Long distance turkeys....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
rsmithpa

RE: Long distance turkeys....

Postby rsmithpa » February 24th, 2009, 1:30 am

I prefer the 30 yard range but I have taken a few at 45 because I missed judge the distance and thought it was 40 yards, which would be my max range.  I don't advocate long distance shots but if you know your gun and the situation dicatates the shot. Then 40 is OK by me if it is a clear shot.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 9th, 2009, 12:30 pm

I set up  from 25 yds to 30 yds

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 9th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Steve,

If you ever lose your job I'm sure Maytag will employ you as an agitator.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 9th, 2009, 1:01 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Whats your thoughts on shooting long distances?...Is it necessary?

I'm going to kill one at 70 yards this year just for you.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 10th, 2009, 3:01 am

when i started turkey hunting there were no turkey loads or chokes i used goose loads to start with as i stated before i hunt with a 20 with a mod choke because i feel it gives me a great pattern at 30 yards i will not shoot any thing beyond that personly i think when you start shooting over 40 yards there are to many things that could wrong in my thinking if you are not sure you can not make a clean kill don't take the shot

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 10th, 2009, 3:46 am

dood saiz he's got the skillz to shoot out to 70 yardz[:@]...one day he will relize just how wrong he iz

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 10th, 2009, 4:10 am

Ideally 20 to 25 yards is where I like to take my shots. I will not shoot past what I perceive to be 40 yards in a open situation such as hunting the edge of a cow pasture or hay field. I think my gun, choke and load combination is capable of cleanly killing out to 40 yards with room for error on my distance judgment. Most of the timber that I hunt its hard to see out to 30 yards let alone anything past that. In the woods there are to many unseen obstructions between you and your target that could cause a crippled and lost bird.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 10th, 2009, 5:30 am

I defenitly believe the equipment is there to kill turkeys well beyond my shooting capabilities. I shoot a 20 g however.

turk2di

Postby turk2di » March 10th, 2009, 6:16 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Whats your thoughts on shooting long distances?...Is it necessary?

Im not a fan of anybody shooting beyond 40yds, i don't care what these chokes & shells can do.

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 10th, 2009, 6:30 am

I like a 30yd shot or closer personally. I have been hunting turkeys since the early 80's and a 50+ yd shot wasn't really even a thought or possibility for some of us veteran hunters back then.  We had to rely on our set ups, calling and woodsmanship to get one in close.  But it seems like many folks have lost their sense of what Spring Turkey hunting's essence really is.  The new hunters out there are watching the hunting videos coming out with the self proclaimed "pros" popping birds out past 50+ on a regular basis and in my opinion this gives the wrong impression on our new hunters out there.  I have a hard time listening to some of these "pros" who were probably watching Barney and Friends while I was in the turkey woods with many years under my belt.  I personally enjoy watching them work their way into close range to calls/dekes because it gives me a sense of accomplishment knowing I fooled him. That is what this passion is really about.  Getting that smart ole bird to come into your calls and commit suicide...not stalking a field and belly crawling to 75 yds and taking a pop shot. This is purely my opinion but shooting them really far away just isn't for me.  If you like doing that sort of thing then I leave that up to the hunter.  Recent advancements in firearms tech has produced some awesome firearms/chokes/rounds that can enable a hunter to take shots at great distances but you have to ask yourself if doing that is worth rolling a bird, having it run off and possibly injuring the bird so it suffers?  I would like to think that if you are a hunter, then you are all about taking an animal clean and ending it's final moment of pain rather quickly.  This is just my .02 cents mind you.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion