Turkey Vest

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Turkey Vest

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 5:31 am

I have thought about getting one of the knee pad things that is pictured in Fan Clubs post but I already have too much crap to keep up with. Over the years my left knee has developed a perfect notch to cradle my gun to go along with the one on my right index finger from holding a striker.[:)]
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 19th, 2009, 12:38 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

I'm sure it could be adapted, you would either have to install a row of snaps on your vest or switch to something like a velcro system. Either way it needs to be adjustable.

The problem I see is how to attain just the strap. They're only available with the Hunter Specialties S.U.V. (Sport Utility Vest) that I'm aware of. H.S doesn't market them as a separate accessory.

Now that you have the idea, I'm sure you could fabricate one. Be sure it has a rubberized inside surface to grip your gun stock.

cheers.

First of all, I'm a novice (n00b) turkey hunter as last year was my first season.  So, apologies to Fan Club for a rookie chiming in to agree, but I like the "gun buddy."  I bought an Ol Tom strap vest last year and it has pretty much the same stock strap, and I happened to use the HS Strut knee rest and thought the whole gig was mobile and comfortable.

My dad and a brother have Primos Gobbler vests (they've hunted turkeys for a few years) and they liked the gun buddy thing, so I modified their vests to make them.  Hammered a black link of small chain near flat and sewed it into the shoulder, then cut the nylon strap and plastic clip off an old suitcase or gym bag and sewed the loop.  Worked like a charm.  My dad is 76 yrs old, so the strap, a Lazy Leg gun rest and a comfortable seat help him sit longer.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 20th, 2009, 4:38 am

I really like the H.S. gun rest.  It allows me to have the gun closer to a shooting position all the time.  I realize how much I like it when I forget it and am forced to hunt without it.
The woods are so thick where I hunt, turkeys can be right on top of you in a second, so you have to be ready.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 20th, 2009, 9:18 am

I have used that HS Knee pad in the past, for the most part it worked fine. Most of the time I forget about it and just lay the gun across my lap or on my knee when I know a bird is close.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 8th, 2009, 2:43 pm

I use a white water turkey vest has alot of pockets to carry all my toys and has lots of room to carry out the bird.I get to my spot i take it off. works for me.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion