Outside the box wild turkey

Share your favorite ways to prepare the world's tastiest game bird.
Gopherlongbeards

Outside the box wild turkey

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 6th, 2013, 5:31 pm

I've been experimenting with new ways to prepare turkey with some of the birds I took last fall, here are two of my favorite:

Wild Turkey Salad
Ingredients:
Wild turkey breast (1 breast from a gobbler, 2 if a jake or hen)
mayo
3 cups nuts (I like crushed walnuts or sliced almonds)
1 bunch red seedless grapes
1 red onion
craisons
olive oil
salt and pepper

Start by roasting the turkey breast at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes depending on size and thickness. I like to use an over bag for this as it really helps keep the meat moist and juicy. I will marinade or season the meat prior to roasting. Pretty much anything will work, but I like to use a sun dried tomato marinade or a Jamaican jerk dry rub. After the turkey is done let it cool at room temp for 30 minutes, then put it in the fridge overnight.

The next day, pull (DON'T just chop, yes it's way easier, but trust me, its worth the extra effort to pull it) the turkey into bite sized pieces. (your dog will love this part, and typically be happy to dispose of those pesky tendon filled pieces for you....). Place all the pulled pieces into a large mixing bowl. Chop the onion into 1/4" diced bits and add to bowl. Slice each grape in half and add to bowl along with the nuts and craisons. Add enough mayo to stick it all together. Some people will like a lot of mayo, some less. I'm a less is more guy, and just want enough to stick it together well, about a cup to a cup and a half. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper to taste. Feel free to add any other sorts of goodies you can think off. I would imagine bacon could only improve things.....

Serve as a side, or on sandwiches with SHARP cheddar cheese. This will keep good in the fridge for about a week, it's usually best after sitting a day or two so all the flavors can mix.

BBQ Pulled Turkey

Start with 2-4 turkey legs and thighs (depending on the size of the bird and your crockpot, you can make as much as you can fit, it won't be sitting around too long, trust me.). Place them in your crockpot and add enough chicken stock to cover most of the meat, 3 finely minced cloves of garlic, and a dash of my secret weapon , montreal steak seasoning . Crockpot on low for 8-10 hours or until the meat is falling off the bones. After 8-10 hours the meat is easily separated from bones and tendons. Drain the juices from your crockpot and save them. Remove the meat from the bones/tendons and pull it the same way you would do with pork. Place the pulled turkey back in the crockpot along with your favorite seasonings and BBQ sauces. I like mine spicy so I typically add some tabasco or franks redhot sauce as well. Add enough of the cooking juices back to the crockpot to keep the meat moist and tender without making it soupy. Eat it the same way you would pork. This is one of my families favorite ways to eat wild turkey, I promise once you try this you will never throw those legs/thighs away again. If by some strange chance you have leftovers, it freezes very well.

daniel ripley

Re: Outside the box wild turkey

Postby daniel ripley » March 15th, 2013, 2:41 pm

your making me hungery, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

Return to Wild Turkey Recipes