Gobblers in NY

nelimbhanger

Gobblers in NY

Postby nelimbhanger » March 5th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Boy, there really strutting and gobbling in upstate. 
TJ 

grizzly

RE: Gobblers in NY

Postby grizzly » March 6th, 2009, 2:32 am

turkeys have'nt got to that point yet but i have seen more flocks out and about season getting closer and i'm getten antzie can't wait till may 1st

longspur

Postby longspur » March 6th, 2009, 3:55 am

I, so far haven't heard or seen any good turkey action. I have seen some rather large flocks in areas I don't hunt [:@]. I will have to keep checking my areas, and will have to do some deep scouting.[:)]

longspur

Postby longspur » March 9th, 2009, 5:46 am

Things are looking good so far, A neighboring field that I hunt I have spotted over 20 Gobblers in the past couple days [:D]. Today I went out and heard a few gobbles from a couple of the birds. They are certainly establishing the pecking order, I have seen a couple good fights out there. I can't wait to start the season. We still have a bit to go. How's everybody else fairing as far as bird sightings?

OakRoadHunter

Postby OakRoadHunter » March 9th, 2009, 10:36 am

I see several flocks throughout my travels durring the day but they havent broken up at all, and no signs of any gobbling here [X(] Cant wait for May though.... I got my eyes open for where they may start settling into. 
Calling 'um up close

longspur

Postby longspur » March 11th, 2009, 4:20 am

You are certainly right about that ORH. I don't see them splitting until the end of March to early April. I don't see them changing there patterns until this happens. Every flock I've spotted has been doing a good job in establishing the pecking order. I have seen a couple of good fights. I keep an eye on the strutters, they will be the more dominant birds. 

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 11th, 2009, 8:40 am

I will be heading home from college tomorrow night and I cant wait to get out into the woods.  I will be up every morning at daylight listening and looking. I know its early but my time at home until may is very limited, so I have to take what I can get. I will be setting up my trail camera in a few different spots to see if I can find any birds.

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 11th, 2009, 8:40 am

Last time I was home in NY (2 weeks ago) a saw a nice flock with a ton of birds strutting around. As the days get longer they will bust up and go their own way.  Cant wait to go out this year.  I was sitting in my tree stand opening day of deer season (Southern Zone) and I had a few roosted about 100 yds or so and boy they were hammering me out of my stand!  You can really appreciate how load those boys are when you are in the trees with em. The flock flew down, walked by and the last bird was a slammer.  I sure hope he made it thru this winter and comes running to me in a few weeks. He was something else alright! I hope everyone has a great season!

Mack
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 13th, 2009, 7:49 am

I ve seen a flock of 3 really big gobblers near the farm where i hunt, but they look their still in their winter pattern. havent heard any gobbling, but i willsoon. The turkeys near my house usually start gobbling around early april, no matter what the weathers benn like. By the way, any body know any good places to hunt around the Naples area.[:)]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

steelheadr

Postby steelheadr » March 16th, 2009, 4:47 am

Yesterday before lite I heard gobbles on the roost and later I heard them fighting.  This was in WNY.  I also saw two longbeards strutting some hens and chasing away some jakes.  They may be tired by the season opens up.   

Next

Return to New York