MN Gobbling

charlie elk

MN Gobbling

Postby charlie elk » February 23rd, 2013, 9:35 pm

Saturday afternoon I took a tour on one of my old favorite MN hunting grounds. Pleasantly surprised there was very little ice cover on the ground. Just a lot of nice fluffy snow. Made snowshoeing a real pleasure. Checked out stands of European Buckthorn and Amur Maple found lots of turkey feeding sign, also heard some very robust gobbling activity, a sure sign of spring and the first gobbles of year for me.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Re: MN Gobbling

Postby dewey » February 24th, 2013, 2:25 pm

charlie elk wrote:also heard some very robust gobbling activity, a sure sign of spring and the first gobbles of year for me.

But Charlie I thought turkeys only gobbled in the spring? LOL!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 24th, 2013, 7:41 pm

What? You're trying to tell me it's not spring yet?
Just because there is snow on the ground it does not mean its not spring. :lol:
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 24th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Can I stick my Colorado nose in here?

On my last duck hunt in Colo I heard a bunch of them chain gobbling. Where one gobbler goes off and then a whole bunch joins right in. There must have been at least 15 and more like 20 of them.

Funny thing was...I was sitting there at shooting light waiting for some ducks to come in and listening to them chain gobbling now and then. Then 3 ducks decoy in perfectly and just as I go to mount my gun and shoot the gobblers all fire off. Whiffed all three shots on those ducks. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 26th, 2013, 12:37 am

Treerooster wrote:Can I stick my Colorado nose in here?

Sure thing, the more the merrier.
A bunch of chain gobbling would be distracting in a duck blind.
Personally I love chain gobbling it has to be one of the most relaxing sounds of the turkey woods.
later,
charlie

dewey

Postby dewey » February 26th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Relaxing? When I hear chain gobbling it gets the heart going a million miles per hour.

Treerooster wrote:Can I stick my Colorado nose in here?
Funny thing was...I was sitting there at shooting light waiting for some ducks to come in and listening to them chain gobbling now and then. Then 3 ducks decoy in perfectly and just as I go to mount my gun and shoot the gobblers all fire off. Whiffed all three shots on those ducks. :D

So apparently there are turkeys in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Colorado that get confused and gobble during non spring months :o

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » February 27th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Hey Dewey,T.J. & Gopher

I can't wait till April, I found a place to stay in Preston. It's reasonable, all included & I can cook for myself waiting to find actual location. I need to find a place to shoot my cross bow indoors, and hope my vacation time from work is still all set ! Hey Justin do you hear me ...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 27th, 2013, 11:10 pm

dewey wrote:Relaxing? When I hear chain gobbling it gets the heart going a million miles per hour.

When the chain gobbling starts I feel a sense of calm and focused purpose knowing there is more than one tom in the immediate area.
I will admit there once was a time when all that intense gobbling caused me to tap out Morse code on the slate rather than seductive yelps. In many respects I miss those days so make sure you enjoy them while they last.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 28th, 2013, 9:42 am

arrowsonly wrote:Hey Dewey,T.J. & Gopher

I can't wait till April, I found a place to stay in Preston. It's reasonable, all included & I can cook for myself waiting to find actual location. I need to find a place to shoot my cross bow indoors, and hope my vacation time from work is still all set ! Hey Justin do you hear me ...

Sounds great arrows, we're on the final countdown now, April's only a month away :D

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 1st, 2013, 7:02 pm

thats great arrowsonly i hope all goes well for you on your hunt back to MN...

yes its the final leg of the big wait now im just watching weather for all the places i want to hunt & wish n & hope n that spring finaly gets here ASAP been working the mouth calls & just need to get a few extra & some more ammo & im good to go!!!

hope everybody can handle the big wait ok its killing me man!!! cant get my SD prairie tag till march 9 that will be the first i buy & sets a chain reaction lol

Return to Minnesota