Winchester Extended Range discontinued

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Turkeybuster

Re: Winchester Extended Range discontinued

Postby Turkeybuster » February 13th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I have a good two cases of the extended range on hand but I do know Bass Pro is out of them not sure about Cabela's. Hope this isn't true I could use a couple more boxes.

Jon
Turkeybuster

ncturkeytalk14

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » February 19th, 2013, 2:52 pm

So I guess if we ain't got any, we can't get any. Anybody got a good reason why???
Thanks
Mike
ncturkeytalk

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 19th, 2013, 9:16 pm

This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth? I think a lot of it has to do with the ethics of hunting. The economy has a lot to do with it also, but if the demand is there they probably would still be making them. With the ethics of hunting going back to more of the old style way of hunting, the demand isn't there that once was. If you think back, a few years ago everbody wanted 3-1/2" shells and now it's going back to more wanting a 3" shell, the same with decoys, blinds, camo, calls. A few years ago if you couldn't shoot a bird at 50+ yards you needed something different, now people are starting to look at keeping it more of a sport, and getting birds in closer 30-35 yards as a long shot, if you can't get that bird in closer then the bird wins and lives a day longer? A lot of old hunters wouldn't think of taking a bird beyond 40 yards, but with todays technologies and equipment taking a bird at 55-60 yards was much of a problem. I think hunters are starting to put more sport back into the sport of hunting? Again just my opinion take it what it's worth, I'm just an old style hunter that enjoys the sport of hunting.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ncturkeytalk14

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » February 20th, 2013, 11:57 am

Thanks for the reply. I emailed a guy with Olin and this was his response. "Due to the current high cost of tungsten, a raw material used in Extended Range High Density turkey loads, Winchester has temporarily suspended production of these loads". Winchester Ammunition
Maybe they'll be back some day, until then i'll have to go back to the drawing board.
Mike
ncturkeytalk

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 3rd, 2013, 12:00 pm

I stopped by the local sport shop and was talking to him about the Extended range loads. He has quite a few boxes of these loads, in 2-3/4", 3", 3-1/2" in 4-5-6. If you need some I may be able to get what you need?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 4th, 2013, 12:05 am

Have any of ya seen the Win Supremes on the shelves? About three weeks ago I saw two boxes of 3.5" #5 and I grabbed them. Been back to a few stores since and I haven't seen a box of Win of any kind.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 6th, 2013, 12:52 am

kygobbler wrote:Have any of ya seen the Win Supremes on the shelves? About three weeks ago I saw two boxes of 3.5" #5 and I grabbed them. Been back to a few stores since and I haven't seen a box of Win of any kind.

Many stores have just been very low or even out of all kinds of ammo, even turkey loads. Then I've walked into some other stores that seem to be overloaded and it looks like somebody unloaded a warehouse of older stock. I've seen well worn boxes of shells that look like they've been handled a lot.

I saw a picture of some shelves in a store in FL today that had box after box of shotshells on them. More than most stores would ever have. Some looked like old stock that had been stored somewhere for a while. That happens at times. Ammo gets shoved aside and seemingly forgotten. I suspect that now people are looking in every nook and cranny trying to find any shells that can be sold.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » March 6th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Now whether you will get backordered or not I don't know, but Cabelas has Winchester Elite Xtended Range High Density listed on page 33 of their spring turkey catalog. They have 10, 12 and 20 gauge listed. Give them a call it may be worth the time and effort 1-800-237-4444 .
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Previous

Return to Shooting