scouting

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
daniel ripley

scouting

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 3:08 pm

what is your advice for a newbie in terms of scouting strategies? thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

Gobblerman

Re: scouting

Postby Gobblerman » March 12th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Hi Daniel. Welcome to the site. Effective scouting is often a function of where you are hunting. You should tell us a bit about yourself and where you are from and will be hunting. It will make it easier to give you good advice that is applicable to your situation.

You will get lots of good advice here from a variety of knowledgeable turkey hunters.

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 6:46 pm

ok, i'm 13 from central new york i've been hunting for 2 years now and have yet to kill my first turkey. Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 6:48 pm

also i will be hunting on privite land that we own. that has more than 1,000 acres to hunt on, Daniel

retranger

Postby retranger » March 12th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Daniel when I first got into chasing birds I bought a book "Turkey Digest" by Jim Spencer. It was the only book I bought on turkey hunting. (not to say others aren't good) Has all the info you need to get started. In the field look for turkey tracks in sandy areas and turkey droppings and feathers. Check along the edge of fields and wood roads. If you have power line right a ways can be a great spot. Don't know where in central NY you are but you should be in some good country. I am from up in Northern NY (Lake Placid)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dewey

Postby dewey » March 12th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Sounds like you have lots of land and scouting can certainly increase your chances of harvesting a gobbler. I would recommend using Google Earth, not Google Maps, to look for open areas that gobblers can strut in and be seen. Then feet on the ground work depends on the type of land you are hunting. If it is a mix of woods, swamps and agricultural fields I would look for turkeys on the edges of the fields noting where they are, what time they are there and if you have time not in which direction they are heading. If you can figure out where they are going you might he able to figure out where they roost at. A roosting site will have lots of feathers and crap on the ground. If you have a copy of the April 2013 turkey and turkey hunting magazine there is an article on how to determine the sex of the turkey by looking at feathers, tracks, poop and some other signs.

Good luck this spring and feel free to ask as many questions as you have as we all started as a beginner.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on December 6th, 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 9:21 pm

hi, i am located in the cortland-homer area (don't know if you know were that is) on a farm with a mix of feilds, woods, creeks, and mabye some swamps to, Daniel

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » March 12th, 2013, 9:29 pm

also what do you do when scouting? i have decided that i want to start scouting if i am going to get a bird this spring. and would like to know everything there is to scouting. also tips on roosting and locating gobblers. and i have ordered 3 books on turkey hunting (2 of them are pretty new but 1 is kind of old but ray eye wrote it so...) from the library. thanks, Daniel

dewey

Postby dewey » March 12th, 2013, 11:02 pm

daniel ripley wrote:also what do you do when scouting? i have decided that i want to start scouting if i am going to get a bird this spring. and would like to know everything there is to scouting. also tips on roosting and locating gobblers. and i have ordered 3 books on turkey hunting (2 of them are pretty new but 1 is kind of old but ray eye wrote it so...) from the library. thanks, Daniel

I made a post under your thread for roosting. I created links to about 5-7 links on roosting turkeys and I searched through the entire 'Strategies' folder for anything relating to roosting turkeys. I was a great refreshed for me so I am pretty sure it will help you.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » March 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Here is a thread about scouting that may help you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7661&p=66551&hilit=scouting#p66551

Dewey

       

Next

Return to Strategies