FANNING TURKEYS?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Re: FANNING TURKEYS?

Postby dewey » February 15th, 2013, 11:59 am

Like others have said I think there are certain cicumstances where this could be used safely, wide open areas such as fields, and other areas where in my opinion this may not be a wise decision, woods or very thick cover. I am not sure if I will use it but it is another tool in the toolbox.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 17th, 2013, 11:11 am

Fan Club wrote:I don't oppose it if it's your cup of tea, as I don't like others to pass judgement on the way I choose to hunt. Just like using a strutter decoy, it can be very dangerous so take please take that into consideration.

To me, the ultimate challenge is to sneak within shooting range of a henned up boss gobbler that ignores calling with nothing but perseverance in tow. Decoys and fans cater to a bird's instincts but a flat out sneak has to fool many sets of eyes and ears.

The most rewarding hunts I've had often took several hours of crawling across ditches, standing water and open pasture with little to no cover. Just what I like to do and am very good at.

Sounds a lot like me. If they don't respond, I go into the "whatever it takes" mode :D
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Good for you Onpoint! "Whatever It Takes" should be on my business card.

There was time in the not too distant past where we couldn't discuss these tactics on this forum without being crucified. The purists would say if you're a good enough caller you can always get the gobbler to come in and sneaking to tag one defeated the purpose and was cheating. Using decoys was also deemed cheating and god forbid you bring up a tactic like fanning...put your seat belt on!

That purist line of thought conveniently overlooks some important facts. First, often calling will just push the hens to lead a henned up gobbler in the other direction. Game over. Second, if you are down to the last hours of an expensive out of state hunt, there is no tomorrow... you have to make something happen now. This was often the case where I learned to turkey hunt on public land in Missouri.

One of my favorite quotes, that I still repeat often, came from my turkey hunting mentor. He would say, "You can sit here calling... wishin' and a hoping and a prayin'...or, you can get up and go make something happen." Amen.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm

it sounds like an interesting tactic but i don't know if i would do it . like Fan Club i'm not above sneaking up on a tom if i feel i need to. if it's legel in your area have at it but as many have said please be careful . thinking about it i don't think i would use this tactic in any area that allows rifles and we need to know that some of our fellow hunters may be using this tactic and really be on the ball when shooting that tom this spring so we have no mishaps and i also like the fact that we can decuss these types of subjects like grown ups and stay respectful with each other...wayne

dewey

Postby dewey » March 15th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Here are a couple of more videos on turkey fanning or turkey reaping or whatever it is called. I cannot see myself going through the edge of trees to use this tactic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHuYaYv2UBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAemf7ubDUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg4924ahPPI

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 17th, 2013, 9:20 am

I tried using a gobbler tail fan as part of my hunting strategy for the first time last year on a limited basis,...mainly because I wanted to see for myself if it was the "magic bullet" I had been hearing that it was. My conclusion: fanning is an amazingly effective way to kill gobblers, especially dominate birds. It is not unlike using a full strut decoy,..but less cumbersome. I believe as soon as the word gets out about its effectiveness, everybody except the real "purists" will be carrying a fold-up fan in their vests.

Having hunted spring gobblers since the mid-60's, I am kind of a purist myself. I personally take the most satisfaction from killing a gobbler by using nothing but a turkey call (and shotgun) as my only "device" in hunting. However, I also like to have other options available in those cases where a gobbler is giving me fits and will not come to my calling.

Even with my semi-purist attitude, I will be carrying a gobbler tail fan with me from now on. It is that effective,...at least at this point in time where gobblers have not been subjected to the tactic long enough to figure out that approaching a tail fan being waved in the air might be dangerous to their health. It is also pretty fun to sit behind a fan and have a dominant gobbler come marching up to you in full strut, spitting and drumming, and fighting mad.

However, any hunter that decides to use this tactic should be aware that using a fan could potentially be just as dangerous to his own health as it is to any gobbler. It should be used discreetly and with a full measure of caution. I am sure there are plenty of places where nobody in his right mind should be waving a gobbler tailfan around, especially in those states where using rifles for turkey hunting is still legal.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an awful lot of mature, dominant gobblers that get their snoods slammed in the dirt by hunters that take up fanning in the next few years.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion