how much is to much

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Fan Club

RE: how much is to much

Postby Fan Club » March 6th, 2009, 5:10 am

ORIGINAL: wordbird

I have family land in Tenn. but live about five miles inside the Ala. line. It costs me $275 a year to hunt up there. I leased about 3000 acres in another county close by so I hunt about 80% of the time in Tenn. to get my money's worth.

That was the first state that came to mind when Grizzly started this topic. A lifelong friend of mine transplanted to Tenn. with his industry. We were talking last spring and he was saying that his son had taken up turkey hunting and wasn't having any luck. I considered going down for a long weekend visit and hunt to help his son until I checked into the cost, that made up my mind for me. That's a hundred more than we pony up in Missouri and at least you can tag two birds there. I'll have to check the Tenn. regs and see if I can guide him w/o a license.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 6th, 2009, 6:08 am

yes,you can guide in TN with out a liscense...if you purchase a liscense you can take 4 birds (1 per day)

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 6th, 2009, 11:26 am

Thanks for the info, Trkyklr...appreciate it!

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » March 8th, 2009, 11:44 am

ORIGINAL: OptimO

This is ridiculous!  If I have to pay another 20 bucks for my huntn' liscence... I WONT BUY ONE!!  If I happen to get caught hunting without a tag, which I highly doubt will happen,  I'll just pay the fine!  The court fee will be less expensive than my 100 dollar hunting liscence.

Oh, yeah, OptimO, that's really taking the high road. There's no question hunting licenses are getting awful expensive, especially nonresident fees, but you're just playing into the hands of those who want to abolish all hunting if you hunt outside the law like that. And think again if you think the fine will be less than the license. Ain't gonna happen, bub. You probably wouldn't get caught, that's correct, but you're the one who has to sleep with yourself at night... 

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 8th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Maybe the DEC should try getting some funding from all the other groups that utilize state lands in NY. It is not only us hunters getting something here. Mountain bikers, snomobilers, horseback riders, bird watchers the list goes on. The last time I knew us hunters pay a wonderful tax that supports all this. What due they all pay?
live to hunt hunt to live

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 9th, 2009, 3:10 am

jim couldn't agree with you more i know i'm going to open a can of worms here but here it gos i think we as hunters need to stop fighting with each other and i do'nt mean little things like decoys , blinds etc case in point last year the bow hunters here were up in arms because they felt the season was to short and every time the thought of makeing cross bows legal there a group of bowhunters are there to shout it down i'm not knocking bow hunters i'm one myself what i'm trying to say is SPORTMEN AND WOMEN we need to put aside are differances and stand together weather we gun,bow hunt or fish  and tell our state gov. we spend all this money on tags and taxes on guns and ammo what are you using it for and then hold them acountable for it

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 9th, 2009, 4:18 am

I am to the point where I am ready for the game departments to simplify things.  One deer season, hunt with whatever you like so long as it up to the task of killing a deer.  Youth days are ok.  One license.  Do away with a separate license for general hunting; get rid of the one for big game; no separate turkey permit; no primitive weapons permit.  Fix it so all we have to do is buy a license and hunt.  Hunting regulations are getting as bad as the IRS.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 9th, 2009, 5:43 am

It bugs me that I have to pay all that money, but then I guess everything is going up.  What really bugged the snot out of me was all the years I was paying non-resident fees to hunt my own property and I could never get a return call from the CO to take care of the chronic poaching problem.  When I finally did meet up with him, he had sneaked into the woods and was trying to see if my son and I were transgressing any laws. I asked why I had never seen or heard from him before. His answer?  He'd been on anti-terrorist dam watch for the past few years as a result of 9/11 and had not had a chance to come over.  Now, I admit, the Ohio River Dams do take precedence over my little plot, but still. . .  Shouldn't I have gotten a rebate or something?

For a season or two we didn't even have a CO for our county. We shared with a couple other counties.  Did they give us a discounted rate?  No.  

Silvestris:
You know, it's  funny, but when I got into hunting, folks explained that all the restrictions on turkey hunting and deer hunting were to help the flocks and herds grow-- there weren't enough of 'em to go around.  Then somehow somebody decided that we needed more restrictions, because there were too dang many of them.  Shouldn't there have been a year or two where there were no restrictions, because
everything was just right? 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 9th, 2009, 7:39 am

Why can't they be like Kansas. Non-reseident $72.50 + turkey tag $32.50. Limit is 2 gobs. No quotas except for Unit 4. That's ok because there's a ton of birds in the other units. They've also extended the season by a week this year at the beginning of the seasson (April 8-May 31). They even have a fall season.
[8|]Some folds down this way feel that states are just trying to discourage "out of staters" from hunting. Here in Florida, our idiotic GFC decided to jack up non-resident fees. Almost immediately Alabama and Georgia followed suit. The speculation was that these statutes were "pay backs".

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 9th, 2009, 8:50 am

Louisiana and Mississippi have played a little oneupmanship with each other over Louisiana's fishing and Mississippi's hunting licenses.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion