Advice Please

charlie elk

Advice Please

Postby charlie elk » March 4th, 2013, 8:38 pm

As most may know Vic and I are speaking at the TalknTurkey Expo http://talknturkeyexpo.webs.com
We'll be speaking for about 30 minutes, it's not a problem for me to fill up all that time with turkey dogging history, stories, advice, tactics, training, etc.
What would be really nice is if you'd give me some tips about what you'd be interest in hearing about. Even guys who are not attending can give me advice on what they would have wanted to hear about.

last turkey of 2012.jpg
last turkey of 2012.jpg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Thanks.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Re: Advice Please

Postby ticklishtompro » March 4th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I am sure Charlie that whatever Vic, I mean you talk about will be great. I know a lot of people I have talked to are really just interested in finding out more about turkey dogging. They are very curious as to how you set up with the dog to call them back in. There has been lots of interest in your seminar from people, (not to make Vic more nervous)
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 5th, 2013, 3:16 am

If I was going, I think I would like to hear about the training part. Like how you are able to get the dog to bark and scatter the birds and also how you get Vic to come back to you instead of going to the next county chasing the birds. Whatever you decide to do Im sure it will be educational and entertaining. :D
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 5th, 2013, 9:52 am

I would guess most people will be interested in the how to's of fall hunting in general, and especially with a canine companion. I would say most people are pretty familiar with spring tactics now a days in WI, but fall is a completely different world to them. p.s. don't be TOO convincing Charlie, I kind of like having the fall woods to myself....

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 7th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Happy to hear about the interest in turkey dogging. The WDNR estimates less than 2% of hunters use a dog for turkey hunting and most of them take the turkey incidental to another hunt. According the leading WI turkey managers they think only a handful use the dog in the classic scatter and call back.
Thanks for all your thoughts I want keep it interesting, focused and within the allocated time frame.

Gopherlongbeards wrote:p.s. don't be TOO convincing Charlie, I kind of like having the fall woods to myself...

That is why I agreed to do this on the other side of the state. ;)
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 7th, 2013, 11:08 pm

charlie elk wrote:That is why I agreed to do this on the other side of the state. ;)

Yer always thinkin Charlie, I like that :D

putt

Postby putt » March 16th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Good idea to poll your audience before the talk, Charlie.

That’s a mighty short time you have for a subject as interesting as turkey dogging. Since this event is a fundraiser for young first-time hunters, I’m assuming that your talk will be full of youngsters eager to just hear Vic stories. Vic will draw them in like a furry kid-magnet. So I guess I’d address myself mostly to that young audience, & the kid in the rest of us will enjoy it too.

As far as my interests, I suspect that I’m like many turkey hunters ... fascinated with turkey dogging, but unlikely to ever train my own turkey dog. But I would like to hear a bit of the training basics before getting to the hunting stories ... how did you decide on your dog breed, what were the particular challenges of turkey-dog training, & were you able to train Vic as a “multi-bird-breed” dog?

At the end, I’d leave a few minutes for Vic to work the crowd & sign autographs. During that time you can pull out your wingbone & demo your famous “boink” call for us.

I hope to be at the event. It’s a bit of a challenge to make it there on Easter weekend, but I’m sure trying.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 18th, 2013, 10:58 am

Thanks for the well thought out tips there putt, I like your "furry kid-magnet" analogy. Sure hope you can make it. The current plan has Vic and I arriving on Friday so that he can walk around Saturday during setup and opening in order to get accustom to the noise and crowds. He has very little experience in this area. Also it will give me a chance to meet those in attendance. Vic will stand out at a spring turkey function as for me- I'll be the dope at the other end of the leash. ;)

There are going to be several professional high power award winning callers in attendance so early on I decided to stay very far away from any calling advice or demonstrations. For obvious reasons :oops: -I'll not be bringing any calls with me. The more serious reason is I don't want to work Vic up anymore than he already may be.
later,
charlie

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » March 18th, 2013, 5:51 pm

I was hoping for the ballpoint pen yelper demonstration!!lol
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 18th, 2013, 6:43 pm

ticklishtompro wrote:I was hoping for the ballpoint pen yelper demonstration!!lol

Oh, that demonstration audio video is posted here http://www.charlieelk.com/2012/turkey-c ... en-barrel/
Mark Strand convinced/goaded me to post it.
After you watch it you'll understand I'm not a competition caller. However, turkeys respond to the strangest things.
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin