin the double thing for a short time,but thats my take...and most of the ol timers like Steve_In use sxs's...so its more traditional 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 9th, 2009, 12:51 pm

hey GRIZ,
i too have recoil issues . my neck ! this will be my 5th spring season toting the double . the choices are fairly numerous . American Arms has a turkey specific double. the one i've seen ,but not handled, is all black , recoil pad , sling rings , and screw in chokes. at the local HIGH dollar sporting goods store it is priced a little over 500 bucks. remington,Cz , baikal have some moderate prices. the remington is built in the baikal plant in old russia , as well as the new stevens 411.
i am using the baikal coach double . it has fixed chokes [ left full / right modified ] , checkered stocks , tang safety , and double triggers. the buttstock also is not in line with the barrels,,,CAST or CAST OFF , ,, i think that's the term,,,could be way off on that though . my barrels are 28 inch . IT IS WELL MADE TO SAY THE LEAST. only fault i have with mine is there is only one bead . it does not have a recoil pad , but it doesn't hurt me , my shoulder anyway . it's 6 or 6 1/2 lbs. if memory serves me correctly .it carries easily ,,,,i use no sling.
i am 6' 3 '' tall and weigh a wopping 165 lbs. recoil to my shoulder has never been an issue . i think maybe it's because i move so easy, unlike a big man , with more body mass. but heavey loads and hard kickers snap my neck like a bullwhip . i'm down to 2 3/4 inch turkey loads and they don't effect me at all if i'm standing . by the way i killed my last three birds while standing .
i've owned several different types of turkey guns, and most of them were good guns , but i must say it makes my turkey hunting more enjoyable to be carrying a double that fits me like it was custom made for ME. i use it for crow and dove as well ,,,,handles real sweet. i hope you can glean something from this post.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 10th, 2009, 2:44 am

thanks for all the advice guys let you know how things go

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 10th, 2009, 4:28 am

Mark I am sure you could have your rib drilled and tapped and a second bead installed for less than $50.00 if you where so inclined. I had a bead installed on my fathers old Stevens SxS and I think it cost me $45.00 bead labor and all.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 10th, 2009, 12:15 pm

hey Ozark,
i could do it myself if i would just set my mind to the task. i have all the tooling ,,,,guess i just got a little ''burn out '' from spending most of my freetime ''smithin' '' for friends and myself.
but thanks for the suggestion and the prices.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 10th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Hey Mark , I know the feeling its like the old adage the mechanics vehicle is always broken and the carpenters house is the one falling down around him.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 10th, 2009, 1:39 pm

is that old stevens your turkey gun ?
i had to pass up a good , old double just last week ,,,no extra money to burn. PRE-'45 ,
L.C. SMITH . HATED TO MISS OUT ON IT ,,,but i doubt it could do any better than my russian.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion