First timer.

Have a question about the Turkey and Turkey Hunting forum? You'll find the answers here.

Moderator: Brian Lovett

R_TUCK

First timer.

Postby R_TUCK » February 18th, 2013, 9:02 am

Good morning all,

My name is Rob Tucker, I go by Tuck. I am becoming more interested in Turkey hunting. Our Season here in Alabama start March 15th 2013. I need a little education from others here before I trek out to bag a jake, or gobbler this year. :)

I currently have these items

1. Mossberg 500 12ga pump, with external choke. I do not currently have a plug in it yet..........suggestions
2. Only got a couple boxes of sporting shells............i know i need some #6's
3. 1 mossy oak break-up longsleeve t-shirt, has a good bit of green in it for springtime hunting...........suggestions
4. no calls, never used one........suggestions

Thanks a lot!
TUCK

Steve_In

Re: First timer.

Postby Steve_In » February 18th, 2013, 9:57 am

Welcome Tuck. Run, don't take the bait. And especially don't ever hear a gobbler sound off close. LOL :D
1 & 2 Mossberg 12 is a good gun. Go to the shooting forum to get more detailed advise on chokes and shells. My old Mossberg liked 3" Winchester turkey shells in #6 with a Mossberg x-full choke.
3 MO breakup will work, get a pair of pants in a different pattern. A vest with a seat pad will be handy too.
4 I would get a box call and go to youtube for instructions. Get good with it and get a pot call.
See what you are getting in to?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 18th, 2013, 10:07 am

Something you may want to consider is do you know anyone that will mentor you? Most turkey hunters are willing to have you come along to show you the ropes. Also I forgot to mention a good comfortable camo face mask, I carry a spare in case I lose of forget my main one.

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 18th, 2013, 10:37 am

Do not forget a good pair of boots,good luck and ask all the question you want these guy on here are great ...

R_TUCK

Postby R_TUCK » February 18th, 2013, 11:31 am

Thanks Steve!

Great info!

Yes, I have a friend a Church has been turkey hunting for 15yrs I think. I have heard about the addiction of this. I play golf too, so I see where you are coming from. lol

Yeah, I'm excited!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 18th, 2013, 4:40 pm

first welcome to the forum R-Turk . you got some good advice already . on your mossy did you mean it has a select a choke if so screw it down to full .i had a bolt mossy with one it pattern o.k but maybe you want to kick on up to number 5 shot . as for camo the shirt is fine if your on a budget brown pants are fine . calls, a box call is a great first call. the key is to pactice i would start with yelps and clucks and get so you can do them well . the guys and i will be here to help you to bag that tom.. good luck and safe hunting....wayne

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 19th, 2013, 12:00 am

Welcome aboard Tuck and as Steve has warned you welcome to your next addiction. lol.

I would go with a pot call and learn to play it before you go into the woods as best as you can. If you go to calling section you can gather a bunch of info on how to do the calls. Good luck this spring.
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 19th, 2013, 8:54 am

I play golf too,

Golf is just foolish, it gets in the way of hunting, fishing, and morel gathering.

ShepleyC26

Postby ShepleyC26 » February 25th, 2013, 3:20 pm

if you're thinking of getting serious...invest in a quality turkey vest. my first few years i didnt have one and now it comes with me everytime i hit the woods. it holds everything i could possibly need, while making them quietly and limited movement accessible

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 25th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Welcome to the T&TH forum and your newest addiction Tuck!

Sound advice from the boys so far. Gettin' in the woods and watching turkeys is the surest way to learn about 'em.

Keep them questions coming...

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Next

Return to Welcome to the Turkey and Turkey Hunting Forum