I got flocked...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
1Morgan

I got flocked...

Postby 1Morgan » March 24th, 2013, 6:53 am

I carried a 16 year old with me who had never turkey hunted before. We set up in a hardwood bottom right at grey daylight. I didn't hear any gobbling from the roost. After a few minutes I began a little soft calling. A hen answered back and I could tell she was coming our way. She came into view from right to left followed by another bird. I made sure the kid could see them and cautioned him to be very still because a gobble might be following. Not 2 minutes later puffy came in. They fed through at about 75 yards, puffy almost never broke strut and just followed the other 2 birds around. I couple more hens started to sound off from different directions. The original hen started to get worked up and when she got a little raspy I hit it hard and she lost it. This brought the whole flock in!! There were keekees, yelps, squeals, whines, cuts. The 2nd bird turned out to be a jake and he threw out a half gobble. There were hens everywhere, they came within 15 steps of us!! The gobbler just continued to follow that one hen, just strutting and strutting. It was a beautiful, incredible encounter. It lasted about 45 minutes before they all fed off. I watched the tail fan just fade away. I wish I had a video camera with me. I will take encounters like that all season long.

I tried to get the kid to understand what he had just witnessed, not sure if he got it or not. He will one day. I love turkey hunting. There are so many people in the world that will never know the wonder of the spring turkey woods. We are blessed with what we get to experience. The kill can be so anticlimactic.
South Carolina Low Country

Gopherlongbeards

Re: I got flocked...

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 24th, 2013, 7:37 am

Sounds like an awesome morning in the woods Morgan :D. I know what you mean, I've almost given up trying to describe turkey hunting to people who don't do it or at least hunt themselves. They just don't "get" it.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 24th, 2013, 8:16 am

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing. I hunted the pastures of Northern Missouri for a lot of years and experienced many such encounters. A lot of times I would be watching, laying on the edge of a shallow ditch, with hens or jakes feeding just mere yards away their feet visible under the visor of my cap as I tried to shield the movement of my eyeballs. Meanwhile the strutter would be oblivious, 65 -75 yards away taking his turkey time.

Folks that haven't been there will never understand the thrill of that experience getting that close and personal with wild creatures. It's what keeps us coming back...tagged gobbler or not.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 24th, 2013, 8:18 am

Yep, sounds like you experienced IT. There ain't nothing like IT !!!
David

You never know, unless you go

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » March 24th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Morgan, thanks for sharing a memorable ordeal!! ;)

When I git' flocked, and thry're tight & cozy, I close my eyes so the whites don't show :lol: Then when I try and slowly peek out one eye, but both eyelids flutter :o
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

dewey

Postby dewey » March 24th, 2013, 9:32 pm

That is awesome when you have encounter like that. I sometimes need to explain that turkey hunting isn't all about the harvest. Hunters get it but non hunters don't.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 26th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Got pinned down in Kansas like that last year. A hen kept circling me and clucking, apparently trying to get the "log" she was going around to move. Couldn't move to get a shot on the strutter with her. Totally awesome experience and didn't even fire a shot. I totally understand. ;)
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 26th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Most of the time turkey hunting is about so much more than notching a tag. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion