Valentine's Day gift

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Valentine's Day gift

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2013, 10:12 am

I was surprised yesterday by a new set of Mossy Oak hunting clothes in the Bottomland pattern my wife ordered me for Valentines. It got here late, but who cares? I got her some stuff for her horseback riding hobby. Ain't it nice how we feed each others addiction? I think she knows me pretty well.

I hope to break those duds in the right way & post some pictures here holding up a big ol' gobbler while I'm wearing 'em.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Re: Valentine's Day gift

Postby retranger » February 22nd, 2013, 10:29 am

I have been thinking of a new set of camo lately. My wife lost most of her hearing 10 years ago. Her valentines day gift was a cochlear implant. Now she hears way more than I,,,,,,so I thought the new camo would be for her and she could chase the gobblers with me and tell me where the birds were. (don;t really think that will happen) Technology is great.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2013, 12:23 pm

retranger wrote:I have been thinking of a new set of camo lately. My wife lost most of her hearing 10 years ago. Her valentines day gift was a cochlear implant. Now she hears way more than I,,,,,,so I thought the new camo would be for her and she could chase the gobblers with me and tell me where the birds were. (don;t really think that will happen) Technology is great.

Wow, good for both of you. Those cochlear implants really help open a person's world back up. I know both of you have to be thrilled for her to regain one of her senses. You never realize how much you rely on something until it is taken from you.

My hearing is not what it should be. I had a fool shoot a shotgun right beside my ear when we were dove hunting in 1976 when I was 15 years old. It ruptured my right ear drum and strained the left. I think the concussion damaged more than the noise did. I couldn't hear for 3 days afterward, but some of it came back over time. Now I hear crickets all the time. My high frequency range is shot, but have an unusually strong ability to pick up low frequency for some reason. I can hear turkeys spitting & drumming farther away than all my hunting buddies do.

I really hope you get the chance to hunt together and I hope your wife gets to enjoy all the sounds of nature during your turkey hunts. Make sure you post pictures here of your successful hunts.

My camo came from Mack's P.W if you're looking for that pattern. It was a better price than from the manufacturer's site. Good luck & have fun this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » February 23rd, 2013, 9:14 am

Yes Jim it is great, although I doubt if she will be chasing birds, not her thing. Guess you would know what it is like not having hearing, I haven't heard crickets for 15 years. I do have a set of aids that I wear when hunting but don't wear them everyday. I think your season will be on soon,,,,,next month? Good Luck this season!!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 23rd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Our season starts on April 13, 2013. Since I've been posting stuff out of the regulations digest, here's some more;
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Reg ... easons.pdf

There's talk of instead of Youth Day on 4-6-13 only, they're going to make it a week long.

I have a few more places to ask permission to hunt between now & turkey season. I'll be checking on a few more spots around Caswell County as work lets me.

I couldn't get my wife to go hunting is I wanted to. She might go listen to me call birds up at the State Park now & then, but she doesn't want to see anything get shot. She loves to eat wild turkey though.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » February 23rd, 2013, 5:38 pm

I thought one of the Carolina seasons opened in March, maybe the other one. I am in Va. at the moment and will be going to central Florida on Wed. Will wait there till the snow disappears at home. My wife says "you kill it, you cook it, you eat it" She doesn't eat any wild game, (if she knows it) I have fixed duck before in a gumbo type meal and she went back for seconds, but nobody told her what it was. :lol:

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 23rd, 2013, 10:05 pm

South Carolina's turkey season opens next month. They get more than double the 2 tags we get here in NC.

There's lots of worse places to be besides Virginia. What part are you in & for how long? I went to school in Buckingham Courthouse when I was younger & loved the area. It's a real pretty state and also has an abundance of turkeys in places, there's some big deer up there too. I just don't know anyone there with property I can hunt.

When we first got together my wife was more flexible on what she'd eat. I don't buy red meat from the store. I usually take several deer and a couple of turkeys each year. Far as red meat goes, venison is usually about it for me. From time to time I buy steak from a family I know who raises beef, slaughters, & packages it all themselves. My wife doesn't eat much red meat anymore. Chicken, seafood, or some kind of vegetarian crap is what she gravitates towards if left to her own devices. I just made a big dish of venison lasagne tonight that I'll cut up & freeze for fast meals when I don't feel like making anything from scratch.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » February 24th, 2013, 8:57 am

We have been in Stephens City (winchester) since the 6th of Feb. Although it is cold it is still better than home. Have not seen much for turkeys in the area. Did see half dozen toms side the road one day when we went to Md. other than that it has only been dead skunks. We have reservations in a campground in Winter Haven Florida for the month of March with an open end going into April. This is our first experience of getting out of north country for the winter. When I was in the service I was stationed at Ft. Story and do remember it being cold in the winter.
I usually have a venison in the freezer and a turkey and as I have it all to myself will pretty much last the year. Also like fish and seafood but wife don't. She has pork, chicken and beef on her menu. When she has beef I have venison or fish. You didn't mention pork,,,,,so I guess you don't hunt the hogs? We now have some in our area now and they have been in central NY for a while now. Somebody on here told me that wild hogs are the best pork you can get. Do you cut and package your own venison? I do my own and bone it all out then use the food saver seal bags.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 24th, 2013, 9:14 am

It is cold up around Winchester, its also real pretty country. You ought to look into hunting in Florida during March. Their turkey season gets going in just a few weeks.

We don't have feral hogs right around here yet, but they're getting closer every year. There's some in Chatham County because they rooted up a friend of mine's food plots. I'll have something for 'em when they do show up.

I do some processing myself and pay a guy to do some as well. One buddy has a smoker and I always get deer hams to him to be smoked. The processor that does some of my deer makes killer sausage and has a cold room to hang deer. I don't have as much time to mess with it as I'd like. My business & rental properties take more of my free time that I'd like. I'm off to work on a leaking pipe at another house right now. Fun, fun, fun...at least the rain quit.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » February 24th, 2013, 11:45 am

It is cold here but when I check the weather back home and it is zero or below the 30 degrees here isn't bad. I had thought about hunting Florida but as I mentioned on here before I don't like the ground crawlers, can't stand snakes. Don't know why as when I was young fellow they didn't bother me. I tell folks I am only afraid of three kinds,,,,,big ones ,,,little ones,,,and dead ones :o :o
Never thought of smoking venison hams. How :?: :?: I just got a new smoker from Cabelas last fall. Did do some snack sticks in it. When I do my venison I separate all the muscle and the hind quarters go to little steaks and the rest hamburg. Use the hamburg for sausage and jerky. The shin meat on the legs I put in a crock pot for about 8 hours, then pull it apart and make bbq pulled venison. My turkey breast is usually cut into strips and deep fried. The legs and thighs go in the crock pot for an all day cook and use it in sandwiches.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion