Valentine's Day gift

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Re: Valentine's Day gift

Postby Cut N Run » February 24th, 2013, 2:16 pm

My buddy who smokes the deer hams owns 3 restaurants and he has a lot of practice smoking meats. He usually cooks it for a long time at a low temperature to amp the taste of the meat up. It is really good, though can be dry if overcooked. Most meats he smokes have a fair amount of natural fat in them, while deer doesn't & what fat they do have tastes nasty. Rainbow trout smoked is also hard to beat, so is pheasant far as that goes.

I usually cube turkey breast into 1 inch squares & marinate it in a Teriyaki ginger - lime marinade overnight, then skewer it and grill it with some fresh pineapple spears. It is quite tasty. I pretty much like turkey served any way but overcooked. I got permission to turkey hunt one small farm because I shared some turkey I killed with the farm owner. She liked it so much that she wanted to buy a license and hire me as a contract turkey killer and use her tags. I'm not willing to put my hunting license or my gun on the line to do that though. Now if she wants to buy me a license & find me a place to hunt in Virginia, that's another story. I promised to invite her to another wild turkey meal when the time comes. I haven't seen or heard any gobblers on her land since I got permission to hunt there though.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

soiltester

Postby soiltester » February 24th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Guys .. I'm back and don't know what happened, but I got logged out and couldn't get back in, so now I'm soiltester instead of misoiltester.
Same guy & different somewhat name??

Southern part of SC opens March 15th and bal. April 1. We get 5 tags for gobblers.
My buddy from Michigan slices the breasts up(after beating them to death again) and fries them uo with one of many seasoning batters .. nothing but delicious!!

retranger

Postby retranger » February 24th, 2013, 5:13 pm

The spring season in NY is the month of May, 2 tags, toms only, 1 bird per day, morning hunting. Fall season 1 or 2 tags depending on area of state, hunt all day, hens/toms both legal.
I have tried to grill sliced turkey breast but it was dry. I think the deep frying keeps it moist, but Jim I am definitely going to try your grilling method. That sounds real good.

Jim,,,,, seems to me last year some of us were trying to recover from hernia repair in time for opening day. ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Be sure to wash that new camo inside out in cold water Jim.

My dipshit brother in law has shrunk, ruined and prematurely faded every piece of camo he's ever owned including a considerable amount I've given him over the last 25 years. I buy a lot of stuff on sale and usually get him something too when the clearance prices are hot. Last year I asked him why his newest camo looked like crap when I had the same thing, bought at the same time, and it still looked great. He said he didn't know...

When I asked him if he turned it inside out and used cold water he said, "Now you tell me!" What the hell? I guess I mistakenly thought he could read...and would take the time to read, the washing instructions. Seems to be no shortage of 'em.

:roll:
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2013, 9:18 pm

retranger wrote:

Jim,,,,, seems to me last year some of us were trying to recover from hernia repair in time for opening day. ;)

I was in that select group retranger.

The earliest I could get my surgery scheduled was March 22nd and that had me real concerned. For the first time in nearly 20 years I didn't go to Missouri for the last week of April and that helped. I burned up my Michigan season in May helping my friend who has cancer try to get a bird. That slowed me up a lot too and I didn't really get after 'em like normal.

This year I'm golden and looking to make up for lost time.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 24th, 2013, 11:42 pm

soiltester wrote:Guys .. I'm back and don't know what happened, but I got logged out and couldn't get back in, so now I'm soiltester instead of misoiltester.
Same guy & different somewhat name??

Not sure what happened the other day? It booted me also and Dixie Belle, Dixie hasn't been able to get back on since. Hope we didn't loose anybody that signed up for the contest?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 25th, 2013, 1:01 am

Fan Club wrote:
retranger wrote:

I was in that select group retranger.

The earliest I could get my surgery scheduled was March 22nd and that had me real concerned. For the first time in nearly 20 years I didn't go to Missouri for the last week of April and that helped. I burned up my Michigan season in May helping my friend who has cancer try to get a bird. That slowed me up a lot too and I didn't really get after 'em like normal.

This year I'm golden and looking to make up for lost time.

I'm happy to be a proud member of the repaired hernia club. I hope never to have to go through that sort of thing again. I'm glad Doug, Jeff and all other hernia club members here are good to go for this Spring. My hernia scar only bothers me if I skate too hard. My mind says go, but my body says not so fast. I miss being able to play hockey in the worst way & I'm getting out of shape.

You're owed some quality hunting time karma for as much as you've been helping out your buddy, Jeff. Good on Ya'! (to borrow a phrase). I hope you have a great Spring.

I haven't washed my new camo yet. I'll likely wash it inside out in cold on the delicate cycle with Woolite when it earns the trip. I expect that new camo will get a few permethryn treatments and many wearings before it sees the inside of a washer though. I wash some of my turkey clothes by hand in a bucket at camp if they need it bad enough.

My best friend's wife washed his Shannon Bug Tamer jacket in warm water and dried it in the dryer, which made it fade, but it also made the leaves curl up horribly. He looked like a shrub with a perm, so he quit wearing it. I got him another one for his birthday and he had a big DO NOT WASH! tag made & sewn into it. My wife knows better than to touch my hunting clothes. Many years ago, she washed some of my deer hunting clothes in some kind of floral detergent and put them in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet that also reeked like a perfume shop. They smelled like the clothes detergent aisle in the grocery store. I thought I was going to have to burn them. Several washes in cold water with unscented detergent and a baking soda rinse, then hanging outside on the screen porch to dry naturally in the air cured them and allowed them to go back in the hunting rotation.

Glad to see you're both back on here, soiltester & Scott. My buddy Steve (Sit Still...) got booted last year and quit trying to get back on. He's still turkey crazy and is working on new plans of attack for his spring in NM. We've been kicking around the idea of meeting half way between here & there for a hunt (Texas maybe?) but it's just a pipe dream at this point. My business has to come back up more than it has to permit that kind of escape. I'm not sure what in the world is going on if bumping Scott & Dixie Belle off here, even by accident. They're some of the heart & soul of this board.

I hope Stephanie Bernardo hasn't been called away on some kind of Super Secret Spy duty and the controls got short circuited. Maybe she got called away to Daytona for the 500. You all know that Joie Chitwood (Jr.) is the track president down there, so she might have had some out of town stunt driving business...HMmm? She could have been driving the pace car for all I know. I wouldn't doubt it.

Anybody heard from Mark Hay or Jon (turkeybuster) lately? (as long as I'm on a rambling & mostly coherent tangent)

Every day is getting closer to turkey season. My water pipe fix took longer than expected today, so no scouting for me. I hate to waste a beautiful day away from the woods. It looks like next Sunday will have to be as soon as I can get loose. As long as I get plenty of time to hunt during the season, I'd rather knock out chores when it doesn't matter as much.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 25th, 2013, 8:22 am

Cut N Run wrote:
You're owed some quality hunting time karma for as much as you've been helping out your buddy, Jeff. Good on Ya'! (to borrow a phrase). I hope you have a great Spring.

I haven't washed my new camo yet. My wife knows better than to touch my hunting clothes.

I'm not sure what in the world is going on if bumping Scott & Dixie Belle off here, even by accident. They're some of the heart & soul of this board.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Sadly my buddy Bob has seen his last hunting season. I went to Ft. Wayne last weekend to visit him in the Nursing/Hospice home. It was very hard seeing him like that and we both cried as his time is very short now.

I've spent the last three seasons trying to get him a bird, but I wouldn't trade the time for a stack of dead gobblers. Got him one in range two years ago but he missed. To his credit, he didn't want to shoot a jake. He had a lot of folks rooting for him. Last year one land owner lent us his golf cart to access the back of the property and transport the pop up, chairs and gear! How cool is that?

We're on the same page with the hunting laundry Jim! My wife knows better than to even touch mine...I handle it all myself.

The board went crazy at the end of last week. Every time I tried to log on it sent me to my profile page. I gave up and when I tried on Saturday it seemed normal. Hope we can get the folks back that are MIA.

Jim- On a personal note, I would like to thank you for your plentiful words of encouragement last spring before and after my surgery. Fear of the unknown has a strong grip and your willingness to share your common experience was much appreciated and will not be forgotten. Thanks again, buddy!

Happy Hunting,

Jeff

retranger

Postby retranger » February 25th, 2013, 9:29 am

I hear you Jim,,,,,,,my hernia surgeries took a lot out of me, added many years on me and I didn't get out much last spring. For some reason I lost a lot of desire. Can't say I am back to normal but hopefully this year will be different.

Jeff I know where you are, I lost one of my buddies last year. You will never regret taking him out, best way to use a tag that I can think of. I did the same last fall during our muzzle loader season for deer. The season is only a week but my 89 year old buddy wanted to get out so we spent the week together. We didn't get a deer but hashed out many good memories.

Not sure what has happened to the site here. Not the folks on here that were last year. The related site to this (deer and deer hunting) I couldn't get around on and quit going to it.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 25th, 2013, 11:21 am

Cut N Run wrote:South Carolina's turkey season opens next month. They get more than double the 2 tags we get here in NC.

I just made a big dish of venison lasagne tonight that I'll cut up & freeze for fast meals when I don't feel like making anything from scratch.

Jim

That sounds real tasty. What about the recipe when you get time. You can either post or pm me. Oops! I almost forgot. Is the ginger-teriyaki made from scratch or "store bought"?
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion