Question for turkey hunters

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ylpnfol

Re: Question for turkey hunters

Postby ylpnfol » April 2nd, 2013, 7:50 am

i would have to shoot the first one that gave me a good shot, i would however hold off if one was unique to the others [ like the other guys said ] but it wouldn't be for long, you never know when another opportunity will present itself [ tag soup is not very appealing ], a bird in hand is better than 3 in the bush....so to speak
David

You never know, unless you go

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 2nd, 2013, 8:31 am

I am with the shoot the first opportunity group. A unique feature would be the only reason I could see to hold off.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » April 2nd, 2013, 1:53 pm

id say shoot the 1st tom that gave me a good clean shot!!!??? or if i was out west i would shoot the tom with the most white color on his fan/rump im a pretty bird turkey hunter i love pretty colored birds!!! beard really dosent matter to me but i do love long sharp spurs...

ive harvested only like 2-3 2yr olds & they were either solo or with 1 other tom... all the long spurs i have tagged were with other birds either large flocks of mostly gobblers they didnt respond well to calls & had to be repositioned on 2-3 times b4 they came in to calls & my group has tagged many a double out of the same flock & all the the birds tend to be same age by spur lenth we have got 2 & 3 yr old doubles...

i really lean towards shooting the looker as i feel if 1 tom is all worked up & the other is just looking to bust you when you move a hair i like to shoot the sneaky bird just watching the strutter is horny & after his looker buddy dies he may be much more simple to call in & harvest??? shoot the looker guys lol the bird who is strut n around a group is the dumbest of the group in my eyes lol the lone gobbler sneaking around hush mouthed & not strut n are a real challenge lol

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 2nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Being that she was a new hunter, taking the best shot opportunity, was my answer. That's were the interesting discussion took place. Most of the guys said, you always take the strutter, if possible. Looking at it from the conservation side, that would be the bird you wouldn't want to take. He's the boss gobbler for a good reason, he's the bad azz of the bunch. He has the strongest gene pool to survive, he's able to fight off all the other gobblers and jakes to keep his throne, and service all the hens he can, he's learned the best ways to survive the coldest weather or hottest days, all the preditors, and quite frankly he's the bird with the most intelligents, by being able to do that. If you took that bird out of the system, how much effect would it have on your flock, having a sub-gobbler doing the breeding or jakes? If you have a small area to hunt with only a few birds on it, wouldn't keeping your best seed in the flock make more sense? It's like up here, we have a good population of birds, and quite often we see a group of 3/6 jakes ganged up and running single gobblers off. If you don't bust those jake gangs up, most of your adult birds stay pretty quiet, not much gobbling, because as soon as a gobbler starts to sound off, the jake gang head for them. I've never had a problem taking a jake, if they are grouped up, IMO it helps the flock and preserves a better hunting area? Like I said it brought up some interesting discussion and gives you something to think about? They say there is no fixing stupid, but as hunters we can, you pull the trigger on stupid (a tag along bird) and leave the best of seed to reproduce to help your flock as much as we can? If a single bird comes in, there is no way to tell if he's the boss gobbler or not, or if he's a sub-gobbler that got ran off by the boss? If a group comes in you can tell which bird has the dominance over the other birds.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 2nd, 2013, 5:36 pm

Best ethical shot. We can take 2 birds/day here in SC so...might be 2 flopping if the both present good shots.
South Carolina Low Country

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 2nd, 2013, 8:16 pm

I'm with Shaman and charlie Elk here. I have very little desire for trophy turkeys. I want a good hunt, with tons of strategy and maneuvers.Heck if a Jake gives me a good go round he has a good chance of dying if he get's to close. I gave up worrying about size and beards and such about 10-15 years ago and have not regretted it. Now it's just about the fun and it'sbeen the best turkey hunting of my 42 years after turkeys. Heck I'm happy if I get to work birds, but I still want to close the deal. I do not like tag soup
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 2nd, 2013, 10:37 pm

I go for the biggest, heaviest gobbler, which is also usually the boss. Heavier bird= more meat. The beard and spurs are a nice bonus, but I'm all about some trophy eating first.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » April 4th, 2013, 12:16 am

I go for the best beard weather it be longest or multi beard, that said anything can change in the moment.
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 5th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Here's a great recipe for Turkey Tag Soup for overly selective trophy hunters who come home empty handed:

For Turkey Tag Soup: Two months before the season, take a clean pot filled with fresh water and add: garlic, onions, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, potatoes, a little oil, and bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat and place on simmer for the duration of the spring. At the conclusion of the season, add the unfilled tags*, bring to a boil again and then reduce to a simmer for four months, but continually add water to maintain the level, letting the ingredients completely meld together. Around the ides of October add 1 1/2 lbs of fresh venison stew meat or any cuts you choose.

* There isn't much difference in the flavor of resident vs non-resident tags, but the out-of-state tags are much harder to swallow.

This recipe takes some time to prepare, but it is well worth the wait. Enjoy!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 5th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Fanclub :lol: :lol: :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion