Turkey Dog maybe?????

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Turkey Dog maybe?????

Postby kygobbler » March 10th, 2013, 5:15 am

This is the third time I have tried to post this so I hope it works. :evil:

I was about to get me a half lab and half golden retriever but my wife and little girl decided other wise. I need some help on trying to figure out what she is though. She is 2 months old and is long. I will give her one thing she is smart. After working with her for a little bit I am able to get her to sit and lay down and she will stay there. Im just hoping those legs will grow with her body and maybe she can turn out to be a turkey dog.
Lilly2.jpg
Lilly2.jpg (500.04 KiB) Viewed 215 times

I did have a photo of her entire body but it wont let me load it on here for some reason. I will get another photo later and try again

misoiltester

Re: Turkey Dog maybe?????

Postby misoiltester » March 10th, 2013, 8:19 am

You know you can teach that dog to do anything you want it to do ;)
She just may have to take a few extra steps, when she's chaisin' those turkeys :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 10th, 2013, 8:48 am

Oh I know. Im just hoping if the legs dont grow and her belly is draging the ground the turkeys dont laugb at her. It might hurt her self esteem a little. :lol:

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 10th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Most any dog can be trained to hunt turkeys as long as they have an interest. Get some wings and tails as play things but only use these while you are with her while letting her know you are very happy when she shows interest.
If you are not hunting in steep hills or mountains the short legs should be OK. Boykins are very small dogs with short legs and a lot of guys use them for turkey hunting with great success.
If want, email me the full picture and I'll resize it and send it back to you. elk@charlieelk.com
congratulations on your new hunting partner, that is, if, your wife will let you take her. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 10th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Charlie, I have a cape down in the garage that I messed up on when I was making it. I will cut the tail off and hopefully she will chew on it. I think I better let her do that downstairs because I dont think the wife would be too happy on turkey feathers laying around upstairs. :D

Also Charlie, Im having my wife resend me the pic at work. So if I can't get it to work tonight I will forward it to you. Thanks. I will probably be hitting you up for some advice that on training. :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 11th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Do not let her play with turkey parts unless you are there to encourage her. If a dog plays with game parts they will come to think of them as just another self satisfying toy. The goal is to get her liking turkeys and to know that it pleases you. This is key for her to understand; she only gets to hunt turkeys when you are there; then she'll be a dog that hunts with you as a team player rather than running off to hunt for herself.
You asked about how to get a dog to come back after the excitement of the scatter; this is a big part of fundamental discipline training. Not only do you want you dog to come back at command, also you want your dog to come get you to show you where the break took place.

Hope the picture I sent back works for you. She is so adorable though I can't help myself...
Here is kygobbler's new turkey dog!
Lilly4.jpg
Lilly4.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 151 times

Good luck kygobbler and Lilly
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 11th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Thanks Charlie for resizeing it for me. I will start letting her play with the turkey feathers tomorrow. Hopefully she will chew the crap out of them and ask for more. :D

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion