Turkey Throat Remedy

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Turkey Throat Remedy

Postby stankyolgobbler » March 11th, 2013, 1:08 am

Hey everyone. I am no stranger to mouth calls and have experienced every ulcer, cough and irritation they can give you after using them alot. Recently I have began "training" for competition calling and find myself yelping all day and really working my diaphragm and throat. Since, my throat has become sore....not in the way of a sick or scratchy sore throat but that my throat muscles are sore. The reason I bring this up is because I would like to continue practicing but want some way to ease the soreness. Anyone have an idea of how too? Thanks!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Cut N Run

Re: Turkey Throat Remedy

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2013, 8:35 am

Sage, I think your throat might not be used to the kind of workout you're giving it. It may be kind of like shin splints you get after running more than you're used to. Most soft tissue injuries will settle down with time as long as you don't keep punishing them.

Maybe consider reducing the frequency & duration you practice. Instead, do sessions from time to time during the day where you back off whenever your throat starts to hurt. Your body is telling you to take it easier than you have been. I hope this helps. Don't over-do it so you have plenty of calling in you for the start of the season. Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Re: Turkey Throat Remedy

Postby stankyolgobbler » March 11th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Thanks Jim. Actually started today just breaking it into sets. It not only helps with practice by doing a different call each set (fly down cackle, clucks & purrs, plain yelps etc;) Also helps me to not over practice and start falling into bad habits but definitely doesn't stress the muscle as much. Good luck to you this season buddy!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion