coloration of turkey decoys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
wpshooter

coloration of turkey decoys

Postby wpshooter » April 1st, 2013, 3:26 pm

I found some nice looking inflatable turkey decoys for sale at Wmart.

They are made by Mossy Oak and are packaged as "Turkey Thugs - Queen Bee".

My concern is the coloration of these decoys. They have a good bit of light brown / tanish color on them.

Most of the other turkey decoys that I own and have seen are colored more blackish and charcoal gray, more like the colors of the real things that I see in the woods which are mostly shiney black coloration (hens).

My question is if these light brown / tanish colored decoys are going to be effective.

Thanks.

daniel ripley

Re: coloration of turkey decoys

Postby daniel ripley » April 1st, 2013, 3:48 pm

i wouldnt think that the color would matter too much as long as it looks some what like a turkey. i have seen the same ones and my only drawback would be duralbilty an thease decoys. hope that helped, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 1st, 2013, 6:27 pm

I know a guy who used to hunt with a ridiculous looking foam hen decoy that had a head painted hunter safety orange (from the factory). Apparently the orange head was a sales gimmick to help increase hunter's safety. It was relatively early on in the evolution of collapsible decoys, when people thought you would most likely get shot if you used decoys. That decoy honestly looked so fake for starters that anybody who thought it was real enough to shoot at probably didn't need to be armed in the first place. He called turkeys to it and killed a few using it too, so color might not be all that important. I think if I were going to spend the money on decoys, I'd get as high quality as I could afford without going overboard. There are plenty of affordable decoys on the market that look real enough. Decoys are just to draw gobblers in range & they don't need to be picture perfect in every detail. Those high end decoys look great and so do mounted birds, but they aren't 100% necessary to do the job.

I have some old Delta decoys that I touch up with paint each Winter just to keep them looking real as I can. I don't use them as much as I used to, but they have been the last thing that a good number of gobblers have ever seen. I expect to use them most when hunting with a bow these days.

If you decide to go with inflatable decoys, makes sure you pack along some tape in case the get a briar, stick, or pellet hole in 'em. I'd probably consider something more durable if it was my money.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 2nd, 2013, 8:12 am

from a distance all turkeys appear to be black. up close, hens are actually brownish/tan, so the color of the decoy is not a problem, not that a turkey, imo, could distinquish between the colors, i have an inflatable full strut that i use on occasion, the body doesn't look like much, but the head on that thing will make you do a double take, it looks so good, it has always been my motto that if the turkey is close enough to see the decoys are just that, shoot him !!.....i haven't shot one over that strutter, but like jim [ i believe ] said, you may need to have something to repair it with should a stray shot hit it, mine came w/ repair kit ;)
David

You never know, unless you go

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » April 8th, 2014, 6:34 pm

If decoy color was so important, how come they look the same and not 5 different styles and colors like the 5 subspecies

Return to Strategies