Back Off & Out?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
charlie elk

Back Off & Out?

Postby charlie elk » March 4th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Have to admit I am puzzled. Recently I read an essay written by a diehard turkey hunter who advised if there is another truck parked in a public hunting area lot; they were there first and you should move on. Am I behind the curve or something? Has this become common and/or expected.
If I am the first one in I do not expect the next hunter or hunters who arrive to leave without hunting. I am not going to be setup on the walk in trail so as they move in they will not disturb me.
If I arrive and other trucks are parked, most likely I am not going to leave unless it is a very small piece of property which is unlikely around here as most public lands are at least 300 acres or much more. So that author expects me and others to leave him with 300 acres of public land all to himself?

What are your operating procedures regarding trucks in public land parking areas?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Re: Back Off & Out?

Postby ticklishtompro » March 4th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I think it all depends on the size of the property. Around here there are some big pieces, but I don't hunt those much. The smaller public tracts are the ones I hit with great success. If I pull up and there is another truck, I go to the next spot, but I will stop again later as there have been many times I went back and struck up a bird after they left.

Is it an unwritten rule, I don't think so, I look at it as a common courtesy, I would expect them to do the same if I was there first. That said, these are 40-80 acre properties, larger tracts are different.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 5th, 2013, 9:42 am

I typically won't hunt an area if there is another truck there first, unless it's a large (400 + acres) property. Then I will go to the far end.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » March 5th, 2013, 4:04 pm

On my favorite WMA if a truck is parked at the head of an access road I will try to find another spot. I do it for safety reasons (as well as courtesy). The WMA I hunt is large enough that it is probable that I won't see it all that often. I have had other hunters walk close enough to me that I have had to let them know I was there. One time they were so close I was afraid to speak because they may have reacted with a weapons discharge in my direction. I was a good 3/4 mile or better from my truck.(Palmettos do make goood ground blinds)
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » March 5th, 2013, 10:31 pm

I hunt almost nothing but public land. If I see another truck anywhere near where I intend to hunt, I'll be moving on. On public land where you aren't alone, best case scenario is you're likely to hear a chorus of strange calls, some you're sure aren't any kind of wild animal you've ever come across in your life.

....Or if that doesn't happen, you're likely to hear calls that sound relatively like turkeys, only there will be waaaaay too much of it and inappropriate sequencing of calls. In either case your hunt is over before it ever started.

Worst case scenario is someone mistakes you for a turkey. Public land is dangerous and it's amazing just how many hunters can all wind up on the same track of land and nobody has any clue how close they are to each other.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 6th, 2013, 1:53 am

i read the same article also charlie my brother showed it to me & we both thought that that article should be a must read for any new turkey hunter at the hunter seminars the offer for rookie hunters each year... lol or be posted on or at each parking area on public land... lol

i agree 100% with that article if there is another truck parked wear i want to hunt i move to the next spot down the road as i would not want somebody walking into my set up or fighting with me over the same turkey for no reason... that said on a huge national forest complex or WMA system etc... with room to roam & more then 1 parking space you can always go to another parking area & hunt but like that article said just dont be that guy walking around messing things up for everybody else on the peace of public land...

i have had guys park with in a stones throw of my car & walk into my calling & bugger birds in a national forest system that had thousands of acres to roam they could have should have just drove on down the road & found a spot of there own it really sucked as i was out of state & they were also from MN like my self after i got they herd me yell hey over here they acted like they had stole something & ran off deeper into the canyon towards the turkeys it was just game hog n at its best just rude pure & simple & they did see me... i had to leave a not so nice note on there window expressing how they could of parked else wear...

it has become common for many people to treat public land like its 2nd rate or a good for or a place to walk & call all day & chase turkeys till they are pressured & move off the public land all together... most the time they have private lands to fall back on so what the hell they wont be back there... ive seen it 1st hand last yr in OK had a guy & his cousin run in on & bugger a gobbler & we talked after they were just killing some time till a turkey they just wounded on private land died & they were going to go back & hunt & look for the bird the wounded prior his cousin tried to stalk on the birds i was working & shot twice & missed or who know wounded another turkey only on public land this time... but what can you do???

in states like FL on some of there highly pressured public lands the FL game & fish make everybody enter the areas & thus pretty much all park at the same starting points in the morning it makes for some cut throat game hog n type high pressured turkey hunting situations... mot fun at all... in other states ive had guys pull up next to me & ask wear are you going to hunt when i tell them they park there vehicle & walk off gun in hand into the direction i just pointed its crazy??? had that happen more then once... pheasant hunting more times lol

in short if you are hunting public lands you should maybe have a plan A,B & C etc... treat people like you want to be treated & if it dose not bother you to park next to another vehicle in the middle of a huge peace of public land but then again if its huge why not just go else wear for awhile & try your spot after the early bird leaves??? each to there own... i go to the woods to be alone & hunt freely & with out fear or having to worry about some other guy trying to cut me off ETC... but thats just me...

good thread charlie was thinking of doing the same my-self

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 18th, 2013, 11:30 am

A lot of good points raised here.
When I hunt public land they are the biggest chunks of property around, as a result it is common for vehicles of all descriptions to be in the parking areas all day. There are more non-turkey hunters out in the spring here in WI than there are turkey hunters; mushroom hunters, hikers, bird watchers, flower admirers, trout fishermen etc. So just because a vehicle is in the lot, including early in the morning, does not mean another hunter is about. This is why I question simply leaving just because someone else parked there first.

Once in a while I hear a turkey hunter complain about these other users and some even want to ban them from using WMAs during hunting seasons because as they walk in on the trails they mess up the setup. None of this should be a problem unless the hunter sets up on the trail; so don't setup on a trail unless you are understanding of interference.
Then anyone can walk a trail without worrying about messing up another hunter. Occasionally, I've had situations while setup well off any trail with a hot gobbler (who you actually wish would shut up a little as to not attract unwanted attention) lures in another hunter. In these cases I speak to alert the other guy, after they get over the startle they always feel bad and leave. I wait quietly for a time and go back to working the bird. Sometimes I meet them later and we exchange stories as we become friends. What's not to like? Especially, if the gobbler is in my vest.
On average turkey hunters are the most well mannered polite hunters you could hope to meet, which is why I like meeting them
later,
charlie

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 18th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Our WMA's in NE In are by draw only. We get a 2 or 3 day window to hunt in. In their rules for the hunt they tell you to have a plan A, B, C, on down. If someone gets there first you need a back up plan. The ones where they have check in stations open have second chance draws. Non-hunter traffic is forbidden on most areas too until the hunt is over. It works most of the time.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 19th, 2013, 8:15 am

Drawing for tags to hunt some WMAs has been debated off and on here in WI. They settled on drawing for each week of the season in each unit. The idea is to keep the total hunter numbers under control while giving each the most flexibility where to hunt. I don't think there would any wide ranging support for banning nonhunter activities in WI WMAs.
later,
charlie

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

i love the state of missouri if only for 1 or 2 things they have a load of turkeys & they close all there public hunting lands to NON HUNTING ACTIVITY during the spring turkey hunting season!!! a great idea if you ask me!!! in a state wear you can only hunt till 1:00 pm the hunters that bring $$$ into the state & its wildlife areas deserve a write to hunt in peace & only have to worry about other hunters... i really like that rule as not many people go for walks/hikes on GUN DEER OPENER on public lands i wish the same went for TURKEY HUNTING OPENER many hikers or mushroom hunters ive bumped into while turkey hunting said oh man im sorry i didnt even realize turkey hunting was open or still open as i hunt late season alot... to be honest hikers horse riders & mushroom hunters dont have to be out wondering around at 4:00 a.m. in my book but??? thats just me...

im a hunt all day type of hunter so when i pull into a public hunting area its about a hour or so B4 daybreak so if i see another vehicle parked there already i assume that the guy is turkey hunting like i would be??? there are times i have pulled into a area after lite & seen vehicles parked already i know its not that cool but i will go up to the vehicle & look in the back of the car & see if there are camo clothes or a gun/bow case in there & if so i move on...

last yr in WI it didnt matter i went to a public land spot 2 times & there was a suv with a baby seat in the back & no other objects i left & came back after i had shot a turkey else wear the suv was moved but back again & there was a burn out in the lot & 3 shot gun shells in the lot??? i got a little worried about that but looked at the suv again & it still only had a baby seat in back... so me & my dad got our gear together & headed out as we thought this guys i on a picnic or something??? we were 300-400 yrds into the field & we herd a primos gobble call start answering my yelps so we turned around & went back to our van then from wear we had come 2 teens come running looking for the hen they herd yelping they were really running to my calls... we chatted with them & seen how they hunt the area & didnt want to bat clean up after them boys lol but the turkey i showed them in the back of my van was the biggest they ever seen!!! lol i told them i shot the bird east of there but i really shot it west lol had to give em hell for running around public lands like they owned them lol...

i tend to lean towards hunting the smaller public lands as many hunters over look them or want to have miles of land to roam on a small area if you are parked at the parking area most courteous hunters or mushroom pickers will move on & assume somebody is already doing what they want to do there... but then again there are alot of dumb or ignorant people out there???

i was in nebraska once on public lands & 3 hikers from utah of all places pulled up & asked what we were doing with the guns & camo??? we said we are turkey hunting it was mid may but cold as hell out there spit n snow they looked at us like we just killed there dog!!! turkey hunting oh them poor things the lady said??? i dont think we can even hunt turkey is utah the other guy says??? & the 1st guy said isnt it kinda cold to be turkey hunting??? i said well isnt it kinda cold to be just walking around the woods all day??? he laughed & said i see??? they all had bright red/blue & white coats i explained to them that all the colors you are not supposed to wear while out in the woods turkey hunting they didnt get it i then showed them my gobbler decoy & the message was received & they said we will come back another time & hike we said ok have a nice day... but a if they could/would print HUNTING SEASON DATES on some of these trail heads or on hiking maps they sell at many places out west i think many of these hikers/horse riders ETC. would maybe back off a little bit & we all could work together???

sometimes turkeys use major trails & if other hunters would not pull in & head out hunting in the same area wear a vehicle was already parked B4 them it would not matter if the 1st hunter was set up on a trail head or a mile into the woods its just hunter courtesy in my book to not hunt from the same parking area as another hunter its just to scary for me as i have called up plenty of hunters to my hen yelps??? i guess i sound like a real hen???

great topic here hope everybody reads that article charlie lol

Return to Strategies