spring is coming..

Gopherlongbeards

Re: spring is coming..

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 19th, 2013, 12:03 am

picked up a 501 D tag tonight as well dewey, the way this winter is ending up, D season might be just about perfect :D

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 19th, 2013, 12:07 pm

i dont think we will have to worry about the gobblers being all finished breeding this season i dont think we will be able to hunt long enough into the season this yr they will be breeding after the hunting stops that happens every spring but the late seasons will be the best this year them OTC last 4 hunt periods may produce more birds then the 1st 4 hunt periods this year???

i may not get my season B tag & just wait to hunt 1 of the last 4 OTC seasons this year this weather blows man!!! mother nature sucks this yr!

the rest of my hunt group will prob stay with the season B hunt period i will join in to camp & trout fish but this weather will suck no doubt man i hate it!!!

at least out west the weather is acting write wear i hunt turkeys something to look forward to i guess!!!??? minnesota is not it for me!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » March 19th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I have always applied for a time period C or D partly because the weather up by Detroit Lakes is so variable from year to year and I have always done pretty well in that April.

22 days until my season starts in Kansas! Wooooo Hooooo!!!!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 20th, 2013, 10:25 am

Spring faith is getting hard to maintain. We smashed the low temperature record here last night; old record 22 new record 7.
I am rethinking hunting the MN first season and instead hunt the last season. In WI I am stocking up with late season permits.
Last year our temps were in the 80's. What a difference a year makes.

Reports of dead birds and animals are continuing to come in to the Washington County Sheriff. Why anyone would call the sheriff about this instead of the MDNR baffles me.

Good luck in KS Dewey.
My first WI hunt is 19 days away.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 20th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Yeah, I'm actually glad we didn't get drawn for first season now. Our 4th season tags should be just about right. It's all good charlie, birds should still be interested late season, and as we know there is no shortage of late season permits.......

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 20th, 2013, 10:11 pm

May don't look so bad now !
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 20th, 2013, 11:57 pm

like i said i doubt i will buy my season B tag i will pick up a later season hunt in may also maybe just after my WI hunt 5/1 - 5/7 ??? i will still go down & trout fish but i dont think the turkey hunting will be so hot this year for season B???

you still going down for season B arrowsonly???

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 21st, 2013, 11:06 pm

The early seasons aren't going to be a total bust. Looks like we're supposed to warm slowly into the 40's by next week here. It would be hard for me to not hunt A or B season if I had a tag. Don't be a wuss TJ, get out there and get after um :D

Birds don't just disappear when they aren't gobbling at everything that squeaks in the woods yah know ;)

dewey

Postby dewey » March 22nd, 2013, 12:32 am

Those that are hunting the early seasons also need to keep in mind that seasons A opens up in about 3.5 weeks. So there is a lot of time for the weather to warm up before the season starts.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 22nd, 2013, 1:57 pm

un-like gopher & charlie elk im not a die hard fall turkey hunter & do not relish hunting huge winter/fall flocks of birds in cold weather & or snow... lol

i have had 3-4 major snow storm hunts in season B over the years & the turkeys just stay in the trees for a few days till the snow melts i understand that a lingering winter & cold spring is not the same as a major snow storm during the hunt period but it just keeps the birds all flocked up & that sucks to hunt in my eyes id rather had the birds all spread out & looking to breed that 1 hen they have not met up with yet... if the birds are all flocked up due to cold weather the hens dont really want to breed yet but the toms do & that leads to toms following hens around all day just hope n to get some action...

i will be coming from OK KS & SD wear i think there birds will also be all flocked up also so i will just take a break if our weather is anything like they forcast i mean it may snow on the 4/1 twins home opener!!!??? my MN season opens 21 days later & a lot can change in 3 wks so i may still hunt season B but feel free to call me a wuss guys if i dont buy a season B license lol

no the birds do not disappear if they are not gobbling gopher but really how fun is it to be out in the turkey woods with no gobbling!!!??? i think i spoiled after hunting in the states i have hunted the last few years MN is my least fav to hunt i mean on more then 1 season B hunt in MN in 5 days of hunting we had maybe 2-3 days of birds gobbling more then just off the roost wear i hunt in old 349 B i dont know whats up the birds are just hush mouth most of the time i do hear birds gobbling like across the valley miles away in MN but i loose faith fast if there are no vocal birds around??? last yr the army of mushroom hunter shut down the birds big time... plus land owners always hunt the surrounding areas on season A & there has been trespassing issues on the land we hunt in the past & not much has changed that adds to the pressure... plus the yr B4 that a major snow storm did the same... but now in NE KS OK WI you can find a vocal turkey or at least a bird willing to sound off with relative ease on a hunt... i think its just the sheer population of birds in these states that make it seem so much more simple to locate a turkey... its just fun to hunt turkeys out west that want to play the game...

i know turkey hunting is not supposed to be EZ by all means i understand that but in MN wear i hunt its really not even fun any more for me im now forced to go wonder around public lands in the area & hope i can find birds there to work on a more regular basis i also think it may just be a case of to many people hunting on to small of a area wear i hunt as not everybody is not killing turkeys in our camp its just me??? i did give up 2 killer just sit there & wait spots on the property to my cousin & uncle & they get birds there or chances there each year... well the nice guy got the shaft on that 1 lol i thought i could go find a bird with ease well that has not been the case so far??? im on my i think 4th yr of no MN gobbler i have shot double digit gobblers in other states in that time frame???

maybe i just dont hunt as hard in MN as i do out of state witch i will admit to i hunt way harder when on a trip out west or down south its just the grass is greener syndrome i guess??? MN has plenty of turkeys its not that that is why im going to explore a few hard to get at public lands areas around my stomping ground this season & let my family run the show at the private land farm we hunt its really not far away so??? plus i have seen toms just across the street from the public land so i hope i find a bird that wants to play this yr... im due for a dumb young 2 yr old hornball!!! at this point a MN jake better watch out i may blast him as i need to break my MN ice sooner or later!!!???

i think i have killed a tom in 3-4 totally new states since the time i have killed my last MN turkey i have a chance for a SD gobbler B4 my MN hunt so i may add to that man i dont know what the deal is!!!??? thank god for WI last season or i think i would forgot what a big eastern gobbler looked like in front of my gun!!! lol

lets hope spring gets here while im down in OK KS & SD that would be so sweet!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota