Fall/Winter hunts

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
fallhunt

Fall/Winter hunts

Postby fallhunt » February 9th, 2013, 10:12 am

With the Fall/Winter season over for 9 days I thought I would post some pics. I started in MO. in Sept. I called 8 longbeards into bow range but couldn't get a shot due to groundblind design.So in Oct. Rich and I went back for shotgun season.A duck hunter told us about watching 8 longbeards all day by the lake and so it was on.I set Rich up in a good spot and I walked on down the shoreline and set up.Rich was in the best spot and filled both tags with 2 MO. public land longbeards.Nov. brought some luck and I took 2 public land birds,a jake and hen,with my bow.Then came the trip to KS.and NE.in Dec. Out west 8 birds went down on my bowhunt.4 longbeards and 4 jakes.Jan. Rich and Rick killed 4 birds in my public land honey hole in KS. but I don't have a pic of those and they also took a bird each on public land with a bow back home this fall.Now it's over and a short wait for Spring.March will find back in NE. to start but my thoughts will be in the fall woods.
Attachments
NE 2012 001.jpg
Last two out west in the snow
NE 2012 001.jpg (343.23 KiB) Viewed 751 times
birds2012 001.jpg
My public land hunt
birds2012 001.jpg (481.09 KiB) Viewed 751 times
rich mo 2012 001.jpg
Rich in MO.
rich mo 2012 001.jpg (240.42 KiB) Viewed 751 times

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Fall/Winter hunts

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 9th, 2013, 11:54 am

Sounds like a great season, bunch a good looking birds. I'm also now a big fan of the fall season, thing I'm going to miss most about fall season this spring is the lack of pressure from other hunters. It sure is nice to have the woods to yourself.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 9th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Congratulations on the hunts this fall!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » February 10th, 2013, 8:18 am

Congrats on some fine birds!!!!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 11th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Fall hunting is where it's at, the spring hunt helps pass the time to fall; sure makes for a nice circle. Congrats on your good hunts.
BTW, I can only see 2 pictures on my screen, one right side up, one upside down and a lot of blank area.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 11th, 2013, 3:20 pm

great turkeys ill have to try the fall season once...???

but it can never compare in my eyes to the spring season full of new life color singing birds & gobblers all spread out... spring is wear its at for me... nothing could compare... i just cant get into the fall???

like gopher said bout the only thing i would like about the fall hunt is no other turkey hunters around but my luck id find plenty of bow hunters sit n & wait n ???

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 11th, 2013, 5:44 pm

What you learn from fall hunting will help you on your spring hunts. The vocalizations that you hear birds doing in the fall are about twice from what you hear in the spring hunts. There is no better time to learn turkey talk, and different calls they use and the meanings of them. If your a good spring hunter, you'll be 3 times better, once you learn how to fall hunt. It will teach you woodsmanship, calling, and most important, understanding what birds like to do and why they do it. Your scouting is very important in the fall, because you won't call birds in from long distances like you can in the spring, but they do come to a call very well. I find it easier to call gobblers in the fall, once you've found them and get in close enough to work them. It will also teach you how to move on birds and get in close enough to them, so what you learn in the fall will help you in the spring, more than what you've thought possible.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 11th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Hey TJ, I dare you to try fall turkey hunting only once...
Because once you try it you'll be back for more. You're handle is not turkey junky for nothing is it? :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 11th, 2013, 9:21 pm

turkey junky wrote:
but it can never compare in my eyes to the spring season full of new life color singing birds & gobblers all spread out... spring is wear its at for me... nothing could compare... i just cant get into the fall???

l

I used to think like this, then I saw the error of my ways :D

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » February 12th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Very coll thanks for sharing!
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion