Weekend Scouting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Weekend Scouting

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2013, 1:41 pm

I headed out to Chatham County to meet up with my best friend to scout some turkeys on a piece of land we just got permission to hunt. I thought it was 600 acres, but including the aunt's land across the road, it is more like 1,000 acres. There are a couple of other guys who turkey hunt on it though. One is a retired logger who sits in the same place each year for 3 or 4 hunts, or until it gets too warm, whichever comes first. The other also only hunts there 3-4 times a year, as he has other family land in the same area. Some of it has been clearcut, some has been thinned, and some is heavy cover & mixed pine/hardwood. It borders the river and has always had an abundance of turkey on it.

We found several roost sites and loads of tracks, feathers, & droppings. I already know two places where turkeys are going to die this Spring.

Here's some pictures;

Jim
Attachments
G.W. holly draw.jpg
G.W. holly draw.jpg (314.94 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. crossroads field.jpg
G.W. crossroads field.jpg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. tracks.jpg
G.W. tracks.jpg (273.52 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. gobbler roost.jpg
G.W. gobbler roost.jpg (365.65 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. thinning.jpg
G.W. thinning.jpg (295.13 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. south field.jpg
G.W. south field.jpg (252.25 KiB) Viewed 427 times
G.W. holly road.jpg
G.W. holly road.jpg (344.55 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Re: Weekend Scouting

Postby ylpnfol » March 11th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Looking good Jim, as the saying goes " no soup for you " as in tag, this year, best of luck to you, we ain't Got long now
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 11th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Looks like plenty of room for 4 guys to hunt. Good luck this year.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » March 11th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Jim that's a fine track of land.Hope you get to hunt it forever.Im sure u will love it.That just raised you in the contest for your team a couple notches. Good luck and take no prisoners.

Kevin

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » March 11th, 2013, 5:54 pm

looks like you have a nice hunt ahead of you. good luck

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 12th, 2013, 1:21 am

Jim it looks like you have yourself a fine place to hunt. I hope you have the best of luck.

I cant help it I gotta ask. After seeing the pine trees and the turkey tracks, are you close to Vernon, Fl. :lol:

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 12th, 2013, 5:59 am

kygobbler wrote:Jim it looks like you have yourself a fine place to hunt. I hope you have the best of luck.

I cant help it I gotta ask. After seeing the pine trees and the turkey tracks, are you close to Vernon, Fl. :lol:

I'm not real close to Vernon, Florida, but I believe some of that on the ground might be growin' sand. See how it grew up around that gobbler's footprint? I need to put some in a jar to see. I'll keep my eyes open for gophers while I'm out there too.

Seriously though, that place has as much turkey sign on one piece of land as anywhere I've ever seen. I'm pretty fired up to be able to hunt there.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » March 12th, 2013, 7:22 am

Looks like some great land and a 1000 acres should be plenty of room for 4 guys to hunt on. When does your season start down there?

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of you and some dead turkeys.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on April 7th, 2013, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » March 12th, 2013, 7:50 am

bcknuts wrote:Jim that's a fine track of land.Hope you get to hunt it forever.Im sure u will love it.That just raised you in the contest for your team a couple notches. Good luck and take no prisoners.

Kevin

Ole' Team # 5 .. is fired up and countin' the days till' turkeys will fall!!! :lol:
Jim, now that's some prime huntin', and runnin' and gunnin' land ;)
Can't wait to see this size of your toms!!!
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 12th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Our Opening Day is 4-13-13. I already know where I'll be set up. There's more droppings, scratchings, and even a few strut marks already along one of the roadbeds. It is in a place nobody seems to pay attention to. I should have about 400 acres to myself. I'm not going to notch any tags ahead of time, but I really like what I see.

misoiltester, we need to come up with a team name. I was hoping the teams thread would already be up & running so the trash talk, bragging, and wise cracking could already be under way. Nobody on the site appears to be feeling it as bad as I am. I swear, I'm about to spit & drum and strut myself.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion