turkey hunting gear

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
1979wisconsinhunts

turkey hunting gear

Postby 1979wisconsinhunts » February 18th, 2013, 10:31 am

hi my dad is taking up turkey hunting at the new age of 80..i'm looking for lightweight gear for him to carry our to the field. mostly decoys,easy to use calls etc. mostly though decoys. any suggestions on great lightweight decoys very much appreciated. thank you

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: turkey hunting gear

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 18th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I'd look at at a small box call, a push pin call and a feather flex decoy. All together weights less than a bottle of water, and he'd have everything needed to call a bird in?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 18th, 2013, 2:37 pm

I'd look into getting him a good chair to sit in. I imagine 80 year old bones would hunt much more comfortably sitting in a decent chair than on the ground. He's got 27 years on me and I can barely hunt without one. Cabela's sells their Gobbler Lounger chair that works pretty well and is not very heavy or hard to set up.

Good for you for helping out and good luck to him this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 18th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I'm with Jim, a good chair and a ground blind will be more important than the weight of any decoys if your father is to see turkeys and or be successful.

My father is now 79 years old and has had a hip replacement. Even before the hip, he just could not hold still or sit comfortably as he could when younger and we got busted a bunch. A pop up blind and a full size chair are optimum. If you're going lighter, I would recommend a low chair like Cut-n-Run mentioned and a collapsible ground screen to hide movement. I've used these myself for years and they don't weigh much and roll up to carry in your vest. I have a couple 6 footers, great for one hunter and a 12 footer for two hunters. Best of luck and have fun!
Attachments
HS ground blind.jpg
HS ground blind.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 370 times
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

mossyoakpro

Postby mossyoakpro » February 18th, 2013, 8:24 pm

1979wisconsinhunts wrote:hi my dad is taking up turkey hunting at the new age of 80..i'm looking for lightweight gear for him to carry our to the field. mostly decoys,easy to use calls etc. mostly though decoys. any suggestions on great lightweight decoys very much appreciated. thank you

Take a look at the PHD decoy from Primos...it is lightweight and very realistic. Also a push pin as stated prior and a good stool/seat of some sort.

Best of luck this spring!!!!

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » February 18th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Rensos turk decoys are very light, I've never used them but I have some, they are made of photo realistic 2 sided water proof plastic. looks like a corrugated cardboard cut out good picture though. It's flexible but will keep a crease if bent so not the best, thats why I never used them.
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » February 19th, 2013, 8:35 am

Jim and Fan Club are right on. If you have a secure area that you have birds patterned in, then a 2 man pop-up blind and comfortable chair for dad, are a must. May or may not be extra work for you, depending on the terrian and soil moisture, but heck, the hunts for dad, correct ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 19th, 2013, 8:50 am

Go along with him. You carry the gear and Dad carries his gun and calls. If you don't want to hunt then be the official photographer and gobbler totter.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 19th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Steve_In wrote:Go along with him. You carry the gear and Dad carries his gun and calls. If you don't want to hunt then be the official photographer and gobbler totter.

^^Agree 100%
I wish I could get my Dad to hunt with me. He's legally blind and never shot a gun in his life. He taught me to fish & I owe him big time for that though. Enjoy that quality father & son time when you've still got time to make it together.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

1979wisconsinhunts

Postby 1979wisconsinhunts » February 20th, 2013, 12:17 am

thanks for all of your ideas. got a blind and some calls. now trying to find some decent decoys for him. thanks again

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion