Breakin' in a new pot call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

Breakin' in a new pot call

Postby onpoint » February 25th, 2013, 11:42 am

Won what appears to be an anodized aluminum (black surface) pot call at a men's church supper drawing on Sat nite. The surface is "slicker'n goat lips" and the wood striker that came with it will make no sound at all or make it squawk!! I know a bit 'bout conditioning slate, regular aluminum, glass, crystal,etc., but this is my first one of this sort. I'm guessing scotch brite pad on the surface, but would like some coaching from you guys. I don't want to mess it up!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Breakin' in a new pot call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 25th, 2013, 1:53 pm

What I've done with anodized alum, is you have to make sure it's clean. Wash it down with Dawn dish soap to get any grease off it, then you can wipe some Vineger over the playing area and let it dry, Then wipe the surface off completely with alcohol and let that dry.
You can also scrub it with a brite pad or fine grit sandpaper, the same as you would a glass call.
Anodize alum is sometime very difficult to get to play, it depends on how thick the anodizing is on it, some play great and some need sanding?
Make sure you striker tip is clean, alum builds up on the tips very easy and needs to be kept clean.
The Vineger actually etches the anodizing and will make it play better without having to sand the black away to make it play, sometimes? Alcohol dries the surface and sometimes that's all you need to do?
That's a couple of things you can try
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on February 26th, 2013, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Never heard of the vinegar tip but echo much of the above..

Anodized Aluminum can be very tricky at first, it seems as if you need to essentially play it till it comes around and starts yelping.. Almost like wearing a groove in it.. I use the rubbing alcohol on mine to essentially clean it and agree striker conditioning is 99 percent of the conditioning.

Some use a green scrubby from the start I have not except on anodized calls in which I have essentially wore the anodizing out from so much playing

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 26th, 2013, 12:05 am

I use the brown scrubby on mine, it's a little bit courser and gives the striker a better bite. Anodized can be a pain, but like you said the more you play it the better it gets.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 26th, 2013, 12:28 am

I haven't tried any of these liquid tips, but will. I use 150 drywall screen on all surfaces including the striker. Do see any potential problems with that?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 26th, 2013, 1:23 pm

charlie elk wrote:I haven't tried any of these liquid tips, but will. I use 150 drywall screen on all surfaces including the striker. Do see any potential problems with that?

Any form of abrasive conditioning device you use is gonna wear through the anodizing.. Like I mentioned earlier I have run one of my anodized calls so much in one spot it is becoming shiny aluminum..

In all honesty I prefer a traditional aluminum surface over an anodized one.. But as with anything the trend is more towards anodized for some reason..

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion