spring is coming..

Gopherlongbeards

spring is coming..

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 8th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Well I've spent the past few days in SE Minnesota for work, and you can tell spring is on the way. highs in the upper 30's and low 40's have really started to cut down on the snowpack from last week. Birds were out scratching in fields and I saw my first strutters of the spring, still in their bachelor groups. 5 weeks to go till my first season, the anticipations is starting to reach critical levels.

gouldshunter

Re: spring is coming..

Postby gouldshunter » March 8th, 2013, 8:31 pm

SE Minnesota would that be the Spring Valley area? wish I could say the same for Arizona we're getting a heck of a snow storm this weekend

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 8th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Not quite spring valley, northeast of there in Wabasha and Winona CTYS

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 9th, 2013, 7:24 am

I know what you mean, I have not been able to get out for the last two years. Yesterday I went to a new Archery Shop and shot my cross bow, WOW advanced notice to all turkeys in SE MN beware !
356 fps my first 3 @ 15 yards were within 1 inch, then I shot 3 more @ 20 almost the same results I pulled one...
This is like shooting a small rifle, flat and fast out to 50+ yards sounds like one too !

It has been a long winter; I do snow removal, I also work in the bicycle business so we are getting anxious for spring. Everything is falling into place for this trip. Hey Justin & Randy take care of the shop while I am gone, I hope I have a job when I get back.
I am all in this year...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 10th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Wish it move in quicker to save me from myself. I've been studying turkey snoods and discussing turkey dropping forms with Steve Hickoff. :roll:

Snow in AZ is quite the bummer. I have several clients who retired & sold out their WI properites to move to AZ in order to live snowfree. They're are not happy campers. It is humerous reading the real estate brouchures saying it never snows in... :lol: Kind of like here when the real estate promoters claim a property is crawling with turkeys and it's nothing but a brush choked gulley.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 10th, 2013, 2:13 pm

It is in the fifties here in NE Indiana today. Most of the 9" snow that fell Wednesday is gone. A guy broke through :o (he was ok if you call getting soaked to the belt ok) the entry point of a lake that was good to me this winter Friday evening so I took that as a sign to put up the hardwater gear and get ready for spring. Time to get serious about playing with the calls. :D
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 13th, 2013, 9:38 am

man i hope spring is coming!!!??? from the sound of the weather its warming up every wear but up in the upper mid west!!!??? all the areas im planing on hunting OK,KS,SD ?NE? all are warming up big time 65-72 in OK & KS turkey country man we just need it to stay like that till opener & i will be in the money!!!

but as for MN i dont know whats up this cold snow stuff is get n real damn old!!! good thing is wear i hunt in WI has less snow on the ground then most other areas of the state & keeps dodging snow storms hope the birds did well there & in SE MN???

spring please hurry up!!! my dad & brother both seen strutters in flocks chase n one another from rochester to east st paul

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 13th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Spoke with one of my buddies who is a Deputy Washington County Sheriff yesterday; bad news; reports of dead deer in people's yards along the river valley from Stillwater north. The dead deer are young ones that could not find reachable food. There are numerous reports of hungry deer chewing the bark off trees. Also, he had been out over the weekend checking and repairing wood duck houses; neither saw or heard any live turkeys, only remnants of turkeys frozen in the snow. Sounds like March is throwing a deadly curve ball...
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 13th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Well that's a bummer Charlie. More snow/freezing rain is on the way too. Hopefully there were enough birds in pretty good shape going into this that most will come through all right.

dewey

Postby dewey » March 18th, 2013, 10:25 pm

I got a surplus tag today for zone 507 for time period D. Hopefully the snow at my in laws place will be find by then :o

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on March 19th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Minnesota