A learning process

charlie elk

Re: A learning process

Postby charlie elk » February 6th, 2013, 5:36 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:I wish I could, I've been looking at a recorder like shaman uses or a vid cam to help record what they do. Right now I have nothing to record with, but I need one. The same for recording my calls outside to get the best sound recordings. Right now I'm leaning towards a vid cam?

Maybe you should try to raise some study funds on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com
I read a lot of turkey studies and I have not seen one of the kind you propose. So I bet some of us turkey hunters would donate.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Myakka Chuck

Postby Myakka Chuck » February 8th, 2013, 8:25 pm

I have a theory about an alarm call that many of us have heard, possibly mistaking it for something else. I heard it on one of my first turkey hunts and, unfortunately, have heard it several times since. I've argued about it with some of my buddies and none of them are as convinced as I am, although they've all heard it too. I'd rather not say what it is, but will wait to see what you discover and if it includes this call. Good luck and I'll keep watching for your results.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 9th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Don't be affraid to discuss what you've heard, others may have heard it too and not put 2 and 2 together. What little talk there has been on alarm calls we are all learning about them, and trying to find out what more of them are?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 9th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Yeah I'd be interested in learning if the turkeys have a secret "OHH SH#T" call. I've almost come to the conclusion that they have some form of ESP. I judge more by body language than verbal sounds. I've identified three distinct body language "tells" that I watch. A quick rise of the head and a rock solid stance with a few wing flips, A sporadic movement pattern and rapid head bobbing with wing flipping and the one that I've noticed more people missing a slow drift away and putting trees or geographic obstacles between you and them. I don't know how many times I've heard hunters say he was in range but I couldn't get him where I could shoot. This is because the birds made you dude, but he wasn't totally in "OH SH#T" mode. They will often kind of circle your location, but also there is just a different demeanor about the bird, he won't stand still and look, but he is always looking, he's not totally spooked but he smells a rat. In these cases take the first kill shot you get and if you have to raise up to do it, then do that. It's time to kill turkey or watch turkey walk away.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 22nd, 2013, 11:22 pm

The egg lady stopped by today to chat, she said the guy that owns the woods was talkin to her about me and asking if I was a trust worthy person :P . She said he only comes up there to run his calls and don't bother anything eles :lol: . She's been after him to get a few of them birds out of there, she had 73 birds on her front lawn Tuesday. They used to have an old barn there that the birds would roost in at night, the whole upper end towards the woods was open and the birds would fly up and roost in it. Now they took the barn down and the birds have been going back into the woods, but during the day they are all over her yard, they won't even move when she drives in and they block her driveway to the farm. She told the guy this spring she's shootin one :lol: , he told her go ahead, but don't go into the woods or his fields, if they are on her yard there game :lol: .. So she stopped by to learn how to get one, told her to get an OTC tag and she can have one of my blinds to set up in her back yard and just take a lawn chair and set in there and wait. She says NO your coming up there to call one in for me :lol: them damn things run into my yard everytime you run your calls :lol: . Hummmmmm huntin in a back yard, this will be different, maybe it'll help chase a few out of her yard?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 23rd, 2013, 1:06 am

Scott it sounds like you have a new honey hole. :D The way it sounds you might be able to just sit on the front or back porch and pick one off. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 23rd, 2013, 4:29 pm

That's what I told her, just leave the back door open. :lol:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 23rd, 2013, 9:28 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Hummmmmm huntin in a back yard, this will be different, maybe it'll help chase a few out of her yard?

If the turkey is called in and the hunter is not sitting in the house seems to me those birds are fair chase. Granted it will feel very different sitting in a yard rather than a woods but you will be doing the turkeys a favor by reminding them they are wild turkeys. :D
Sounds like a great learn to hunt laboratory. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin