Is this the end?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Re: Is this the end?

Postby Cut N Run » March 14th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Every time I open this page there is a subscription popup for T&TH magazine. Kind of funny & kind of sad at the same time. I sure am going to miss it.

There's more I don't like about Turkey Country than I do like about it. Some of the recipes I tried from there were good, but that's not the content i subscribed for. Actually, Turkey Counrty comes as a NWTF membership bonus. I liked it better when Turkey Country was Turkey Call, but those days are gone too.

I suppose those T&TH hats Scott had made up last year are that much more special these days.

I have a dozen or so books on turkey hunting that I've already read. Maybe I'll go cruise a used book site to see if I can dig up a few more I haven't read yet.

I guess it will be up to us to keep this site going.

Maybe we can start a member's hunts page where we can make a serious effort to do our own "Me & Bubba went turkey hunting" type stories. It might be entertaining or enlightening and help fill in the void the magazine left. It could also be a learning tool if you're willing to admit mistakes & failures as readily as you brag on successful hunts or techniques. Just an idea. What does anybody else think?

I really like this community and have made many electronic friends here over the years. I don't want to give it up or have the site fall apart just because there's no magazine to support it.

Like Bobby Parks posted, the grandslamnetwork.com is an interesting turkey hunting site. The majority of its members are from Georgia because that's where it's based. There are some seriously dedicated turkey slayers on that board (many from here). It is also a fun, friendly place with some trash talk mixed in, but it is all in good nature. If you're looking for a good spot to land, give it a try.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 18th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Turkey Country is ok. Nowhere near as much practical info or hunting stories as T&TF though. A lot of it is just news updates on what NWTF is doing around the country...

Amen to that!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 18th, 2013, 10:30 pm

onpoint wrote:
Gopherlongbeards wrote:Turkey Country is ok. Nowhere near as much practical info or hunting stories as T&TF though. A lot of it is just news updates on what NWTF is doing around the country...

Amen to that!!

Well that suxs! Maybe someone will come out with a good turkey magazine.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 19th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Man, what a major downer to be reading this thread...

I just poured a drink to toast the finest hunting magazine I have ever read and all the great folks I have met here over the years!

Turkey hunters are truly a special breed of cat, an intangible that folks that just hunt deer or ducks will never understand. Bow hunters may relate as the proximity factor is similar, up close and personal so to speak.

Brian posted that the website will remain so let's keep the tradition alive!

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 19th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Cheers brother, up close and personal, that's what it's all about in my book.....
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » March 21st, 2013, 8:27 pm

Very disappointing. I'm glad I got one of the hats last year, could become a collectors item. I tried to tweet Brian Lovett but I see he's no longer on my twitter. I'll try sending an email instead
Twitter: @edvogler

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 24th, 2013, 5:51 am

I'm sure you guys have seen the Old Gobbler site. I spend a bit of time there, good site lots of good info and input. It's very busy there and I like this site better. I have subscribed to T&TH since the beginning and will miss it, if its true. Just must not be enough money and to much GREED! Got to wonder who pays for all those fancy hunts. There was a scribe called Beards and Spurs many moons ago, but they went under also. What I wonder is what happens to this site now? When will someone step up and just say it? Don't we deserve that?
live to hunt hunt to live

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 24th, 2013, 7:34 am

Read the threads. Brian has said several times that yes it is true, and that yes this site will remain up and active....

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 24th, 2013, 8:52 am

turkaholic wrote:I'm sure you guys have seen the Old Gobbler site. I spend a bit of time there, good site lots of good info and input. It's very busy there and I like this site better. I have subscribed to T&TH since the beginning and will miss it, if its true. Just must not be enough money and to much GREED! Got to wonder who pays for all those fancy hunts.

I don't care for the OG site. I've posted there and within a couple hours my topic was buried 4 pages back, the site is TOO busy. Having participated in online forums since the mid 90s, I've seen many grow, thrive and then slowly die...they just seem to run their course and I'm not sure why. The last several times I've been on here, I've been the only one...which is really sad for March.

As for money and greed, I'm not sure about that. I think the popularity of turkey hunting peaked in the USA about 10 years ago. All the big local stores carried an annual selection of turkey gear and now that has dwindled considerably. I've seen many suggestions for a digital version of T&TH the last couple years and they probably should have jumped on that. I do know that most of the hunts Brian goes on are sponsored by Manufacturers such as Avian-X as I have the hunts on DVD. They further serve to provide material for the magazine.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 24th, 2013, 2:24 pm

fan club i have to disagree about the peak of turkey hunting in the usa... i think at the moment is the peak of its popularity there are several t.v shows & dvds out write now & it dose puzzle me why now T&TH is folding i do think its $$$ issues either way there is a major effort to get kids in the outdoors & turkey hunting is a major part of that we need to get kids in hunting to replace the people that quit hunting as now the trend is for every 1 person that quits hunting only 0.7 take up hunting what every 0.7 people is...

also in my neck of the woods i seen my 1st t.v. commercial advertising turkey season B4 fishing season & in MN thats saying something... like i mentioned B4 there is a turkey hunting T.V. show on satalite Tv every other few shows this time of year even the mainly deer hunting only guys hunt turkeys now days its the new in thing to do with these big QDMA type deer hunters out there they go plow up there food plots after they hunt turkeys for a few hours each morning then shed hunt the rest of the day... i admit there may be less serious hardcore turkey hunters out there but there is tons of like minded hunters at the NWTF convention each feb... also i have been seeing more & more vehicles parked at good turkey hunting spots across the country theses days i but i think most of them vehicles license plates are other out of staters like my-self so??? if this is not the peak of turkey hunting then man im happy i didnt hunt turkeys till around 96-97 lol i do say that archery deer hunting is more popular now days & im happy with that but them bow only guys are hunting more & more turkeys also so???

as for being the only guy being logged in in march i for the most part wont log in or stay logged in if i dont want to post a comment or respond or check my PMs... maybe alot of guys do the same??? also im only 11 days away from my 1st hunts of the season & many southern boys are already hunting & archery hunters are ready to hunt states with early archery seasons so its a bizzy time of the turkey season now & many may not log in every day??? i wont log in much during my season as in on the road alot in other states...

yes brian's hunts are sponsored & the material was good material for the magazine but was kinda repetitive to me having read the material for yrs every yr its a eastern KS eastern hunt TX rio hunt & MO eastern hunt every once in a blue moon there will be a merriams hunt in true merriams country not hybrid country would make it in the mag & even more rare was the osceola hunt... there was great osceola articles & info but not much on hunting them hardcore... i mean i can only read so many guided TX MO KS hunts ive been dieing for a good SD WY CO AL OK or KS rio hunt for awhile but??? not much variation...

it just blows cuz now what turkey magazine do we have other then turkey country witch is a real good sleep aid if you ask me as it puts me to sleep every-time i read it just a bunch of OK at best articles turkey call was better i think??? oh well we have 1 more T&TH hunting magazine coming out so it wont really set in for me till after the season!!! maybe we can get a few more of them T&TH hats maid in the future???

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion