one man band

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkaholic

one man band

Postby turkaholic » March 8th, 2009, 3:38 pm

How do you all keep your box call silenced while moving thru the woods?  I use a thick hair tie on the paddle and another around the entire box to keep it nice and quiet but always ready. I have seen some different slyles on the market, but can't help but to wonder what everyone else does.
live to hunt hunt to live

Fan Club

RE: one man band

Postby Fan Club » March 8th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I use the wide, thick rubber bands that grocery store produce departments put on broccoli bunches. They are fluorescent pink in color and show up well on the ground or in the bottom of a dark vest pocket or backpack.

I put a single band around the box and paddle towards the handle end. The other end is already immobilized by the screw and isn't going anywhere. These super thick bands are tough and will last an entire season unlike office supply varieties. Also, I don't like putting anything between the paddle and the box for a silencer, it just causes unnecessary rechalking.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » March 8th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I have a box call silence strap I bought several years ago from MidWest Turkey Call Supply
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

mine usually stays quiet in the jeep...i got a new one this year...it'll get to ride in the vest 

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm

I got a bunch of 1/4" elastic band with one of the new head lamps I bought.  i clip the light straight to the brim of my hat, so what to do with the elastic?

Cut it long enough to wrap around the paddle, glue it with superglue and clamp it until it dries, then slid it onto the lid for a silencer.  When I'm ready to call, slide it up towards the hinge screw.  When ready to stow away, slid it back on the middle of the paddle and put a rubber band around the box and paddle.

100% no squeaks.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 9th, 2009, 4:13 am

I have always just used a rubber band placed around the lid and body of the call. I bought a Woodhaven real hen a few years back it came with a velcro strap that goes around it.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 9th, 2009, 9:03 am

I've used jumbo rubber bands and doubled looped them to get them extremely tight. I sometimes wonder if that's doing long-term damage to the paddle or box lids. Hasn't seemed to matter up to this point.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 9th, 2009, 10:32 am

Thick rubber band from produce store.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 10th, 2009, 10:43 am

I use a peice of green cloth I put between the paddle and the box and hold it there with a rubber band. For me, just usind a rubber band the paddle will still make noise a time or two. LOL! Usually right when I don't want it to.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion