Strange Behavior

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ylpnfol

Strange Behavior

Postby ylpnfol » February 13th, 2013, 10:21 am

i drove past a spot the other day where i saw some strange behavior last year, maybe march, i went to town one morning, it was raining on and off, so i expected to see some birds in the fields along the way, and i did, when i got about a mile from the house on the way home, there were 3 gobblers feeding along a woodlot, 15-20 yds off the road, so i cruised on by and did what every good turkey nut would do, i turned around for another look, i slowly drove by, which made them very nervous, they started running and 2 of them flew over a wove wire fence, that ran along the woods, and headed into the timber, the other did not and kept running back and forth, trying to get thru the fence, before long the other two came back to the fence, where the other one was still trying to get thru, i watched for awhile, finally they all just laid down next to the fence, two on the inside, one on the outside, i called a buddy and told him about what i'd seen, he called me, 2 hrs later and said they were still sitting beside the fence, 2 hours after that [ 4 hours after intial encounter ] i decided to ride back and see if they were still there, low and behold they were, soooo i pulled off the road to see how close i could get to them, as i was crossing the road, the county animal control officer pulled up [ who my buddy had called, but i didn't know it at the time ] as we walked up to them, they started aggressive purring, we got about 10 feet from them, the ones in the woods headed into the woods, the one on our side started running back and forth again, then fiiiinally took flight and flew over the fence, where i guess he reunited w/ his comrades, i thought it was kinda neat that they didn't abandon there not very bright buddy, have never seen them again, but i think about it everytime i drive by that spot.....so was just curious as to any strange, out of the ordinary, behaviors any of you guys had seen, by our feathered foe....
David

You never know, unless you go

turkey junky

Re: Strange Behavior

Postby turkey junky » February 13th, 2013, 2:26 pm

seen a kinda similar thing when we were hunting florida osceolas a few yrs ago...

we were hunting public lands over ran with other out of state hunters & were not even hearing gobbles or hens talk & were kinda saying how smart these osceolas must be on our way to a nice beach front hotel room we got for the nite to rest my my dads bones he had just got done with his last radeation treatment so he wanted a bed to sleep on lol

any way on our way to the hotel we passed a gator or fish pond & there was a big ol gobbler pacing back & fourth on the far side of the pond we just stoped & watched as he did this for a good 10 min we only watched that long as it was my 1st look at a osceola gobbler he just kept on pacing back & fourth so we left... next day we got the hotel room again so on our way we seen that gobbler in the same spot doing the same pace back & fourth thing? we talked about how close he was to the public land & we wish he would come our way & then we left...

after 4 more days of seeing that gobbler in the same field same spot in fence & doing the same pace back & fourth thing we decided that maybe not every osceola is as smart as we thought??? lol we were only there for a 7 days we seen him 5 days doing this pace back & fourth we hunted else wear prior to that but id bet he was doing that 7 days at least but we only seen him do that 5 in a row i said man i wish i had more time here i could just wait till that gobbler dies of exhaustion or dehydration & go get my osceola!!! lol

there was no a damn tree in that fenced in pond & the grass was like a golf course the fence was 6-8 ft high but that dose not stop a gobbler if he wants to fly it we seen a turkey fly the hi way near there also? any way with no cover or roost trees in that field the turkey either had to fly out of the fence each nite to roost & then fly down & pace back & fourth all day each day or he just roosted on the ground like a pheasant would??? it was crazy to me!!!

we still talk about that pen turkey lol it was wild & was no pet it was a big ol stud osceola we could see his spurs man he was old & must of been pretty dumb or real smart as there were hunters in every direction around him & he was still alive when we left!!!???

my brother also damn near caught a jake 2 yrs ago he was also pacing a narrow strip of land between 2 fences & when my brother seen him lying there he thought it was dead he seen it there 2 days in a row so he got off the hi way & went over for a look & the jake just lay down & let him get really close when he was 10-6 ft away the bird jumped up & ran write at him & fly over the fence & just kept flying??? guess my brother saved its life???

turkeys are smart & real dumb at the same time i guess!!!???

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 13th, 2013, 6:11 pm

You think some turkeys act weird, have you ever watched turkey hunters very closely
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 13th, 2013, 9:28 pm

eggshell wrote:You think some turkeys act weird, have you ever watched turkey hunters very closely

nothing stranger according to my wife, very nice, enjoyed the reply to charlie's post as well
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 14th, 2013, 5:15 am

My cousin and I were driving down the road and saw a hen about 15 ft from the road. When we got close to her she took off in flight. She was flying as hard as she could and didnt see the barb wire fence ahead of her. Her head it the top wire and she looped around that wire 3 times and then slammed down on the ground.

We were both stunned on what we had seen and turned around to pick her up. We figured she was dead but when we drove into the field we never could find her. We found a bunch of feathers but apparently she lived. Amazing how tough them little buggers can be sometimes.

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » February 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm

I was bowhunting turkeys in Iowa years ago and was driving down a back road,in a bad thunder storm, when a gobbler ran in front of me and into a little field with a woven wire fence.I too slowed down to see he was having problems with navigation of said fence.My far superior brain said wade the creek and go get him.I didn't see him the first time and back tracked to see he was still there.So i moved into position and saw his head poking through the fence.He finally flew over and as he walked away I shot and watched my arrow fly left and miss.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion