Illinois

ads1

Illinois

Postby ads1 » February 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm

There doesn't seem to be much talk on the Illinois Forum. Last year... 2012... was quite dry from spring planting until harvest. What is the prediction on last year hatch and spring turkey season 2013. This will be my first year of dedicated turkey hunting. I have permits for the first and second season and have put in for daily lottery for 3rd, 4th, or 5th season. I am seeing quite a few turkeys in my area and can't wait til April 8! :) Any advice for early season hunting will be appreciated.

Terry from Lawrence County

Chief Many Longbeards

Re: Illinois

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » March 4th, 2013, 10:15 am

howdy, terry, i was beginning to think i was the only hunter from the great prairie state on this forum
i went to the dnr site looking for info on this year's hatch but couldnt find anything. actually, for this year, the key would be a good hatch from 2011, which would produce those eager 2-year-old toms. if i recall correctly, spring 2011 was chilly and rainy, which usually means a below average hatch.
as for early season hunting ... keep your gun ready at all times because those love-sick toms come chargin in like suicidal maniacs. :lol:
seriously ... my first permit choices always are 1st and 2nd seasons and i usually end up with a late season permit, if i am fortunate to get a 3rd tag. this year i have drawn 1st and 3rd :( so it looks like my 3rd tag will be 4th or 5th season.
i dont know that i hunt much differently based on the seasons. i just try to set up close to a roost site, call softly after flydown and go from there. in the middle seasons (2, 3) it can be tough dealing with henned-up toms. if i cant break a suborbinate tom from the group, i will try and maneuver ahead of the flock where i think they might be headed.
then if i havent scored by mid-morning, i take off cuttin and runnin, depending on where i am hunting and have the room to roam. sometimes i will drive to a different spot and try and strike a gobble.
one thing i rarely do is quit before quittin time at 1. i have shot just as many toms from 9 to 1 as i have off the roost.
good luck baggin one of them fat illinois toms!

ads1

Postby ads1 » March 5th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Chief Many Longbeards wrote:howdy, terry, i was beginning to think i was the only hunter from the great prairie state on this forum
i went to the dnr site looking for info on this year's hatch but couldnt find anything. actually, for this year, the key would be a good hatch from 2011, which would produce those eager 2-year-old toms. if i recall correctly, spring 2011 was chilly and rainy, which usually means a below average hatch.
as for early season hunting ... keep your gun ready at all times because those love-sick toms come chargin in like suicidal maniacs. :lol:
seriously ... my first permit choices always are 1st and 2nd seasons and i usually end up with a late season permit, if i am fortunate to get a 3rd tag. this year i have drawn 1st and 3rd :( so it looks like my 3rd tag will be 4th or 5th season.
i dont know that i hunt much differently based on the seasons. i just try to set up close to a roost site, call softly after flydown and go from there. in the middle seasons (2, 3) it can be tough dealing with henned-up toms. if i cant break a suborbinate tom from the group, i will try and maneuver ahead of the flock where i think they might be headed.
then if i havent scored by mid-morning, i take off cuttin and runnin, depending on where i am hunting and have the room to roam. sometimes i will drive to a different spot and try and strike a gobble.
one thing i rarely do is quit before quittin time at 1. i have shot just as many toms from 9 to 1 as i have off the roost.
good luck baggin one of them fat illinois toms!

Thanks Chief for the good info. I'm on a steep learning curve and value info from those of you who have hunted for many years. I will start scouting next week to locate some of the turkeys in the area. May also try to hunt in Mississippi or Georgia this year. :D

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » March 6th, 2013, 8:30 am

dont know if you have seen this, ads, but the nwtf has put together a great primer for new turkey hunters....

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/hunting_tactics.html

also check out brian's blog on this site

ads1

Postby ads1 » March 6th, 2013, 9:21 am

That is good info and I have read Brian's Blog, also Clark's info is very useful. :)

ads1

Postby ads1 » March 11th, 2013, 9:05 am

Well I got up early this morning and drove to the woods to listen for Mr. Gobbler. At 6:54 AM some crows flew over and a gobbler let go about 300 yards in the woods. Another bird gobbled maybe 500 yards north of this location. I then drove around the block and saw 15 birds around 7:10 out in a old soybean field. I have see this group of birds several times. They migrated into a wooded area and I heard a strong gobble. :D Looking good in Southeastern Illinois. :D

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » March 12th, 2013, 5:53 pm

nothin like hearin those first gobbles of the season!
i gotta get out in the next few days to listen. supposed to get up in the 50s toward the weekend, which should have them fired up!

ads1

Postby ads1 » March 23rd, 2013, 8:20 pm

It's going to snow in SE Illinois Sunday night or Monday. What will that do to the turkeys? It might be a good time to scout! :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » March 25th, 2013, 7:51 pm

It snowed again today. Last year we were farming and temperature was in the 80's. :?

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » March 31st, 2013, 9:00 am

hey ads1, you asked about ILL turkey forecast for this season ... i saw this story today.

http://www.sj-r.com/outdoors/x766888746/Biologist-Upcoming-2013-turkey-season-looking-good

Next

Return to Illinois