roost trees

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
daniel ripley

roost trees

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 3:23 pm

is it true that turkeys genraly roost on creek banks. thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

Gobblerman

Re: roost trees

Postby Gobblerman » March 12th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Once again, it depends entirely on where you are hunting. The best advice is for you to "learn the turkeys" where you are going to be hunting. They may roost along creeks,...or they may not be anywhere near a creek.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 14th, 2013, 2:18 am

They are going to generally roost where they think its the safest or the most convinent at the time. The best advice is to go in the woods and watch and listen. If you have some woods that is on a ridge I would go there first. If you have creek that runs thru the woods, I would check it also.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » March 14th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Where they roost varies greatly from each piece of property. One thing I have heard and have seen a lot for myself is that turkeys do like to roost above water. If you have some flooded timber it is a good place to start but it is not a given.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 15th, 2013, 12:03 am

I've found that there are two things that make birds roost where they do. air temp and sequrity. Weather has a lot to do with it. Early in the seasons, at least here in the northern states, birds tend to roost near the top of the ridges, because the air temps are warmer than it is in the hollows, as the days start to warm up the birds roost lower down the ridges, and if there is a creek or river close by they roost as close to that as they can because the air temp around water will tend to be a bit cooler as the days warm up. Preasured birds a lot of times will roost above water for safty reasons, but even on warm nights they may be closest to the thickest cover they can find away from the water, again for a safty reason.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies