spring is coming..

Gopherlongbeards

Re: spring is coming..

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 26th, 2013, 9:16 am

Oh I don't know about that Charlie, MN and WI openers are still a couple weeks away, and it looks like we will be getting back to normal temps here this week. At least I don't expect to be hunting in snow and single digit temps when I start in WI for 3rd season like we finished up in last fall, but who knows right?

Personally I think it's going to be a fantastic spring. Plenty of birds around and not way ahead of schedule like last year. Birds are starting to break up and move around, I've seen the tell tale sign the past 2 weeks while out and about: numbers of roadkill turkeys have increased substantially :D. Saw 4 on hwy 61 between Hastings and LaCrosse just yesterday...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 26th, 2013, 11:59 am

i feel that charlie i am having less & less write off the roost action these days & im even get n closer & closer then i ever did B4 but i dont get the good action packed hunts off the roost anymore like i used to i seem to do much better after the birds have flown down & did there thing for a hour or 2??? i wish i ran into a few more 2yr old each season... lol

i love to be out at sunrise & listening to gobbles all around me but as for killing turkeys lately for me i do better in the mid morning to mid afternoon all the way to fly up time that has kinda become a fav time for me to hunt as i feel if you find a lonely gobbler near fly up to roost time & he answers you have a good shot at killing that gobbler if not that evening the next morning plus there is way way less hunters out at that time i see guys roosting turkeys with no gun or camo on sometimes & that puzzles me??? ive killed birds 15-20 mins to sun set B4 he gobbled strutted & spit & drummed like a bird write off the roost it was a great hunt...

im also big in to just let n the turkeys do there thing after fly down & then get n a idea wear they like to be then working the turkeys & if nothing happens i am back at there fly down spot that evening or early the next morning i like to learn the area & its birds habits B4 i make a bunch of calls but if its heavy hunted area i will throw my name in the hat at fly down & try to coax a bird into range but i really like to use there habits against the turkeys makes things much more simple to call in & harvest a gobbler... lol

i think we will be dealing with big flocks of roaming 2 yr olds & gobblers instead of lots of single gobblers this early season in season A & B the later seasons in late april early may will get the lone gobblers looking for the hens after they all have sorted out what gobbler struts on this hill & that ridge ETC. i love hunting after the break up & when there is a gobbler on every hill instead of all the gobblers walking around together i dont care for the large flock of gobbler hunting to many eyes lol...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 26th, 2013, 1:44 pm

You're getting wise there TJ. Like you I wouldn't miss the early morning with all its magic. However, particularly before full leaf out those roosted turkeys can see a hunter coming from a long way. Just ask any bowhunter about why they climb trees and how much better they see up there. Same goes for roosted turkeys.
For the most part if you can't get setup in pitch dark or approach quietly with a hill blocking your approach, it is tactically better to wait for the turkey to get on the ground. Makes for a more level playing field.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » March 26th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Here are some photos my father in law took this morning and sent to me. TONS Of snow up by Detroit Lakes yet. I am looking forward to getting up there on Saturday and getting some pictures of the turkeys. Hopefully even hear my first gobble of the year.

Dewey
Attachments
3-26-2013_2 (Copy).JPG
3-26-2013_2 (Copy).JPG (144.32 KiB) Viewed 766 times
3-26-2013_1 (Copy).JPG
3-26-2013_1 (Copy).JPG (134.45 KiB) Viewed 766 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » March 31st, 2013, 10:11 pm

The turkeys are still in there winter groups as of today in the Detroit Lakes area. Saw a good group of 6 gobblers and then saw a group of 10-12 hens and about 4-6 jakes together. So the future of turkey hunting at my in laws place looks good. My little man was pretty excited to see them on Saturday when we pulled into the driveway.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 2nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

How is the snow melt coming east of Rochester? On the fence between "game cart" or "sled" ? Bike riding is out this year...
crossbow, tripod, chair, double bull, decoys, back back full of stuff, heater ? if this crap does not change before the season B late April
I am staying in Preston for $ 50.00 per night in a furnished cottage; perfect just bring your stuff & keep it clean !
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 2nd, 2013, 9:06 pm

Will be down that way tomorrow, I'll let you know.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 5th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Over lunch Vic and I buzzed across the river to check things out in MN. Incredibly we found a turkey's nest with 3 eggs?! It's at the base of a south slope with no snow left. Turkeys continue to amaze me. Sorry I did not have my camera with.

You've got quite a honey hole there Dewey.
Last edited by charlie elk on April 6th, 2013, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » April 5th, 2013, 10:24 pm

charlie elk wrote:You've got quite a honey hole there Dewey.

Yeah I have a great 20 acre hunting spot at my in laws place as well as some other family friends that have land about 1500 acres. The in laws land is perfect for taking my nephew, nieces or other younger hunters out and showing them what turkey hunting is like.

Dewey

       

Previous

Return to Minnesota